Freestyle dress in specialty restaurants?

scdreamer

We just got back from a 3-day repo cruise on the Wind, and I had a couple of observations regarding the "freestyle" concept. I really like the idea of having dinner when and where you like, and not having to dress to the nines if you want to eat in the regular dining rooms, but what we observed in the specialty restaurants was a bit of a surprise.

Wonder if anyone else has the same take, or if maybe it's just that the freestyle cruise concept is not for us.

(We have cruised on NCL before (Spirit), and I didn't notice the same thing last fall.)

What I am referring to is the way some passengers dress in the specialty restaurants.

We ate at Le Bistro - reservations at 9 p.m. - ands also had two late dinners at La Trattoria. One of the nights was the optional formal night. We didn't "go formal," but we did wear clean semi-dressy clothing that we would wear to go out to a nice restaurant at home.

In my opinion, the level of service and ambiance of both of these restaurants is very nice. Especially to me Le Bistro seems like an upscale restaurant we might patronize onshore for a special occasion.

Some of the people dining at adjacent tables to ours in both restaurants were dressed very nicely - "resort casual" all the way to formal. But there were also quite a number of diners, both men and women, wearing really ratty running shoes and obviously old and worn-out track suits or sweatshirts. One guy wore a faded old baseball cap throughout the entire meal. Another woman had on a hooded nylon windbreaker that looked like it had been through many a sporting event, along with filthy running shoes that might have once been white about ten years ago.

I know "freestyle" is appealing to NCL passengers, but to be honest, I was a little surprised that in the nicer restaurants, and at later times in the evening, there were so many people who made no effort to put on a clean shirt or pair of pants.

I have never considered myself a fussy or formal person, but I did feel that it lessened our dining out experience a bit to be side by side with passengers who looked as if they had just stepped off the treadmill in the gym.

I can see running up to the buffet dressed in that manner, or even having a meal in the dining room (I guess), but I thought the specialty restaurants were of a quality that called for a little more care in grooming and dress.

Just wondering if I am alone in this, or if the freestyle concept is such that we should consider other cruise lines in the future.

(Please don't flame me for this post :o )

If you are uncomfortable around casually dressed diners then perhaps another cruiseline is for you. Personally I don't pay that much attention to other diners - so I don't really care how they dress. As long as they don't smell and look clean, they have no impact on my enjoyment of the meal.

It always surprises me that people actually let others appearance bother them.

While I also think athletic clothes should not be worn to dinner,

there's no rules against it. Here's the posted NCL rules on their website:

[/url]Dress Code in Dining Rooms

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc. Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

diamond_ding.gif

I don't see any bans on athletic clothes and shoes.

The "resort casual" dress code applies to the specialty restaurants in addition to the main dining rooms. Passengers are not expected to dress more formally in the specialty restaurants. That said, I agree that diners should not abuse the fairly liberal dress code by wearing "ratty" clothes.

One of the problems with NCL's dress code is that it is inconsistently defined. The web site has one definition and the ships have slightly different ones. For instance, it has been reported that "no jeans" is sometimes posted onboard as "no torn jeans" depending on the ship. In addition, on my Spirit cruise back in February, the signage at the dining room entrances specifically prohibited "athletic wear", which I assumed to cover baseball caps, sweats and jogging outfits. Unfortunately, a term like "athletic wear" is open to interpretation, which leads to inconsistent enforcement.

If you are uncomfortable around casually dressed diners then perhaps another cruiseline is for you. Personally I don't pay that much attention to other diners - so I don't really care how they dress. As long as they don't smell and look clean, they have no impact on my enjoyment of the meal.

It always surprises me that people actually let others appearance bother them.

Your last comment smells like a flame to me. SCDreamer has every right to make these observations and have these concerns without leaving NCL. I never do the formal thing (at least unless under duress), but I would not go to dinner with anyone who is not "presentable" by most people's general definition. Your sneakers may not really smell, but if they look like they do, then they may as well. If, despite the norm of evening dining wear, you wear a ballcap all through the evening dinner, you at least look like you may eschew the silverware and then throw the bones over your shoulder. Suppose you and I are on the same cruise and I sit next to you. I have on a ratty shirt that I just wore to a beach excursion. Since there's no rule about tucking shirts in or buttoning them, I leave my shirt open and enjoy the wafting breezes through my chest hair. (No requirement for hairnets either.) I'd enjoy it. Would you?

