REVIEW – Kenneth’s Dive Center, St. Kitts, 3/29/2006

w&k

Dive review – Kenneth’s Dive Center, St. Kitts

March 29, 2006 (RCCL Empress of the Seas)

Rating of 1-5 stars:

Overall *****

People *****

Equipment *****

Diving ***** (Wreck ***** 55ft/43min Kenneth’s reef #1 ***** 67ft/45min)

Kenneth’s Dive Center will DEFINITELY be my contacted operation when diving St. Kitts.

Personal dive biases: I am a Floridian with >350 dives, certification through rescue. My diving experience has been under all sorts of conditions, but I no longer dive rough, deep or cold water (why bother?), and avoid weekend warriors whenever possible. My diving preference is drifting on reefs, and I have been known to bring home a bug or two.

I originally dove with Kenneth’s Dive Center through a shorex from the Celebrity Zenith in November 2004. We had such a good time with them that I contacted them for our independent booking. The website http://www.kennethsdivecenter.com was clean and functional. My E-mail was answered promptly, personally and courteously by Gail. They were having some trouble with the website, so we corresponded through another E-mail address (kdcsk@yahoo.com). As we were returning divers, there was no deposit to hold our spots. Luckily, Gail noticed that we had had an itinerary change and two of our port days had been swapped. I also received instructions on how to reach the dive boat by a short walk off the ship. My booking was very early, so I sent a couple of confirmation E-mails during the wait for our trip.

We made it off the ship just after the first rush, and walked over to the marina, which is just a couple minute walk to the left outside the port main gate. We filled in the standard forms, and I paid cash for our dives, with a 15% discount coupon from http://passengerdiscount.dxine.com:54321/affiliates/cruiseshoppes/coupons.php3?id=27. There was a long dive trip using the large boat, so we had the smaller boat for the day after a bit of confusion of who was going where. The ‘smaller’ boat was approximately a 30 footer, and we had lots of space and shade for 7 divers, DM Barry, Captain Kenneth (himself!), and Yellowman crewing. We loaded up and headed out when everyone got organized. After some discussion, we decided to do a reefy wreck first, and a reef second. Fills were 2800-3000. Barry was our divemaster.

Dive #1 – Wreck. Barry and Kenneth gave a short dive briefing on-site, and told us what to expect to see. We hopped in, and descended. Well, everyone but me, anyway (stupid &%# wetsuit). I went back to the platform, and Kenneth handed me another 2. Still no descent (?!?!?!). Kenneth tucked another 4 in my pockets, and that worked wonders. Just another example of how a diver can look like an idiot right off the mark. Now that I FINALLY had enough lead, I flipped over and joined the group on the bottom. Very pretty dive, with broken wreckage lying around and huge coral heads. Lots of variety in soft and hard corals, sponges, and lots and lots of critters. When I unloaded my weights and counted after the dive, it turned out that I was 4 short when I went into the water. Oops #1 for the day.

Our surface interval was about 1:15, and we changed over tanks, swapped lies, and moved to the new site. Kenneth is the original diver on the island, and knows all the nooks and crannies of great reef – he said this spot was one no one else knew about. I noticed somewhere during the interval that my camera was out in the sun – I moved it back into the shade and didn’t think anything about it at the time. Oops #2 for the day.

Dive #2 – Kenneth’s reef #1.

Dropped to the bottom with the group this time, and what a gorgeous section of untouched reef!!!! Lots of variety of hard and soft corals, and more sponges than the first dive. Lots and lots of plate-type coral built up into heads. Lots of baby fish and fry were hanging out in the nooks and crannies. I started to shoot pictures, but noticed some condensation in my lens. Upon closer inspection, it was not just condensation, but water as well. Crud!!!!! Oh NO!!!!

We were dropped back off at the marina, walked back to the ship, and headed up to the pool deck for a gear and beer.

Excellent operation, people, boat and diving. What else can I say? We returned and will come back again!

After my camera dried out for several days, it did appear to function again. I was successfully able to download the photos, but nothing came out very well. However, the previous dive photos are posted at http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Thanks for the review. I was in St. Kitts in February but wasn't sure who to dive with. Now I know for when I return there next February.

Denny

Archived