Locust Point Terminal/Baltimore

I have passed the port everyday forever going back and forth to work.

Now we need to park there for our May 26th cruise. We have never done RCCL or gone out of Balto. before.

From looking at the lot today while admiring the Pride of Hawaii it doesn't look like many people can park there.

Does anyone know much about the parking? How early should we get there. Don't want to be too early for our trip but don't want to miss getting a parking space either.

Now we need to park there for our May 26th cruise. We have never done RCCL or gone out of Balto. before.

From looking at the lot today while admiring the Pride of Hawaii it doesn't look like many people can park there.

Does anyone know much about the parking? How early should we get there. Don't want to be too early for our trip but don't want to miss getting a parking space either.

I work at the port and worked the Grandeur last year in Dundalk.

Don't worry there will be plenty of parking.

The parking is $10 per day payable cash or travellers check only.

Many people get there around 11 or so;Actually the best time is around 1 pm.

Depending on where you live and how long you'll be cruising, it may make more sense to take a cab to the port.

Depending on where you live and how long you'll be cruising, it may make more sense to take a cab to the port.

I parked at a hotel about 8 miles from Dundalk last year, and the cab cost me $45 to get to the pier, and $35 to get back to the hotel. I wouldn't recommend a cab in Baltimore unless you agree to a fare ahead of time, and from what I remember from the posted messages inside the cab, they only have set fares from BWI to various locations. Just my experience, compared to other places I've been, the taxis in Baltimore were outrageously high priced.

I work at the port and worked the Grandeur last year in Dundalk. Don't worry there will be plenty of parking. The parking is $10 per day payable cash or travellers check only. Many people get there around 11 or so. Actually the best time is around 1 pm.

I've been following your answers to questions about Locust Point, including the directions and everything else, just wanted to say thanks for the help you've given, I had no idea that the parking would be cash or travelers check only, I'll need to remember that when I sail Grandeur again in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

I parked at a hotel about 8 miles from Dundalk last year, and the cab cost me $45 to get to the pier, and $35 to get back to the hotel. I wouldn't recommend a cab in Baltimore unless you agree to a fare ahead of time, and from what I remember from the posted messages inside the cab, they only have set fares from BWI to various locations. Just my experience, compared to other places I've been, the taxis in Baltimore were outrageously high priced.

Well, 8 miles is a long cab ride in most larger American cities. I don't think Baltimore's taxis are especially high-priced at all. $35-45 won't get you very far in a taxi cab in NYC, Boston, or Miami either. Most fares in Baltimore, just like other cities, are meter-based, the exception being, as you said, if you're going to the airport.

Still, your cab fare was $80 total. So a person who's taking an 8-night or longer cruise paying $10/day at the garage would break even or save money by taking a cab. Baltimore's port doesn't offer many (any?) cruises of that length right now, but my understanding is that in 2007 9-night cruises will be common.

Well, 8 miles is a long cab ride in most larger American cities. I don't think Baltimore's taxis are especially high-priced at all. $35-45 won't get you very far in a taxi cab in NYC, Boston, or Miami either. Most fares in Baltimore, just like other cities, are meter-based, the exception being, as you said, if you're going to the airport.

Still, your cab fare was $80 total. So a person who's taking an 8-night or longer cruise paying $10/day at the garage would break even or save money by taking a cab. Baltimore's port doesn't offer many (any?) cruises of that length right now, but my understanding is that in 2007 9-night cruises will be common.

You're right, of course. Taxis do tend to be high priced in bigger cities. My problem is that I should have just driven in to Baltimore the morning of the cruise and parked at the pier for the 9 night Caribbean I did last year, vice spending 150 bucks for a hotel the night before, parking my car at the hotel, and spending 80 more dollars on taxi fare. I can drive to Baltimore for the Grandeur since it's only 4 hours or so from Pittsburgh. I will be coming again for Grandeur in the future. I'm curious about you saying they weren't offering longer cruises on Grandeur, last year, they did alternating 5 nights to Bermuda, followed by a 9 night to the Caribbean then start over again. I haven't looked at those itineraries, since I'm booked for cruise this year, but would like to consider a b2b to Bermuda then Caribbean.

Yep, just went and looked, they actually have some very good prices for 9 nights in the Sep 2006 time period. I loved the 9 night cruise, it was my first pleasure cruise, and we met some great people. In fact, we're meeting one of the couples who sat with us for dinner in Jan '07 on Navigator for another cruise. Later!

wraithe,

Found this on another thread:

The Hyatt Hotel in the Inner Harbor at Baltimore which is 5 minutes from the cruise terminal has the :

Hyatt Hotel SNOOZE and CRUISE, $209 + tax phone 410-528-1234

I also ran across this posting:

The 2007 Carribbean itineraries from Baltimore on the Grandeur have finally been loaded on the RCCL TA website so should be available to book in the next few days. The first sailing is May 18, 2007 and it will be every 4 weeks after that. In my humble opinion the itinerary is much improved from this year.

