Question about St. Thomas

Fun~N~Sun

Fun-N Sun: As if you needed more advice on the STT beach question, here's my "pitch." First, while I agree a trip to St John is time well spent, I'd be hesitant to recommend it to a first timer on a ship with a set departure time. I think the stress related to "will I make it?!?!" would set in fairly early. I'd stick to one island on this trip. STT is not an island where you'll find a stretch of "happenin" beaches with bars, music, retaurants, etc. like you'd find (I'm told) on St. Maarten at Orient or some place like that. As beautiful as Megan's is, snorkeling is essentially non-existent (if that's your thing) and it can get pretty crowded when multiple ships are in port. I'm partial to Sapphire having bought a timeshare there 12 years ago. We've only missed twice, and those were cruise years. I think this spot has a little bit of everything for everybody. Still not that happenin, but a gorgeous beach with tremendous down-island views of St. John, Jost van Dyke and Tortola. Snorkeling is just off shore in fairly shallow water, but some flotation may be required in the slightly deeper spots if you think you'd have trouble treading water and clearing your mask at the same time! Snorkel gear available for rent, but know that resort guests get priority. Other water sports are also available for rent - kayaks, hobie cats, wind surfers, etc. The fact that it's attached to a resort could be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. More people, but also more modern facilities and amenities. Nice restrooms and an outdoor shower. You can also rent chairs here (again, resort guests first), and there's no need for umbrellas as it's among the only beaches on the island that I've seen that affords plenty of natural shade. Park under one of the many sea grape tress that line the beach, or further back from the water under a palm tree. Plenty of spots with full sun too. And the beach is pretty wide. Room for a volley ball court and you can usually rustle up a game with no problem. There's a beach bar and a basic resort restaurant (read only OK food w/ high prices) and also a bar and grill (sandwiches, burgers and fries and still a bit pricey) down by the pool. Another plus - you can probably park by the pool and use it if you're somewhat discrete, and don't wave your cruise line towel around too much. And the setting for the pool is also unmatched in my opinion. It sits on a point that juts out into the sea just slightly and the views are great. Going down the beach a bit further (I've been taking you to your right as you enter the beach area from reception), you'll find this to be mostly deserted. A little rockier and a little more windy, but you'll probably own it. Picture the number 3 laying on it's side with the open end up. The pool is where the two halves come together, and the right hand side (as you're looking at the ocean) is where the less crowded beach is. And if you go a little further still, you'll find the Sapphire Beach Marina. Pictureseque depending on the boats tied up at the time, but also the place to find the power water sports like jet skis and parasailing rides (not connected to the resort). As for those on this thread that have said Sapphire is not crowded, I have seen slow days but I'm usually there Easter week when it's packed. The resort runs pretty full from January to April. And if you're there on a Sunday (probably not if you're sailing out of SJU) you'll get to enjoy the weekly beach party. This is as happenin as I've seen at any beach there. There is a live calypso band that plays from 2 - 6 and dancing reigns. It's definitely crowded on Sundays, and locals are an integral part of the mix. I'll do my best to be politically correct here, but know that when I mention locals it's not to warn you about any nefarious people or activities. It seems to be a big day out for them, and they arrive dressed very nicely and ready to party. You may even be able to learn a few interesting dance moves from them, however, my hips don't move that way anymore--not that they ever could! So there's Sapphire. Not a real biased review, eh?!?! Having said all that, you may want to try Coki too. Very close to Sapphire (5 minute ride), and very possible to do both in the same day even if on a crusie ship. The approach to Coki may make you think you're on the "wrong side" of the island, but fear not. You're fine. Plenty of food and drink here too, but sold out of little shacks along the beach. Snorkeling may be a little better, but the beach is much more narrow and shade is at a premium. Right next to Coral World--an aqurium/zoo/park-like place--which you might put on your list if you have young children. Coki also has beginning scuba lessons available if you're into that. VERY crowded on cruise ship days. Sorry to be so long. Sounded like you're interested in all the detail you can get. Enjoy your trip, and your day on St. Thomas!

