South America

conniem

We are booked on Infinity next Jan to cruise from Chile to Argentina. Our flight from LAX to Santiago is routed through Sao Paulo, Brazil. All indications are that we must get a visa just to spend a couple hours in the airport to change planes. Anybody been to South America lately?

Brazil has gotten to be a real pain in the behind with their visa requirements. Yes, you will need a visa. I just got back from a SA cruise and needed one. Make sure you follow all their instructions when doing the application for the visa. They want to know everything. Also, give yourself at least 6 weeks to get the visa.

check with the airline, and with the brazillian consulate. i dont think a visa is necessary for transit passengers, you just stay on the international side of passport control. i did get a brazil visa for a cruise originating in manaus and they were very adamant about the $100 charge since it is to retaliate for our charge to brazillians(sp?) entering the us.

I'll try again - keep losing reply to cyberspace.

Get that Brazlian Visa, even though only in-transit.

Way back in Mar 98, on a Royal Princess cruise Buenos Airies Argentina to Barcelona Spain, with two in-transit stops in Brazil, 5 passengers without Brazilian Visas were denied boarding in Buenos Aires.

We sailed without them, leaving them and their luggage on the Pier. Speaking with a ship's officer later, he told me that Brazil might have fined the ship and denied it landing rights had they transported undocumented "foreigners" into their territory.

We just went on the Millenium from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (3/5-3/19) and we flew through Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires and then from Santiago back to Sao Paulo on the way home. We sat in the airport terminal in transit for several hours both ways and did not need a visa. I'm assuming that as long as you are an in transit passenger, you do not need a visa

They are $100.......no doubt they must have an "in-transit" visa. If not, I would have my flights changed.

Frankly with all the good airline connections you should be able to fly right from the US, ie Miami or other large city to BA. Have a good trip. It is one of my favorites.

We are booked on Infinity next Jan to cruise from Chile to Argentina. Our flight from LAX to Santiago is routed through Sao Paulo, Brazil. All indications are that we must get a visa just to spend a couple hours in the airport to change planes. Anybody been to South America lately?

We flew from Santiago to New York in February with a plane change in Sao Paolo and did not need to go through immigration to make our connection. No visa needed. Brazil visa costs $100 and not worth it to leave the airport for a few hours. Besides the airport is about an hour outside the city when there is no traffic.

Archived