SSS 4/18 We're Back!!!Part 2

John:

Either of those would be great cruises..........I think our "Hawaii" cruise is sold out which why the red flag..........problem is getting a straight answer sometimes from customer service so if you have to make other arrangements you can.........I have those as possibles.......just in case we need to.

Jim

[quote name='nanarena']I must have really shocked this group. No one but Sally has posted since!!!!
Didn't think it was possible.[/QUOTE]

I was shocked that you would even suggest getting our ears pierced. You know that I usually just go with those clip on dangling kind of earings!!! ;)

Of course they usually match my dress!!! :eek:

Don

Was wondering if any of our SSS has had any cruise with NCL?? We are looking for a 10 night cruise for Easter of 2006........(hey.......it's never to early is it? LOL!:D ) I found an interesting itinerary out of NY but know absolutley nothing about NCL............anyone ever been on one of their ships??

Jim

Jim, we did the Sky (now pride of Aloha) when she was brand new. In fact, they started "freestyle" for our cruise. It was our first cruise so we didn't know any difference. However, we were cruising with both sets of parents and they hated it!

Looking back, after cruising on RCL, it was rather nice to dine wherever, whenever. We enjoyed the different restaurants. I don't think there were extra charges then. Our cabin was very small, an oceanview. We have booked a 22 day for next April on the Sun and we actually are looking forward to the freestyle. We have a BA balcony and it is tiny..179 sq ft and I think that includes a 41 sq ft balcony! One nice touch is they have coffee makers in the cabins. The NCL liquor policy does have us a bit worried. I understand they even xray checked bags and your cabin attendant will confiscate any liquor left out in your cabin.

NCL's prices are very reasonable, though. I am thinking of booking the Dream when they move it to Houston to replace the Sea. That will be in the fall of 2005. Great itinerary.

Hope this helps.

Sally:

That does help..........

I found yesterday a 10 night itinerary that leaves from NY

NY
at sea
at sea
St. Thomas
Antigua
Bridgetown
St. Maarten
Tortola
at sea
at sea
NY

I checked the price with this on line agency and found it to only be about $1,850pp for a balcony!! Of course then there is the airfare issue. It is April 13-23 in 2006 centered around Easter which is what we are looking for.

It is on the Norwegian Spirit which I think is a brand new ship.

Do you know with freestyle..........do they even have formal nights??

Do you know when the Dream is going to Galveston in 2005 and what the itinerary is?? We have booked the Vision for next October, but Galveston is so much easier for us..........you and Rick could probably twist our arms!:eek:

Jim

Jim

Jim, NCL has formal nights but they are totally optional. There are usually two main dining rooms and one will be "formal" on the designated night. The other upscale restaurants are always resort casual. I think the Sun has 9 restaurants, a buffet and the two dining rooms. We don't plan on taking any formal wear when we do the PC in April. Will be a relief not to drag that stuff all over!

The Dream goes out of Houston starting 10/15/05. Houston, at sea, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Playa Del Carmen, at sea, Houston. I like the idea that it cruises down the river and not out of Galveston. That saves a lot of expense and time. The down side is that the ship is small and older but at least has balconies. The Sea (doing the above itinerary now)does not. We really like Roatan, Honduras, so far my favorite port of all.

If we book it will most likely be in late October or early November. Want to give the ship some time to settle into the new itinerary.

Sally:

That looks pretty good........we liked Roatan as well......we are currently booked on the Vision for October 23 but we could change.......I have been over on the NCL boards and saw alot of pictures of the Spirit.........it looked really nice.

Keep us posted.........we might just change........for us, we can drive to Houston in about 6 hours and save the airfare.......let us know what you decide and what dates.

Jim

[size=4][color=magenta]Hi Everyone,[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff]Jim you are so funny. I can't believe you're already looking at 06. The only reason our spring break is planned for is because it's the school band trip to Hawaii. I think we can pass on the LOL:D Cruise Don found!!!:eek: [/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff]Jim is this post easier to read? I used a nice color and BIG print.:D [/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff]Hi Sally I'm so glad you have also stuck around. It's you, Rena, Doreen and me still the only girls left posting.:) I just love reading all the post. :D [/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff]You're all so informative. I really mean it, I learn alot about all these new cruises from all of you.[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff]Well, I'll be reading all your post.[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#ff00ff]Talk soon.[/color][/size]

Marsha:

That's a little better........but a nice basic black or blue might be even better! LOL!;)

As for these cruises........Don has taught me you have to plan early for several reasons.

1. You have to get to the ship early.........at least 18 months in advance:cool:

2. You have to pick your cabin early........someone else looking at 2006 or 2007 may have already booked it:p

3. You have to sign up for late seating early...........everyone on South Beach diet eats late!:o

4. You need to sign up early so your cruise can be red flagged:confused:

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are the major ones. LOL!!