Fun-N Sun: As if you needed more advice on the STT beach question, here's my "pitch." First, while I agree a trip to St John is time well spent, I'd be hesitant to recommend it to a first timer on a ship with a set departure time. I think the stress related to "will I make it?!?!" would set in fairly early. I'd stick to one island on this trip. STT is not an island where you'll find a stretch of "happenin" beaches with bars, music, retaurants, etc. like you'd find (I'm told) on St. Maarten at Orient or some place like that. As beautiful as Megan's is, snorkeling is essentially non-existent (if that's your thing) and it can get pretty crowded when multiple ships are in port. I'm partial to Sapphire having bought a timeshare there 12 years ago. We've only missed twice, and those were cruise years. I think this spot has a little bit of everything for everybody. Still not that happenin, but a gorgeous beach with tremendous down-island views of St. John, Jost van Dyke and Tortola. Snorkeling is just off shore in fairly shallow water, but some flotation may be required in the slightly deeper spots if you think you'd have trouble treading water and clearing your mask at the same time! Snorkel gear available for rent, but know that resort guests get priority. Other water sports are also available for rent - kayaks, hobie cats, wind surfers, etc. The fact that it's attached to a resort could be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. More people, but also more modern facilities and amenities. Nice restrooms and an outdoor shower. You can also rent chairs here (again, resort guests first), and there's no need for umbrellas as it's among the only beaches on the island that I've seen that affords plenty of natural shade. Park under one of the many sea grape tress that line the beach, or further back from the water under a palm tree. Plenty of spots with full sun too. And the beach is pretty wide. Room for a volley ball court and you can usually rustle up a game with no problem. There's a beach bar and a basic resort restaurant (read only OK food w/ high prices) and also a bar and grill (sandwiches, burgers and fries and still a bit pricey) down by the pool. Another plus - you can probably park by the pool and use it if you're somewhat discrete, and don't wave your cruise line towel around too much. And the setting for the pool is also unmatched in my opinion. It sits on a point that juts out into the sea just slightly and the views are great. Going down the beach a bit further (I've been taking you to your right as you enter the beach area from reception), you'll find this to be mostly deserted. A little rockier and a little more windy, but you'll probably own it. Picture the number 3 laying on it's side with the open end up. The pool is where the two halves come together, and the right hand side (as you're looking at the ocean) is where the less crowded beach is. And if you go a little further still, you'll find the Sapphire Beach Marina. Pictureseque depending on the boats tied up at the time, but also the place to find the power water sports like jet skis and parasailing rides (not connected to the resort). As for those on this thread that have said Sapphire is not crowded, I have seen slow days but I'm usually there Easter week when it's packed. The resort runs pretty full from January to April. And if you're there on a Sunday (probably not if you're sailing out of SJU) you'll get to enjoy the weekly beach party. This is as happenin as I've seen at any beach there. There is a live calypso band that plays from 2 - 6 and dancing reigns. It's definitely crowded on Sundays, and locals are an integral part of the mix. I'll do my best to be politically correct here, but know that when I mention locals it's not to warn you about any nefarious people or activities. It seems to be a big day out for them, and they arrive dressed very nicely and ready to party. You may even be able to learn a few interesting dance moves from them, however, my hips don't move that way anymore--not that they ever could! So there's Sapphire. Not a real biased review, eh?!?! Having said all that, you may want to try Coki too. Very close to Sapphire (5 minute ride), and very possible to do both in the same day even if on a crusie ship. The approach to Coki may make you think you're on the "wrong side" of the island, but fear not. You're fine. Plenty of food and drink here too, but sold out of little shacks along the beach. Snorkeling may be a little better, but the beach is much more narrow and shade is at a premium. Right next to Coral World--an aqurium/zoo/park-like place--which you might put on your list if you have young children. Coki also has beginning scuba lessons available if you're into that. VERY crowded on cruise ship days. Sorry to be so long. Sounded like you're interested in all the detail you can get. Enjoy your trip, and your day on St. Thomas!

You are right, I like details and you certainly provided that! I'll definitely share it with the rest of my family and let them help decide where we want to go. I wasn't the one who wanted to go on a cruise I wanted to just do the US VI for 7-10 days.....would LOVE to go to St. John but that will have to wait until another time. One day in port just doesn't give enough time. Thanks again.

Thanks for all of the great info on sapphire hokie78! I too am trying to decide on which beach while on st thomas...i originally wanted to go to trunk bay, but our ship is only there from 7-3 and i just didn't feel that that was enough time to make the trip there and actually have some beach time (the ship's excursion gave you ONE HOUR of beach time...way too short) We are really just looking for a beautiful beach with some amenities, if needed....and your description sounds wonderful....

what would be the best way for 5-8 people to get there? we will be docked in Havensight..and i believe we are the only ship there that day...thanks for any info!

jane

We've also used Godfrey tours. Great value and very reliable. On our trip, he surveyed the passengers on board about their beach preference and we all went to the same beach. He did say that if someone particularly wanted to go to another one he would take them there. Win-Win!

moonmom--If you really just want a beach day and not do the touring thing, just grab a taxi (more like a pick-up truck with bench seats in the back) and head to the beach of your choice. Just like any other port, they'll be all over the pier area which is often referred to as Havensight as that's that name of the shopping area just steps from the gangway. I can never remember taxi fares, but you can get a good idea by looking at the online version of one of STT's activities magazines. Don't have the web address handy, but just google St Thomas This Week and unless things have changed you'll get a plethora of info on taxis, ferry schedules and rates, reataurants, activities, attractions, etc.

Archived