I think it is reasonable to expect people who are preparing to have dinner at a 'white tablecloth' restaurant to consider how their appearance will fit in with their surroundings. The clothing you choose to wear for any occasion is really for the benefit of those around you, right? Unless you're looking in a mirror, you don't even see much of the clothes you are wearing, much less your baseball cap. It would be just as unreasonable to expect people not to stare at me if I wore an evening gown to the baseball game as it would be if I wore sneakers and a baseball cap to a French restaurant.

I don't wear dresses, so I wore my most attractive blouse and black slacks to Le Bistro. I wore makeup when I hardly ever bother with anything more than powder and lipstick. Even then, I felt a bit informal in my surroundings.

Freestyle cruising may mean that NCL gives everyone the right to wear pretty much whatever he or she wants, but respect for your fellow diners demands a little restraint.

Your last comment smells like a flame to me. SCDreamer has every right to make these observations and have these concerns without leaving NCL. I never do the formal thing (at least unless under duress), but I would not go to dinner with anyone who is not "presentable" by most people's general definition. Your sneakers may not really smell, but if they look like they do, then they may as well. If, despite the norm of evening dining wear, you wear a ballcap all through the evening dinner, you at least look like you may eschew the silverware and then throw the bones over your shoulder. Suppose you and I are on the same cruise and I sit next to you. I have on a ratty shirt that I just wore to a beach excursion. Since there's no rule about tucking shirts in or buttoning them, I leave my shirt open and enjoy the wafting breezes through my chest hair. (No requirement for hairnets either.) I'd enjoy it. Would you?

Why is it a flame to indicate that I REALLY don't understand how people let the appearance of others affect their enjoyment of a cruise - I most certainly think OP has a right to their opinion - which is why I suggested that OP might be happier on a more 'formal' cruiseline. To me presentable is clean and not smelly (BTW for the same reason,I don't care to smell women (or men) who drench themselves in cheap smelly perfume ( a subtle scent is nice but some do go berserk) - to me that is as bad as B.O.). I really could care less what you wear but I would not be thrilled if you smelled (two DIFFERENT issues). Dressing casually is NO indication of whether one smells or one's table manners - but honestly unless a person was literally "throwing bones over their shoulders", I don't concern myself with other people's table manners either. I am usually too busy enjoying my dinner and my dinner companions to worry about other diners unless they are very intrusive.

While we were eatting in the Italian restaurant on the Jewel a lady walked in with a sweat suit. I'm sorry I just don't think that is right. Once while on the Sun I admit I was just to lazy to change, so we ate in the buffet. I would never go to one of the restaurants with a sweat suit. We enjoy the free style but some people just take that term way to far. Again just my opinion.

sc dreamer I think you make a valid point. I think one reason people dress like slobs is because they don't know any better and often they are too fat to fit into or look good in real clothes. People that dress like slobs in a nice restaurant are showing disrespect to themselves and others. I would say this is a particular problem with Americans. They try to tell you they are just being "casual" when they are really being slobs. You don't see the average European being fat.

sc dreamer I think you make a valid point. I think one reason people dress like slobs is because they don't know any better and often they are too fat to fit into or look good in real clothes. People that dress like slobs in a nice restaurant are showing disrespect to themselves and others. I would say this is a particular problem with Americans. They try to tell you they are just being "casual" when they are really being slobs. You don't see the average European being fat.

Equating slobs with fat people is just another form of prejudice. You don't have to be fat to be a slob. I've seen plenty of heavy people dressed smartly. I've also seen plenty of slobs who were not heavy.

I, too, wish NCL would enforce their dress code more. I just don't understand why people can't get just a little cleaned and dressed up for a nice dinner. What's wrong with a nice pair of pants, slacks, a nice shirt, etc. Wearing sweats, jeans and sneakers, athletic clothing, etc is not for a nice place. If you want to wear that, fine. But eat at the buffet or pub or something. I understand it's vacation, etc. But, for goodness sakes, can't people just dress a little nicer for a nice meal. I don't expect everyone to go formal or suit and tie (although my wife and I do dress formal on formal night), but at least look a little more presentable. Your eating in a nice establishment. Linen table cloths, linen napkins, fine dishware, etc. One should at least TRY and look a little nicer for these nice meals. NCL's dress code is very relaxed in the big picture. I just wish they would enforce it.