Jim

Those are all excellent reasons but you forgot a couple.

You can get started packing early and then repack just before the cruise when you realize that either your clothes no longer fit or they are completely out of style.

My favorite one though is being assured that you can start your own roll call thread and then work at keeping it going all by yourself for months on end, because nobody else has booked yet!!!

Don

Don:

I love it!!!!!!!!!!! We certainly have experience with early roll calls........boy, our current Celebrity and Princess Roll Calls are just non existant........and the Princess cruise is only 100 days off!!!!:eek:

Jim

Sally:

Looked today at the NCL cruise out of Houston and I agree the itinerary looks pretty good............but have you been reading the NCL boards lately?? Sounds like they really have some problems especially with their Hawaii cruises staffed by all Americans.........read their boards for a day and see what you think.....I'm beginning to think they really have some problems over there.

Jim

Yeah, that POA was a big mess! One of the TA's I use was on the shake down cruise. He said a lot of the stuff on the board was exagerated (sp-help Rena, I am brain dead!) or just plain lies. He said it was rough around the edges but not that bad. We really liked our cruise on NCL. The free style is really nice for a change. Are you worried about the financial situation of the company? That has crossed my mind. Maybe I will see what I can dig up on the company. At least see what their stock is doing.

Speaking of boards, the HAL site has got to be the rudest bunch! We were actually happy to cancel our cruise. In reality, I think that there is just a few that post often and have a pretty narrow view of what cruising should be.

Heard from the Steves and they want to cruise with us again this fall sometime. I ran it by my boss and he doesn't care. I already have taken so much time but after 29 years..guess I deserve it!

Sally,

Have you and Rick done the Mexican Riviera? If so, what ship? We have booked the Vision for Mexican Riviera in October, 2005. Now Jim is thinking we should head back to the Caribbean instead of Mexico.

What are your feelings about the Mexican Riviera? Would you recommend it?

Steves--didn't you do Mexico? I would like anyone's input that has done this itinerary. Doreen--where are you?

Rena

Rena, we did the Mex Riv in 2001. It was on the Rhapsody (sister of Vision) and our first cruise on RCL. Honestly, it is our least favorite of the cruises we have taken. Rick and I are not big on Mexico. The Vision's size and age may be a disappointment after the Brilliance. However, the Vision crew is a well organized and experienced bunch. The ship has a very friendly and relaxed attitude.

Now you must factor in that this was our first cruise by ourselves. We didn't know anyone (no Cruise Critics back then). We didn't book any excursions. We did have a JS which was great. We had just done a Norwegian cruise on a brand new ship and the Rhapsody seemed kinda ratty to us. We had rough water on the Pacific coast. It was March and record cold weather. We nearly froze. Most importantly: we did not know about the Schooner Bar:eek: !

But if the price is right and you have never visited these ports..go for it! I think if Rick and I did this cruise today, we would have a much better time.

Hope this helps.

Sally,

Thanks for the response. We have stayed in Puerto Vallarta a couple of times at an all-inclusive resort. We haven't been to any of the other ports. Jim is looking for ways not to go on this cruise. We booked a Grand Suite and he is talking about switching to the Grandeur to a JS. I think the one he is interested in for the Caribbean leaves out of Baltimore, but it is more than 7 days.

Of course, we may love the Caribbean Princess and want to book another Princess ship. So, I told him to leave the Mex. Riv. on the books and we'll decide after our November cruise.

Again, thanks for keeping in touch.

Rena

Hey sss'ers:

No, we haven't yet done the Mexican Riviera. Had one scheduled for December this year, but had to cancel as we are now having guests from out of town. John and Kay and kids left today for a 7-day Mexico cruise. We'll have to get a report from them when they return.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Sally: We are trying to add up exactly where we are with vacation days remaining for this year. I will e-mail you later in the week after we sort things out with schedules.

Take care all.
STEVE 1

Steves2,k thanks for the info. Has it hit 115 yet in PS??? I know, but it is a dry 115 degrees!!! :D

As far as Mexico. I didn't care that much for the Mexican Riviera, but the pool was shut down almost the entire trip, it was a 4 day trip, we lived in CA., and we had an inside cabin!!!!!!! :(

Maybe somebody can talk me into it again, but it may be awhile!!!

Don

Steves:

Thanks for the info on the Mexican Riviera........we have a deposit down but can always transfer it to another sailing.

Speaking of sailings..........have you seen the new RC itinerary that sails out of Boston?? It includes Bermuda WITH the Caribbean............WOW!! It really is a great itinerary but it also looks very pricey.

Celebrity is coming out with a 9 night sailing on the Century for the Carribean with 4 sea days...........we are looking at that for April of 2006.........this isn't even on their website yet but our t/a found it.

Don: We will begin talking you into the Mexican Riviera in about 10 days.

Jim

Archived