Gems of the Baltic - shore excursions

carole52m

Does anyone have any advice on whether to take cruise excursions in Helsinki, Tallinin, Stockholm, or Visby?

We are going on the July 12th cruise on the Amsterdam and would love to hear from fellow cruisers.

Hi. You'll love the Gems of the Baltic. DH and I took that cruise on the Westerdam last September, and a slightly longer version in 2000. As for shore excursions, the Tallinn walking tour was very well done. Lots of walking but we got the feel of the old town and saw some wonderful views along the way. In 2000 we took a HAL bus tour out of Helsinki to a famous artist's historic house in the countryside, complete with a lovely lunch. In Stockholm we just walked and walked -- and saw Vasa, a ship not to be missed! We didn't call at Visby due to weather, but had booked a trip out to prehistoric stone circles. You didn't ask about Arhus: I hope that's because you've booked the day trip to Odense. Beautiful trip, fascinating towns and houses, and a wonderful lunch in an ancient inn. Be sure to try Danish dark bread with pickled herring. I wanted more time at the H.C. Andersen Museum: I read every description of every photo and artifact and found the tour waiting for me outside. By the time we returned to Arhus we were tired of the bus and ready to board the ship, but that excursion was a great value.

Mrs Muir

Hello there! I will be cruising on the Amsterdam to the same ports (6/12). I've done much research and found much valuable information on www.portreviews.com, which I've printed out and fastened into a folder that I'll take with me. If you look into this site and see the info on Tallinn (for example), you'll be able to determine whether you need a guide or not.

After checking this source and various others, my travel pal and I booked three shore excursions in St. Petersburg. Other than that, we are convinced we can do the other ports on our own. The Port Reviews site, in addition to the information on each port, has a forum like this one where you can ask any question and get an almost immediate reply. I was able to get a little map of Copenhagen via that site, which shows the exact spot where the ship will dock, as well as its proximity to various places of interest, all within walking distance.

I've learned that so many, many people consider the Baltic cruise to be their favorite itinerary! Happy, Happy Travel to you.:)

I have already booked 3 tours in St Petersburg - the Folkloric, the Glories of St Petersburg - because it has both the Amber room and the Hermitage, and the Murder on the Moika - because I am fascinated with Rasputin.

I have booked Jewish Berlin as well - since I think this one will fill up fast.

I am inclined to wait on the other ports and to hire a taxi - please come back to me with info after you take your cruise. I am going to check out the site you mentioned - thanks so much.

My husband and I have travelled a bit - a two week stay in Italy, a two week stay in Provence, France. Trips within the US. And we have done several Carribean Cruises as well as Alaska. We have not typically taken the ships tours or done guided tours in foriegn countries - but Italy and France are not Baltic countries - and we have some familiarity with the language in the Romance Language countries.

Except for St. Petersburg and Berlin, I found all the ports on this cruise to be easily and safely walked. In Helsinki I rode a hop-on-hop-off city bus (loads right at the park) which was interesting and half the price of the ship's excursion. In Arhus I rode the city bus to the archaeological museum (fascinating) and back to the center, then walked. Most of the ports have tourist information booths on the dock or very close with excellent advice, maps, brochures, etc. I wandered everywhere alone (66, lazy, female) and except for getting lost (half the fun) felt very comfortable. Visby was a delight as there was a medieval festival going on - it was humorous to see everyone chatting on cell phones while dressed in medieval clothing. Visby also has a very large and beautiful botannical garden. I hope you have as wonderful a time as I did.

You will have great luck if you go to the Baltic port board here on cruise critic. Lots of good advise for the ports.

Search for Visby, Stockholm, etc and all the posts with those towns mentioned pops up and you can read all the previous travelers' views on these topics.

• 4 weeks later...
I have already booked 3 tours in St Petersburg - the Folkloric, the Glories of St Petersburg - because it has both the Amber room and the Hermitage, and the Murder on the Moika - because I am fascinated with Rasputin.

I have booked Jewish Berlin as well - since I think this one will fill up fast.

I am inclined to wait on the other ports and to hire a taxi - please come back to me with info after you take your cruise. I am going to check out the site you mentioned - thanks so much.

My husband and I have travelled a bit - a two week stay in Italy, a two week stay in Provence, France. Trips within the US. And we have done several Carribean Cruises as well as Alaska. We have not typically taken the ships tours or done guided tours in foriegn countries - but Italy and France are not Baltic countries - and we have some familiarity with the language in the Romance Language countries.

Would you be interested in sharing the trip to Jewish Berlin? Need details. Please reply to Upsalite@aol.com

For Carole:

I plan to contact this company for information:

from Stockholm Sightseeing, Skeppsbron 22 (tel. 08/587-140-20).OldTown Strolls -- Authorized guides lead 1 1/2-hour walking tours of the medieval lanes of Stockholm's OldTown. These walks are conducted daily from the first of June until mid-August, departing from the Royal Opera House at Gustav Adolfs Torg. The cost is 80SEK ($8.50). Tickets and times of departure are available

It might be worth the $8.50 to avoid wasting time. We are also planning to visit the Vasa Museum, for which the admission charge is about $11. ML:D

I was on the Westerdam last Summer for this itinerary.

Visby is wonderful. An easy walk from the ship.

In Stockholm, plan on extra time at the Vasa museum. I had only about an hour and a half there, and could have spent at least a couple of hours. There is a nice place in the museum to get a reasonably priced lunch. It was easy to get to by using public transportation.

In Tallinn, I did the excursion out in the country to the manor houses. It started with a short city tour. Included a nice lunch. The houses were worth seeing, if you like antiques and architecture.

If your sailing puts you into St. Petersburg on a Monday, that is the day that the Hermitage is closed, except for private tour groups. While you don't get the run of the place, you also don't have the crowds that you have to contend with on other days. The groups that did the tour on Sunday had told us about the crowds, and then on Monday, we had the place to ourselves. Peterhoff was a lot of walking, and we were glad we had packed some bottles of water to have with us.

In Helsinki I walked and used public busses to get around. Did many things I found in guide books, and it was easy to get around.

Archived