It's basically a "do your own thing" atmosphere. Each person dresses as they choose regardless of where they go for dinner or elsewhere on the ship. You then have a somewhat incogruous mixture of people at the various dining venues....some dressed in gowns and tuxedos, some in business attire, and many in t-shirts and jeans, or athletic wear or whatever! NCL may think they are encouraging "resort casual" but, sadly, it tends to look like the Madhatter's Tea Party, especially in the evening. The concept of "freestyle" has it's merits but there's clearly a communication problem.

I think one reason people dress like slobs is because they don't know any better and often they are too fat to fit into or look good in real clothes.

Oh for goodness sakes - - how offensive - lets just ban all the fat people because they don't look "good" in real clothes.

I too wish that NCL enforced what little rules it has for dinner, but come on guys and gals, there's no set rules against athletic clothes.:rolleyes:

Stop being judgemental on what others are wearing to dinner!;)

If the sight of how others are dressed ruins your dinner, for Pete's sake, don't look.;)

Likewise, tune out those talking on radios and cell phones.

They paid for their cruise too, and they can do exactly what they want.:cool:

If those of you long timers on this board remember, I talked about a very similar subject when I got off the Star last summer. It was optional formal night and we dined in Aqua main restaurant. We didn't dress up, but did change into resort casual (polo shirts, nice slacks, etc.) prior to dinning. We had friends with us on their very first NCL cruise and I had made sure to explain freestyle to them before hand and they had changed as well. Into the dining room walks a family of four...mom in a warm-up suit, dad in sweats and the boys in t-shirts and faded jeans. (and I wouldn't call any of them fat, all very slender). They were seated by the maitre'd himself at a table in the center of the room. My friends looked to me as this family walked by as if to say: "what was the big deal you made about this resort casual stuff"

After I reported that story, there was a long discussion on this board about why NCL did not enforce their dress code and I think the popular opinnion was that crew members don't enforce the dress code stringently because they are afraid of an arguement with the customer and/or a bad report on them by that customer. Because people want things their way and because bad reports can be very bad for crew members, it seems they try to avoid potential confrontations and arguements by simply not saying anything and letting it go on.

Personally, I like the Freestyle concept and never dress up. But at the same time, I don't wear sweats, warm-ups or faded/torn jeans to dinner! Some people however just refuse to be inconveinenced or think rules are for everyone but them.

You get what you pay for when it comes to cruise lines. As the fares get higher, the dress gets better. From Carnival to Silver Seas there is a difference. Sail with what you are comfortable with.

Okay, dressy clothes might not be required.

And, being freestyle, we should allow comfortable clothes.

But, why oh why do people think it is okay to wear outfits like sweats, torn clothes, hats, t shirts, muscles shirts etc to dinner? How hard is it to wear clean clothes that look nice? Nothing expensive. Nothing fancy. Nothing bothersome like ties or high heels. Just something nice.

We run a business and amazed at people that do not even bother to get dressed with something other than what looks like sleeping outfits. I just don't get it.

We just got back from a 3-day repo cruise on the Wind, and I had a couple of observations regarding the "freestyle" concept. I really like the idea of having dinner when and where you like, and not having to dress to the nines if you want to eat in the regular dining rooms, but what we observed in the specialty restaurants was a bit of a surprise.

Wonder if anyone else has the same take, or if maybe it's just that the freestyle cruise concept is not for us.

(We have cruised on NCL before (Spirit), and I didn't notice the same thing last fall.)

What I am referring to is the way some passengers dress in the specialty restaurants.

We ate at Le Bistro - reservations at 9 p.m. - ands also had two late dinners at La Trattoria. One of the nights was the optional formal night. We didn't "go formal," but we did wear clean semi-dressy clothing that we would wear to go out to a nice restaurant at home.

In my opinion, the level of service and ambiance of both of these restaurants is very nice. Especially to me Le Bistro seems like an upscale restaurant we might patronize onshore for a special occasion.

Some of the people dining at adjacent tables to ours in both restaurants were dressed very nicely - "resort casual" all the way to formal. But there were also quite a number of diners, both men and women, wearing really ratty running shoes and obviously old and worn-out track suits or sweatshirts. One guy wore a faded old baseball cap throughout the entire meal. Another woman had on a hooded nylon windbreaker that looked like it had been through many a sporting event, along with filthy running shoes that might have once been white about ten years ago.

I know "freestyle" is appealing to NCL passengers, but to be honest, I was a little surprised that in the nicer restaurants, and at later times in the evening, there were so many people who made no effort to put on a clean shirt or pair of pants.

I have never considered myself a fussy or formal person, but I did feel that it lessened our dining out experience a bit to be side by side with passengers who looked as if they had just stepped off the treadmill in the gym.

