Freestyle dress in specialty restaurants?

scdreamer

Maybe "freestyle" should be expanded to include those passengers who like a more sophisticated dining experience.

I guess this is the bit I don't get since you can wear whatever you want and if dressing up makes you feel better - by all means do so - to me that is what Freestyle is all about - doing what makes you comfortable. We prefer the resort casual look - I wear a sundress or pants and a top, my husband wears docker style pants and a collared shirt, our friend who often cruises with us likes to dress up a little more - she wears nicer pants and fancier 'evening style' tops. If NCL imposed "formal" wear nights this would mean an end to 'Freestyle dining' since to me Freestyle means choice. I think that people who equate sophisticated dining with dressing up should consider a cruiseline where there are definite, enforced dining room dress rules.

BTW - I agree absolutely about bellowing on cellphones in the dining room - that IS rude and obtrusive. If you must use a cell make it quick and quiet.

I guess this is the bit I don't get since you can wear whatever you want and if dressing up makes you feel better - by all means do so - to me that is what Freestyle is all about - doing what makes you comfortable. We prefer the resort casual look - I wear a sundress or pants and a top, my husband wears docker style pants and a collared shirt, our friend who often cruises with us likes to dress up a little more - she wears nicer pants and fancier 'evening style' tops. If NCL imposed "formal" wear nights this would mean an end to 'Freestyle dining' since to me Freestyle means choice. I think that people who equate sophisticated dining with dressing up should consider a cruiseline where there are definite, enforced dining room dress rules.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post regarding "sophisticated" dining (and I concede that probably wasn't the best word to use to describe what I was trying to convey)...

I didn't mean to imply that any "freestyle" dress code should ever call for "formal" wear. Just not sweats, jogging suits, ballcaps, t-shirts, ripped-up shoes ... (BTW, we saw a young man with a t-shirt that said "What the F*** are YOU looking at???" in the dining room at breakfast. I thought that was a bit offensive too, but it wasn't in a specialty dining room, so I just looked away.)

I think the clothing you described in your post is fine. It's certainly what I have chosen to wear on the cruises I have been on. When the suggested attire in the daily guide is designated as "resort casual" --- does that mean gym clothes? Maybe I'm missing something ...

And I was only suggesting ONE of the specialty restaurants be designated as a place where there would be a minimal type of dress rule that would actually be enforced.

There are so many things we like about NCL, the dress of some passengers in the specialty restaurants was just one thing that kind of surprised me on this last cruise. Of course, you are correct in saying we have the choice to cruise on another line ... that's what makes free enterprise great!

What an interesting thread.

After having engaged in many Dress-Code threads over on HAL, this is an instructive experience. :)

Same song ... different stanzas, different singers. :)

The wild thing is that, when someone on the HAL board suggests that those who don't like the HAL dress code cruise on another line (like NCL) we are bashed for being snobs and intolerant.

A couple of observations:

Although I am very likely to eat at barbecues when I'm in Texas, enjoying the sauce-dripping, falling-off-the-bone ribs held in my fingers and a supply of paper napkins at the ready, it's a different experience in a nice dining room of a better restaurant. NCL main restaurants maybe aren't "sophisticated" by some standards, but they are supposed to be a fine dining experience. It goes beyond the edges of your table. It includes the ambience of the room--the sounds--the scents--the feel of the tablecloth and chairs--the spaces between tables--and certainly the presence of fellow diners, including their behavior and dress. It is jarring to find any part of that ambience way out of expectation. Having a table of people in sweats when the evening meal calls out for some level of decorum is like discovering the chairs are folding metal chairs. I like sweats but would never wear them to dinner.

A second observation: I have friends who always dress very nicely to travel by air. While the rest of us slog through lines, murmuring about today's cattle-drive atmosphere in an airport, they breeze in with smiles on their faces, the husband in a dark suit, white shirt and tie (a head of beautiful white hair against tanned smiling face), the wife in a tasteful dress and heels, her makeup ready for a party (her hair, strangely, is still very black even in her 60's--hmmm :D ). They exude confidence. They also are treated very respectfully and somehow get perks that the rest of us don't, even though they don't hold first-class tickets. And guess who gets the first opportunity at free upgrades? I have yet to learn this lesson well enough to follow suit (pun intended) but I may yet.

