pricing differences from lower 48

valj

We are planning to hit the Wal-Mart in anchorage to stock up for our pre cruise time(mainly in seward). What type of prices can we expect for basics? I am talking about milk, bottled water, etc. I'm wondering what to bring from home vs. buy there. Also, after much agonizing, what is the TOP non flight tour in Seward, juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan? Family of 4, not scared of anything.Thanks,Val:D

You are going to love Alaska! I don't shop at wal-mart, but I pay anywhere from $3.00 to $3.50 for a gallon of milk. I think a case of water from Sams club is about $7.00. A case of soda at Sams is about $7.50 (depending on what you drink we like coke products). Bread varies wildly depending on the type of bread and what store you are in.

When deciding what to bring remember that most of the airlines have a 50 lb. per bag weight limit.

Have a great time

;) thanks, acm, I guess I should have clarified that I am not going to bring milk (or other heavy things)in my suitcase:D. I was mainly wondering about things like a little bit of detergent ,etc. Milk here runs about the same price so maybe sticker shock won't be too bad. val

I've lived in Alaska for over 21 years and travel frequently to the Lower 48, with my last trip to Las Vegas just last week...

Ten years or more ago the prices in the largest Alaska city (Anchorage) were pretty steep, as were the prices in Fairbanks (my home) due to several factors including lack of competition and shipping methods. Now that there are stores like WalMart in Alaska, really - the price for groceries is about that of the Lower 48. It used to be I'd go to a grocery store in Virginia or Florida or California and be amazed at how inexpensive everything was! Now there is nothing amazing about the differences when you actually do find differences. Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a gallon of milk at Fred Meyer in Fairbanks for $2.00. There are deals everywhere. Today I saw bread for as little as .99 and as much as $4.39 for the premium stuff. The quality of the produce in the Lower 48 is better than up here, but we are now able to purchase produce that at least has some resembelence to that "Down There" - Our oranges are orange and our mushrooms are fabulous.

All in all, I don't think you'll be sticker-shocked when you get here.

If you travel to the villages and smaller towns like Barrow, Cordova, Valdez, Nome, Galena or wherever you WILL pay a lot more for groceries.

Cheers!

Taters

Seward has a Safeway grocery store that has the same weekly ads as the Anchorage stores. A few things not on sale will be a tad higher but the 6% sales tax that Seward has makes the most difference. You might want to get a Safeway card for discounts, they are free.( Or I'll give you my # for the airline miles!)

Cigarettes are actually a buck or more cheaper in Seward.

Gas $3.04 Anc $2.81

The produce is what gets me the most. Growing up on a farm and seeing the older stuff up here...sighhh, I miss fresh corn on the cob the most!

You may want to check the prices at those grocery stores on line. Find out the zip code for the places you'll be in Alaska. Then go to the Safeway, or whatever other store, website, type in the zip code and you can access the weekly sales ad.

Thanks everybody! Your gas is actually a little cheaper than ours now! (Alabama).

Glacier Lady, have you ever heard of Midnight Sun cabins? They are close to seward.

Thanks! :D

Archived