I can see running up to the buffet dressed in that manner, or even having a meal in the dining room (I guess), but I thought the specialty restaurants were of a quality that called for a little more care in grooming and dress.

Just wondering if I am alone in this, or if the freestyle concept is such that we should consider other cruise lines in the future.

(Please don't flame me for this post :o )

I did several NCL cruises on the Sun a few years ago and dined in Le Bistro or La T most nights as I did not care for the main dining room. On those cruises, passengers were overall well dressed for the specialty restaurants and I did not see what you observed.

I agree that both are nice, upscale experiences and I dressed as I would for a nice restaurant at home.

I personally do not equate sloppy attire with casual attire but unfortunately some apparently do. I am often appalled at what passes for appropriate here at home in FL as I would not clean my garage in what some folks choose to wear to dinner.

And, yes, I am affected to some extent by the attire of those around me as I have found that sloppy dress is often associated with sloppy behavior.

My husband and I are bikers and are much more comfortable in leather than lace. That being said, when we cruise, we alway dress appropiately for dinner. Suit and cocktail dress on formal nights and resort casual all the others. (OK, he may have a Harley T Shirt on under his dress shirt..LOL) That's part of the reason we like cruising, it's something different than our everday life.

DH and I have a dear friend who owns a "special evening" type restaurant in a neighboring state. This is the type of place where the wait staff is in tuxedoes, there's valet parking and dinner can easily run $100 pp.

I am always amazed when I see people in the restaurant who are in jeans, wearing ball caps, wallets on chains, etc. The majority of the customers do dress for a special evening. I would think that if I walked in wearing jeans and the Maitre d' greeted me (no matter how warmly) wearing his tux, I'd feel out of place.

As a child (way long ago) I can actually remember getting "dressed up" to go to the doctor's when I was sick. Now I go to the grocery store and see people dressed in t-shirts and flannel p.j. bottoms. I guess it's a fashion statement.

My husband and I laugh about how his mother used to dress to drive in the family car from Texas to California. Hat, dress, hose, heels and gloves! And that was before air-conditioning. They used to put a cooler of ice in front of the vent on the passengers side.

Today, I try to dress appropriately for whatever occasion and enjoy formal nites. My personal rant is "Either enforce the dress code or do away with it!"

As my DH would say, "Take a deep breath, Susan".

It would appear to me that there are enough NCL customers who would enjoy the "freedom of choice" to dine in a restaurant which DOES enforce some sort of dress code.

Maybe "freestyle" should be expanded to include those passengers who like a more sophisticated dining experience.

I don't see why there couldn't be ONE ship restaurant in which the dress code requires a certain level of attire - i.e no sweats, t-shirts, ballcaps, athletic shoes. Actually it might be easier to define exactly what IS acceptable (collared shirts, slacks, etc.) It would be easy enough to remind passengers of the dress requirements at the time they make their reservations, so there would be no surprises. That way, if a passenger wishes to dress in athletic attire or pajama bottoms, he or she could choose ahead of time to eat elsewhere.

And for those who say it doesn't matter to them ("Just look away"), obviously there are many who disagree.

And while I'm on this subject - how about NO CELL PHONES in the specialty restaurants!!!! In LaTrattoria our last evening we were seated next to a nicely dressed couple, and the man pulled out his cell phone to check his half-million business related messages ... and put the phone on LOUDSPEAKER. I couldn't believe it! The waiter rolled his eyes, but did not say anything ...

I do agree with the earlier poster who wrote something to the effect that "you get what you pay for." Perhaps NCL's low fares are a good part of what encourages some people to de-value the fine dining experience.

Personally I believe it diminishes the experience for everyone when a few choose to push the "freestyle" envelope to the point of being inconsiderate, whether it is with sloppy dress or by self-centered behavior.

For us, although we enjoyed much of our last two NCL cruises, we will probably look to another line for our next cruise. I guess "freestyle to the extreme" is just not our cup of tea ...

Maybe "freestyle" should be expanded to include those passengers who like a more sophisticated dining experience.

I have to laugh everytime someone feels the need to describe something as "sophisticated." (Very popular on the Celebrity board: "We like to overdress for dinner. Aren't we sophisticated and upscale?")

Anyone can rent a tuxedo. Doesn't make him/her or the event he/she's attending "sophisticated." Anyone wanting to dine in a room full of tuxedos and suits to fulfill their need to feel "sophisticated" should simply cruise a different line. Easy solution.

Archived