Not all but some on this post equate the cost of the cruise with how some of the passengers might dress. Thats snobby. Its probably the rich in the suites showing up in sweats and baseball caps and dirty shoes. Whether rich or poor it comes down to one thing - manners, etiquette and up bringing. Some people just don't get it or just don't give a darn. And to tell you the truth I'd rather hang out with the lower - middle class anyday - than the snobs in the upper crust, walking around with their noble noses in the air.

Not all but some on this post equate the cost of the cruise with how some of the passengers might dress. Thats snobby. Its probably the rich in the suites showing up in sweats and baseball caps and dirty shoes. Whether rich or poor it comes down to one thing - manners, etiquette and up bringing. Some people just don't get it or just don't give a darn. And to tell you the truth I'd rather hang out with the lower - middle class anyday - than the snobs in the upper crust, walking around with their noble noses in the air.

I don't think anyone who posted regarding freestyle dress was trying to make it a rich vs. poor comparison.

Maybe if you look at it as the difference between going to McDonalds for a $3 burger & fries as opposed to making reservations to dine at a $50 steak & seafood restaurant. Most people would have different expectations for each experience. Same with different types of cruises.

(And of course you are correct in saying it's not possible to know whether someone is "rich" or "poor" by the way they dress or behave.)

Likewise, tune out those talking on radios and cell phones.

They paid for their cruise too, and they can do exactly what they want.:cool:

Not around me, they can't! I paid for my cruise, too, and I don't want to be within earshot of someone talking on their cell phone while I'm dining. This goes for land and sea.

I believe it is very rude to talk on a cell phone in any public restaurant. If a call needs to be answered, it is just good manners to excuse yourself and take the call away from the dining area.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry, but I have to reply to these threads.

There may not be an exclusion for certain attire. Additionaly, dress for some is like casual to others. Yet, still, there is a common knowledge of what one would look like if they were dressed to the nines. In my humble opinion, whatever your choice, you still need to look at the group as a whole. Just as others should not make you feel uncomfortable to be "dressed down" , you also should not make others feel uncomfortable who feel they want to dress-up.

If everyone stays open to others first, they will be able to raise or lower their style opinions enough to make it work for all. In other words, wear your Sunday best sweat suit without the cap in the specialy places, while the woman in the buglebeaded dress may want to leave her Prada shoes home, and just wear her stylish heals instead.

Think of everyone, and everyone will think of you. Maybe the world would smile much more. My Gosh people do get excited on these things. I'm online just trying to find out some basics for the cruise.

No matter what, have fun!

I personally do not equate sloppy attire with casual attire but unfortunately some apparently do. I am often appalled at what passes for appropriate here at home in FL as I would not clean my garage in what some folks choose to wear to dinner.

And, yes, I am affected to some extent by the attire of those around me as I have found that sloppy dress is often associated with sloppy behavior.

Sometime ago caviargal ... you stated ...

Both this and your other post indicate a concern for what others are doing (I noticed you did not want to wear the red dress because the rest of your party will not be as dressed up) and I really do not concern myself with what others wear.

Why don't you make up your mind and tell us what you really think! :confused:

Sometime ago caviargal ... you stated ...

Why don't you make up your mind and tell us what you really think! :confused:

Perhaps if you read them in context, you would see that these are two different issues. In the second, she was concerned that she would not match the rest of her party, that she would be out of place dressed formally on a formal night in a formal dress.

In the first, I was addressing the downgrade in attire overall.

Not sure what are you trying to prove, but I imagine I could cut and paste a Republican speech with out of context references and make it sound like Gore had written it :rolleyes:.

I am consistent in my dress code opinions.

It would appear to me that there are enough NCL customers who would enjoy the "freedom of choice" to dine in a restaurant which DOES enforce some sort of dress code.

I don't see why there couldn't be ONE ship restaurant in which the dress code requires a certain level of attire - i.e no sweats, t-shirts, ballcaps, athletic shoes. Actually it might be easier to define exactly what IS acceptable (collared shirts, slacks, etc.) It would be easy enough to remind passengers of the dress requirements at the time they make their reservations, so there would be no surprises. That way, if a passenger wishes to dress in athletic attire or pajama bottoms, he or she could choose ahead of time to eat elsewhere..

