Fishing Recommendation out of Anchorage

tapia

I know, I know--this is another fishing question. Sorry! I just couldn't find what I was looking for in the search and I tried for hours.

DH and DF want to fish one day while we're in Anchorage. Actually, DM and I will be seeing the bears that day. Does anyone have a good recommendation of a place to fish around 1 hour away from Anchorage?

Maybe some kind of tour? Although, they would rent a car if necessary.

Also, DH wants to fish at one more stop. We'll be in Seward, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway with time for him to fish at the moment. Since this will be late June/early July, I'm unsure which area is good for him. Anyone know? I know Ketchikan is the Salmon capital of the world, but I'm pretty sure they aren't running at that time.....

(I'd also prefer not too expensive if we can manage that...)

Thanks in advance!

There are several places you can fish on your own - one of them is Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage. Best for kings with a rising tide. There are a lot of creeks within a couple hours drive of Anchorage, but the times you can fish are limited during king season (weekends).

Actually, I'd be looking at a Sunday or Monday out of Anchorage and Friday out of Seward. Then the ship dictates the times for the other ports....

Is there a specific place you would recommend? Or how to do it??

Thank you!!!!!

Again-If you ALL drive to Homer, you and DM can see the bears and DH and DF can fish. Or just let "the boys" go fishing with the car and you and Mom fly to see the bears out of Anchorage.

Here is the fishing guide my DH uses almost every year for the first day. DH needs to know from a LOCAL where the fish are running. Gary only bank fishes-no boat. And you must have a car, as Gary meets you at the river.

http://www.silverfinguides.com/

If you only have Sunday/Monday, I think you are out of luck. No fishing on Sundays and Mondays, EXCEPT Memorial Day. Here's a link to ALL the Alaska fishing regulations. You will have to get out a map AND READ all the rules to figure it out. Some of them are very contradictory. But generally, no king salmon fishing on Sundays/Mondays.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/reghome.cfm

Call Andy at Homer Air and see if he can't get you to Brooks Falls. He may not be able to, as permits are hard to get.

http://www.homerair.com/

When you book a charter, make sure that the captain instructs you on how to deal with Salmon Sharks - http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=10 !!

Murray

That's great! I'm glad they said kidding at the bottom!

@ greatam: Thank you for the information. Ship Creek look great. I see the restrictions on the link that you sent me. But, I don't see anything about Sunday or Monday........am I missing something?

I think I'm going to go with Katmailand from Anchorage and stay 1 night. That seems to work with what I'm planning. Thanks!

Are there any guides for fish creek?

@ greatam: Thank you for the information. Ship Creek look great. I see the restrictions on the link that you sent me. But, I don't see anything about Sunday or Monday........am I missing something?

Are there any guides for fish creek?

It's in one of the EO's (Emergency Orders) someplace. We arrive ANC on June 10 (Saturday). DH contacted Pete (another guide he uses on the upper Kenai/Anchorage area) for guide service on Sunday, June 11. Pete said the EO was not allowing fishing on Sundays and Mondays this year. So now DH is really po'd. What is he going to do for 2 days with no fishing? It is the only purpose of the trip for him.

Since you are going in 2007, you may be perfectly OK. The EO's are generally applied to salmon. And that is what most tourist's are interested in fishing for. The time frame you are going will still be King Salmon season. The red salmon season will be ending and the silver generally haven't started.

Archived