Is RCL treating me fair ???

My husband and I booked a trip Venice - Greece, also for our daughter and her family. We have one confirmation number for the three cabins. My husband and I booked with an overnight stay in Venice and our daughter and her family was put on a hotel wait list.We booked through a travel agent but we think she is not following through, so I decided to call RCL to inquire about the status and I was told they could not tell me and I would have to call the travel agent. Am I being treated fair - after all we pay the bill.

Any input ?

If you book through a travel agent, RCI will not talk to you. They are paying a commission to your TA so that the TA can help you with whatever you need. So, yes, you are being treated fair. This is their policy and if you want to to talk to RCI, you need to book with RCI. This is the policy for everyone. If you are un-happy with your TA, you need to fire them. But it is up to the TA as to whether or not they will release your reservation. If they do release it back to RCI, then you can talk to them.

RCI is doing what any other cruise line would do. RCI does not own the booking, your TA does. You could call your TA and let them know that you would like a three way conference with RCI to get this straightened out. If she doesn't want to cooperate then tell her that you want the booking transferred back to the cruise line.

Well, I know that they have this rule that RCI will not talk to you if you booked with a TA, but in my opinion, it's still not right that they won't share information! It's not right, especially if the TA is not doing the job. Simple questions, as yours was, should be answered directly to you. TAs are a pain sometimes and some deserve to have RCI encourage passengers to book directly with them. With all the information available on sites like this I'm not sure what value they bring anymore......no particular value to me, anyway.

As it is, you're stuck with dealing with them through the TA.

I would have rather delt with RCL but was encouraged to book through a TA, unfortunately we lost our old knowledgeable agent of many years.

Oh well, live and learn!

Thanks for your replies.

If you book through a travel agent, RCI will not talk to you. They are paying a commission to your TA so that the TA can help you with whatever you need. So, yes, you are being treated fair. This is their policy and if you want to to talk to RCI, you need to book with RCI. This is the policy for everyone. If you are un-happy with your TA, you need to fire them. But it is up to the TA as to whether or not they will release your reservation. If they do release it back to RCI, then you can talk to them.

Ahh so true. I have to say I felt the same way as the OP till I understood how the process works. I have learned my lesson and I only book for my self now through RCI. Its a little more work but IMHO it is worth it..

Well, I know that they have this rule that RCI will not talk to you if you booked with a TA, but in my opinion, it's still not right that they won't share information! It's not right, especially if the TA is not doing the job. Simple questions, as yours was, should be answered directly to you. TAs are a pain sometimes and some deserve to have RCI encourage passengers to book directly with them. With all the information available on sites like this I'm not sure what value they bring anymore......no particular value to me, anyway.

As it is, you're stuck with dealing with them through the TA.

Royal Caribbean does not have the staff to handle the bookings and rely on travel agents for their business. I am sorry you had a bad ecperience. I would call the agent until you get an answer.

"In a major show of support for travel agents, Royal Caribbean -- an OSSN supplier member! -- will now begin inserting your direct contact information into its "welcome home" letters sent to Royal Caribbean passengers after their cruises. In the past, the letters simply mentioned calling a travel agent to book the next cruise -- but future letters will include your agency's name and phone number. The new letters will be ready to go out this summer"

The problem is that if they start helping you directly and the TA tells them something different, then who do they respond to. It's better for them to have a single point of contact but that only works for you if you have a good TA. We don't use them anymore for this reason.

There is an ethical agreement between the Cruise Line Industry and the TA Associations. Under the agreement, it is unethical for RCCL to discuss arrangements with you. Don't blame RCCL. They are doing the right thing by referring you back to your TA.

LL

Royal Caribbean does not have the staff to handle the bookings and rely on travel agents for their business.

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that RCI is handling all the bookings now....the difference seems to be whether or not they talk to a TA or a real person.

Archived