Itinerary:

Day 1: Baltimore departs 4:00pm

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Sea Day

Day 4: San Juan 2:00pm - 11:30pm

Day 5: St. Thomas 7:00am - 5:00pm

Day 6: Samana, Dominican Republic 9:00am - 6:00pm

Day 7: Labadee 8:00am - 4:00pm

Day 8: Sea Day

Day 9: Sea Day

Day 10: Baltimore arrival 7:30am.

Parksleepfly.com is showing a Hampton Inn that will do the cruiseport for $189 with 7 days parking (which I think is sort of high). Last year there was a Best Western in Hanover that we used for around $139 with 14 days parking, and they provided transportation to Dundalk, which was much farther. Worked out great.

Tonyo - thanks for keeping us up to date on the new terminal - it should be open now, right? How is it? Also, thanks for the heads up on the Grandeur's schedule for next year - looks like a great itinerary! We're doing the 9 night in September this year.

Wraithe - you're not kidding about the great deals in September '06! DH and I have already saved over $600 since original booking and upgraded a cabin category to boot! Gonna use the extra money for some foo-foo drinks:cool:

The Pride of Hawaii was in Baltimore yesterday???

Annieeee

Annieee!!! Gonna miss ya on my 9 day Grandeur cruise in three weeks! :)

I think the '07 itenerary is the bomb compared to this years. I might have to re-think that Bermuda cruise I was planning for next summer. ;)

Tony, Is Locust Point a permanent cruise port now, or are they still deciding what exactly to do?

What exactly do you do? :confused:

I wasn't sure if they were already offering 9-night cruises from Baltimore. Now I know. Thanks.

I did a 9 night out of Baltimore last summer. It was so great that I'm doing it again. I love being able to drive to the port. It's actually much less travel time than sitting in an airport all day.

The Port of Baltimore has a much improved website containing everything you would want to know about the new Locust Point Cruise Terminal. http://www.marylandports.com

The hotels section has a complete listing of hotels and even shows the promo codes for those offering a Park & Sail package.

I did a dry run down to the new facility tonight to see the Pride of Hawaii. Everything looks ready to go for the Grandeur's arrival on May 12th. It is just under 2 miles from Harborplace to the pier, drive time between 5 and 10 minutes. Access from I-95 is incredible (exit 55) particularly coming from the airport or the south. Just take the Key Highway exit and go straight ahead to the Terminal at the bottom of the exit ramp. If you come in on 295 (Baltimore Washington Parkway) which is not recommended at this time due to construction, you would follow the signs to 95 North, New York, but just keep straight, don't get onto 95.

And if you forgot anything, there is a Wal-Mart and Sam's Club just around the corner from the pier.

Hi tonyo,

My husband and I live in the suburbs of Baltimore. We love cruising. I was interested in your posting indicating that you work at the port. A friend was going to get information for me on working at the port when the ships come in but failed to do so. Can you give me a contact name - company or phone number that I could reach regarding possible employment? I am a retired school principal, so I have dealt with lots of people and PR in my career. sf1776@comcast.net is my email so that we don't bore others with this request.

Thanks!

Sandie

wraithe,

The Hyatt Hotel in the Inner Harbor at Baltimore which is 5 minutes from the cruise terminal has the :

The 2007 Carribbean itineraries from Baltimore on the Grandeur have finally been loaded on the RCCL TA website so should be available to book in the next few days. The first sailing is May 18, 2007 and it will be every 4 weeks after that. In my humble opinion the itinerary is much improved from this year.

Itinerary:

Thanks for the info about the hotel, I looked at the bookings today and didn't even notice they'd completely changed the itinerary. We were supposed to go to Grand Bahama, Coco Cay, Key West, and Cozumel last year, but due to Wilma, they canceled Cozumel and Key West, and added Georgetowne, Grand Cayman before we even sailed. In Grand Bahama, they had to cancel Coco Cay due to heavy waves, but Key West reopened, and we went there instead. All in all, it was a great cruise and seriously hooked us into cruising. Thanks again for all the help.

wraithe,

The 2007 Caribbean itineraries from Baltimore on the Grandeur have finally been loaded on the RCCL TA website so should be available to book in the next few days. The first sailing is May 18, 2007 and it will be every 4 weeks after that. In my humble opinion the itinerary is much improved from this year.

Itinerary:

Has Samana ever been on a RCI itinerary before or is this a new port? I don't recall ever seeing Samana on any other RCI ship itineraries. It's nice that RCI is switching up from so many western Caribbean trips too. This might be worth sailing out of Baltimore again. San Juan till 11:30pm is nice too, it's a much better city at night.

Thanks for posting the info tonyo.

Thanks for the reply to the post. I did forget one more question.

A friend of ours in going out of Balto in July and they called the port for info. They were told that parking is LIMITED.

That is one of our main concerns. That is why we were wondering the best time to arrive to assure getting a spot for the 9 days.

Thanks.

Archived