Amsterdam/Basel Avalon Tapestry

mac321

Thanks for your offer to share information about your cruise. I gather you are on the cruise now??? How fun that you are willing to share experiences while they are fresh!!! I hope that river levels and weather are optimal for your trip.

We are traveling with Viking in June, and I've compared your itinerary to ours. So, I am interested mainly in what you think is worth seeing and doing and NOT seeing/doing in Amsterdam, Cologne, Rudesheim and Mainz, which are the only stops we have in common. I've heard both good and bad about how valuable the Mechanical Music Museum is in Rudesheim and wonder what you will think about that once you get there (next Tuesday?). Some have said it is better to skip the museum and instead take the cable cars up to the top and walk down to town through the vineyards.

I enjoy reading all the trip reports on this board, even for ships and stops that are not similar to mine. Thanks again for your willingness to report!

We had four days in Amsterdam prior to boarding Tapestry and were able to see a few of the attractions. The Rijksmuseum was outstanding, so much so that we queued in the rain for two hours today to see it for a second time.

The Van Gogh Museum is also worth a visit - it currently has a Rembrandt/Carrivagio exhibition where you are able to view both artists works side by side and see the similaraties in their style.

A visit to Anne Frank house is a moving experience. The queue wasn't too bad when we were there but apparently it can be quite long at times.

We also toured the Scheepvaart Museum (maritime), and did a canal cruise.

If time is limited, I would pick the Rijksmuseum (be prepared for a long queue) and a canal cruise although it is hard not to put Anne Frank house somewhere near the top.

I am looking forward to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh. I'm interested that you went back today. How much time do you estimate is needed to see the whole collection (which I understand is limited now to the best works and all in one wing during reconstruction of the museum building)?

I'm looking forward to your continuing reports!

Two hours will give enough time to view the exhibition. Entry is 10 euro per person, once inside you can hire a pre recorded guide which you activate at designated places. Put on the earphones and off you go. Cost for 2 sets and a 140 page guide to the Masterpieces is 11 euros - great value.

Would suggest you read up on a few of the paintings you will see as you will then have a better understanding of what is in front of you. In particular look for The Night Watch (Rembrandt), Banquet in celebration of the Treaty of Munster (van der Helst), The Kitchen Maid (Vermeer), River View by Moonlight (van der Neer).

I'm so excited you are on the same cruise we are going on May 18. How is the fitness center? Are there healthy meal choices? How much time at sea vs. on land? I'm concerned about getting exercising and eating healthy, obviously. With a traditional cruise I prefer to walk the track on the ship, take aerobic classes and take active excursions like biking so I'm nervous about this trip.

Also, can you give me an idea of how to pack? What's the dressiest thing I need? What is the weather like during the day? Shorts?

Hope you are having an incredible time! Thanks in advance.

The fitness centre has two exercise bikes and one rowing machine.

There is a buffet breakfast and lunch with many choices in hot and cold dishes.

The menu for dinner has a choice of three entrees including a salad, two soups, fish, beef or vegetarian main, and two deserts.

The dress standard on board is neat and casual - nothing too flashy at all. A few of the men are wearing coats but I imagine that is what they normally do.

Time on boat and shore - day 2 we did the included Amsterdam canal tour for an hour or so in the morning. At that point we left the group we were with and went to the Rijksmuseum. The others went back to the ship for lunch, and then had the option for two tours in the afternoon. You would have about 6 hours of free time on land if you wanted it on day 2.

Day 3 we are in Dordrecht in the morning and have a trip to Kinderdijk. An extra half hour on this trip would make it much better. Back to the ship then travel to Rotterdam. There is an included trip to The Hague in the afternoon that took 4 hours. This was not worth doing. A lot of time was spent travelling in the bus and only two stops for 15 minutes each. This time would be better spent walking around Rotterdam.

Day 4

Travelled most of the night to Arnhem. Included tour in the morning to the Hartenstein Museum was very good. Learnt a lot about Operation Market Garden.

This tour gets back to the ship at 11am which left plenty of time to walk around town before departure at 3pm.

