Tide pools / Beach Combing in Skagway or Ketchikan?

mousecrazy

Are there any tidepools in Skagway - we'll probably have a rental car? How about Ketchikan within walking distance of the pier? I'm looking for specific directions/map (don't want to get lost and waste previous port time). TIA.

I can't recall tidepools, as such, but there is a very nice beach area just a short walk from downtown called Yakutania Point. You can find out how to get there at the Visitor's Center. It would be hard to get lost.

If you get there at low tide, you should see some aquatic life.

I can't recall tidepools, as such, but there is a very nice beach area just a short walk from downtown called Yakutania Point. You can find out how to get there at the Visitor's Center. It would be hard to get lost.

If you get there at low tide, you should see some aquatic life.

Is this in Skagway?

When you get into Skagway, you should go first to the National Park service, which is the absolute best info place in this town! They will give you a free map of all of the trails leading out of town. This will include the trail out to Yak point. If you go out there, be sure to look for the signs for smugglers cove. This is one of the best tide coves for a short time hike. This is about a one hour hike, return, and some time to play in the tide water. Try to go out there at low tide if you are keen to see creatures of the sea! We sometimes get 24 vertical feet of tide within six hours so one word of caution; do not try to short cut along the rocks back around to the point. In the past I have had occasion to pick up a few stranded rockhoppers who attempted that route and then when they had to turn back the tide had covered their return rocks. I usually set my shrimp traps in that cove so when they were waving for help they would get a free ride back to town with me. I'm using a larger boat this year so the price would be a lot more for the ride!?! The alternative would be a refreshingly cool swim or you could just wait the six hours or so until the water dropped back down!:eek: Stay with the groomed trails. You will be quite safe. DD

Archived