Baltimore-- send us ships, please & exciting itineraries!

patrickc

Unfortunately, we have to take our business to New Jersey this year as we need more cruise options in Baltimore. We went on Galaxy twice when she was in town- 2003- 2004.. Western Caribbean to Belize (can you imagine, cruising from Baltimore to Belize-- what a trip!) and Eastern to St. Thomas & St. Maarten (we were there for the May Day Carnivale parades-- again, can you imagine doing this from Baltimore!??) What an absolute blast to originate from Baltimore-- cruising down the beautiful Chesapeake Bay-- under the Bay Bridge-- over the Bay/Bridge Tunnel-- and then out to sea. What a dream. We also cruised twice on Grandeur of Seas-- 2004- 2005-- both in hurricanes! first one diverted us to Bermuda, Labadee & Bahamas (labadee is amazing..) and second-- well, yeah, we were the trip that lost a day to Ophelia-- then ended up cruising to Cozumel in Rita & Cape Canaveral (yawn).. done with Grandeur-- just can't hold a candle to Celebrity.. So we have to trek up the turnpike to catch Zenith.

PLEASE POSITION ADDITIONAL SHIPS IN BMORE!!! Canton also looks to be home of a new cruise terminal. Ed Hale is unveiling new office complex- October 2006.. (1stMariner Bank Headqtrs) & phase IV includes 2 berths for 1,000 foot + ships-- check it out http://cantoncrossing.com/features.html). Directly across from Ft McHenry-- home of the Star Spangled banner-- what a view. Remember all you cruise lines out there-- Baltimore was the leading port during the birth of our country for a reason-- its naturally deep water & protected channels which helped spawn so many major cities-- today, we are smack dab in the middle of the most densely populated region- representing the southern tip of the US Megalopolis, we are less than 100 miles from tens of millions of people-- all with pretty decent incomes thanks to our proximity to some of our country's largest cities scattered along Interstate 95. Don't sell us short. We really do not mind leaving from a warehouse in Dundalk or a brand spanking new terminal-- after all-- don't you recall all the cruises from Baltimore post-911 were in fact at capacity. I find it hard to believe that we've gone from 5 top cruise lines to 1 ship. I have yet to talk to another passenger who has actually complained about the port.. in fact, most of the cruises were approx 30%+ Euro/UK/Canada passengers-- they loved combo time touring Washington DC, Annapolis & Baltimore-- then setting sail on a Caribbean cruise. OK, you get my point. Some more cruise options, please.

You're preaching to the choir here. Have you written to Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, HAL, Princess, MSC ?

You also don't seem aware that the State of Maryland has refused to make the 30+ million dollar commitment to Hale's project, and has instead invested about 3 million in a "new" terminal in South Locust Point, which officially opens next Friday when the Grandeur arrives. It is currently hosting NCL's Pride of Hawaii.

Agreed! We need more choices here. Sailing to Belize from Baltimore was cool and Galaxy was a awesome ship (wish she'd come back) but until then, I'll be sailing out of Miami. They need to come up with something new here, it is a huge market but one choice at a much higher price is not an incentive to cruise out of Baltimore anymore.

Hey, I'm in Baltimore also and we've chosen to sail on the new Crown Princess from NY in September for our second cruise. The rates for a jr/mini suite on a brand, new ship with a wonderful Eastern itinerary, including Bermuda, were much less than the Grandeur, which is 10 years old. Simply hopping on Amtrak, spending the night in lower Manhattan and will taki it to Brooklyn at checkout. No airport hassles and we absolutely love NY, so we'll find any excuse to visit.

Our first cruise in 2004 was on the Miracle, which left from Seagirt. It was just great having a 20 minute drive home. Well, it doesn't look like any other ships but the Grandeur will be here in 2007, either.

Since we're still "cruiseline shopping", our next may be on the new NCL Gem, if it leaves from NY. The Zenith has no balconies....gotta have a balcony.

patrickc....Why not be the official CC crusader for more Baltimore ships and get involved in our political arena, if you're not already? I see that you post these threads all the time. Seems they just disappear and nothing changes. Invite Ed Hale, O'Malley and Ehrlich to dinner....;)

• 4 months later...

I would love to see more CCL ships go out of Baltimore, since it's so close to where I live. I agree with everything you all say! We took the Miracle going out of there a couple of years ago, and I loved going down the Chesapeake!

The only problem we had was that customs and immigration was slow clearing the ship and we didn't get off until noon. My sister had the same problem getting off of the Celebrity ship she was on -- they didn't get off because of customs and immigration until after 4:00 pm! But I'm sure they will eventually get it together, if they haven't already!

Perhaps I will take the advice given and write to CCL and the MD officials! Good idea!

Archived