If think you will be doing a lot of walking around the towns, I would suggest downloading and printing maps of the towns where the ship stops during the day. We wasted a lot of time trying to find a camera shop to burn digital photos to cd, and then more time to locate the post office to send the cds home. A map of the towns will make your own excursions a lot easier.

We are going may 27th on the Avalon Tapestry,I can't wait.:) I am worried that we will not have enough time in Basel and Amsterdam.Did you find that?We are on the top floor [p category]What things are of great importance to bring?Do the rooms have t.v and are they in English?Are you with tours alot,and do you have alot of free time?Thanks for any imfo:confused:

The reply I posted yesterday seems to be lost in space so I'll try again. I think this is close to what I wrote in that message.

We arrived in Amsterdam four days before we sailed. That gave us enough time to get over the flight, and see everything we wanted to.

On the second day, Monday, we did the canal tour and then left the group to go to the Rijksmuseum. If your program is the same as ours, you will have about six hours free time which might be enough to see the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum, depending on the queues. An extra day in Amsterdam would let you see most sights.

We used the tram system a lot, #16 has a stop very close to the ship. Buy a strip ticket from a newsagent or your hotel as it is cheaper than paying on the tram.

Each stateroom has a television with about 16 channels. The first five or six are in english, as is the movie channel. One channel is hooked up to a camera on the bow, another has a map showing current location of ship.

I can't think of anything you would need to bring with you - the ship and your stateroom have everything you could want. You will do a lot of walking on the tours and private excursions so good shoes are important.

We have taken most of the tours offered and have still had more than enough time to go our own way.

I am using my own computer.There are two computers for internet on board, however they are not working on this trip. Cost is 2.40 euro/minute. I have seen internet cafes in most towns.

You are going to love this trip. We are on the Mosel now. The scenery is magnificent - terraced vineyards clinging to the sides of hills on both sides of the river, steeply pitched slate roofs on white walled houses with daik painted timberwork, ancient castles standing guard over the river, white swans - this is one continuous postcard.

I'm am enjoying your trip tremendously. I will be going on a similar one in Aug. on a different line and after reading your posts, makes me more excited than ever. Please keep telling us about the trip.

Carole

There is no laundry on board, they do have a laundry service.

You will need a power point adoptor and possibly a converter if you have phones or cameras that need charging. The power points on Tapestry are the standard European type with two circular connectors.

We are now half way through our trip. The highlights have been the cathedral at Cologne (walk up the tower if you can - 509 steps), Koblenz, and Cochem (don't miss the included castle tour).

Luxembourg tour today. The scheduled optional tour is to go to Gen. Paton memorial. Some of the passengers who did this tour were not happy with the travelling time v time too see the sights (see previous post re The Hague - similar problem). An additional tour to Luxembourg city was added to the optional schedule. We did this and enjoyed the walk through the city, and also the opportunity to view the countryside from the bus.

In addition to any medication that keeps you alive and well, bring whatever gets you through a cold or flu. Many passengers on this trip have caught a very severe flu and it is impossible to buy any recognizable remedies.

Thanks, Mac. That's good advice about over-the-counter meds. I tried to find something akin to Zicam once in Paris when I was coming down with a cold (don't we always get sick from airplane air?) and the pharmacists had no idea what I was asking for. In Australia I wanted a motion-sickness med before a rough catamaran ferry ride and what I found was strange-tasting - like unsweetened licorice. So, best to bring your own.

Did you get to Rudesheim? If so, what were your impressions and what did you do there?

Rudesheim is one of the better stops. It is a smaller town, lots of gift shops and cafes. The music museum tour and the Rudesheimer coffee at the Schloss Hotel are both worth doing. We also had enough time to walk around town.

Further to my previous note re medication, you might find taking some general antibiotics helpful.

Hi, Mac321,

I expect you may be back home and resting up from your adventure. You were so kind to report from the boat on your trip and your suggestion regarding meds was really helpful as I plan what to take on mine. I hope once you are over the jet lag you will share an overview of your experiences. Thanks!:)

Archived