Review Cozumel

bellazoemom

I will take a clip from my whole review of Miracle:

Day 4, Cozumel:

This day was probably my least favorite. Tendering was really bad this day. We met in the Phantom with all the other tours to get of on the first tender. If you didn’t say you had a tour they said you may not get off until 11:00. So off we went. We had to wait for an hour in the phantom and then wait in a 600 person line down the stairwells to get to the first tender. Not a fun time. We got to the pier and a nice man at Fat Tuesdays let my daughter use the restroom even though they weren’t open yet. We then took a cab to Playa Palancar. We decided on this beach because it was going to be the least crowded and I read the beach was not badly affected by Wilma. First let me say, the staff was REALLY nice. (except the hairbraiders) We got there and all you see is plastic chairs and tables. There are a few old wood loungers and the staff said you can rent a floating water mat to put on them. The beach has lost a lot of sand and the water is no where close to pretty and clear. It is like Clearwater beach in Florida (which is not clear, lol). You have to have water shoes to enter as there is a lot of sharp coral and shells. There was very little shade on shore. Wilma took away almost all vegetation on the entire island. The beach overall was a very big disappointment and my group was a little upset with me because I picked it. However….the other people who went to other beach clubs told me the beach was exactly the same as we experienced, but those other places were very busy and over crowded. I will say, on a positive note, that the food and drinks were priced well and the guacamole was very good. The hairbraiders came around and offered to do my daughters hair for one price and once my daughter got there (my DH walked her over), they changed the price and then only gave her 3 braids for $10. Not a very good deal. I walked over and asked about the price change and they were not very nice to me…speaking to each other in Spanish and rolling their eyes. Not a great experience. We then decide to leave and do some shopping close to the pier. So we walk up to the cab driver that wants twice as much to get back as they wanted to get to the beach. At first I protested, but he explained (threatened) he would tell all other cabs not to come to that beach and we would be stuck there. Nice. So we got in the cab and went back. We did some shopping and went back to the ship. I will never go to the beach in Cozumel again. It is not the prettiest water and the people we encountered were so rude. (Not the wait staff at Palancar, they were great). We also bought a hammock in a store at the pier, the store had the words “flea market” in it…anyway we got it home and it is a dud. We hung it and only my 2 yr old can fit in it. It is really small and stiff nylon. Bummer. It then took us over an hour to tender back to the ship. I wish I would have spent my day some other way.

How unfortunate your day was so disappointing...just some things to keep in mind ....sometimes the water is not as clear as others due to currents, the el norte and storms. Most days it is clear.

Taxi rates are set by zone and this driver would have been in serious trouble if you chose to pursue it. There are inscrupulous people everywhere...At the very least, I would have noted the cab number, the time and location and reported what occurred to Princess and would have also alerted the manager at Playa Palancer...It is in their best interest for things like this to not happen.

If you were unhappy with the price of the hairbraiders, (which was very high) I would have had them done in town..you can usually negotiate between 1-2 dollars a braid...I hope you didn't tip her!! As for the hammock, we have found that the prices are higher and items have questionable quality the closer the shops are to the main street and piers. The best shopping is found further back on the side streets. Did they have one hammock displayed? I always check items before I buy no matter where I am as I have also been "taken" at other vacation spots.

It would be sad to let the actions of these people taint your perception of the island. Yes, Wilma destroyed much of the vegetation but it is coming back...Hope you will give it another chance down the line.

Archived