But what you are describing is the DRESS CODE on NCL. The problem is and has been for some time, differing levels of enforcement. Some ships enforce it strictly, others do not! We have discussed this issue at length on this board and I think we came to the conclusion that when the code it not enforced it is due to fear by the crew that the person will become irrate and make a scene or write a negative report about them which could affect their job. Too many people are like children today, don't get their way and so they throw a temper tantrum!

I however think all restaurants should remain Freestyle. The minute you make any restaurant on board not assesible to true Resort Casual dress, you have deystroyed the purpose of Freestyle.

And while I'm on this subject - how about NO CELL PHONES in the specialty restaurants!!!! In LaTrattoria our last evening we were seated next to a nicely dressed couple, and the man pulled out his cell phone to check his half-million business related messages ... and put the phone on LOUDSPEAKER. I couldn't believe it! The waiter rolled his eyes, but did not say anything ....

AMEN!!! I get so sick of people who talk on the phone during dinner. It is rude not only to others, but especially to their tablemates. I usually allow my voice mail to pick up my calls while I am dining or I simply look at it and see who it is so that I can call them back later.

One time I was dining with an office associate and he picked up his cell phone and started talking on it when a call came in. I continued my conversation as if he was still listening. It was business related and he looked at me and pointed to his phone but I kept talking. He then put the phone down to say to me "can't you see that I am on the phone" and I replied: "can't you see that I was already talking to you?" He sheepishly put the phone away.

I have also made comments in restaurants when people's phone conversation from other tables drift over. I have driven more than one person to leave their tables for their calls or put their phone away. It is amazing what a little embarassment does!

Personally I believe it diminishes the experience for everyone when a few choose to push the "freestyle" envelope to the point of being inconsiderate, whether it is with sloppy dress or by self-centered behavior.

Your self-centered comment sums up everything about this thread! Too many people today think what they want are more important than anyone else's needs, wants and more importantly, rights. There is an old saying in education: "Your rights end when they interfere with the rights of others!"

To those table cell phone users and those who think the dress code applies to everyone besides them and the many others who do similar rude, self-centered actions: "get a life!"

I sometimes don't enjoy having to dress formally that much anymore, (although now and then I don't mind. Just did an 11 nt. cruise in Europe in June and had 3 formal nts. Dragging along the clothing was a pain!) But I do think that the clothing enhances or detracts from the ambiance of the dining venue. Sloppy/dirty people do NOT enhance the environment for me. But if they and their clothing are CLEAN, and they at least look like they made an effort to consider others and to be presentable, I have no major complaints.

Someone in our family cruised w/us a while back and who is a professional athlete. He wears a baseball cap MOST of the time, and having never cruised before, he wore it right into the dining room most nights for dinner! (I made sure to warn him NOT to do it on formal nights and thankfully, he complied.) Otherwise he wore clean clothing, khakis, and collared, long sleeved, shirts. I'll admit, it made me feel uncomfortable when he wore a cap to dinner, and I didn't want to ask him to take it off, knowing he does not see anything wrong w/wearing a cap at dinner and feels it's a stupid, old fashioned rule. I was pretty embarrassed the first night, ONLY because of what I feared others were thinking (even though I can't really think of why it's rude to wear a cap at dinner!), but on the 2nd night of the cruise, he tipped the wait staff VERY, VERY well, and I don't think they would have cared if he wore a bikini to dinner after that! My point is, many lines turn their heads when dress codes are ignored, unless the result is extreme. They aren't in business to anger their customers.

I think saying no jeans, shorts or t-shirts IS what NCL is trying to get across. They are offering a shipboard experience tailored to people who hate dressing up. Still, they hope for "resort casual", but they also aren't going to offend a guest who doesn't comply. There are various components to dining that make it enjoyable to me. Not that the clothing at the next table is foremost in my mind, but if people are dirty or simply disregard the general standards trying to be set, it's an affront to everyone else who cooperates and kind of ruins a nice atmosphere for MOST of us, I think.

Archived