Dress Code Vienna State Opera

sailoruk

During our river trip from Prague to Bucharest in June, we have booked to go to an opera at the Vienna State Opera - Rigoletto -7 p.m. performance - does anyone know the "dress code".

Counting the days to our departure:)

What a wonderful evening you have ahead of you! We saw Flying Dutchman there and it was fantastic (as J described in his still ongoing review of our Peter Deilmann cruise -- he has some photos linked in his posts but not, of course, the evening of the performance). We wore dressy outfits, maybe even long skirts with dressy tops -- men wore suits. I just asked J and his recollection is that we saw a full range from tuxedos to more casual (but not jeans and teeshirts). Be sure to post afterwards and tell us all about it!! :)

S

Thanks for info. We are on the "Poetry" sure it will be wonderful, having done "various " rivers i.e. Rhine - some 15 years ago, to the Yangtze last year, with the Nile, Amazon, Volga & Zambezi (that only being a sunset cruise!!!). Did find on all, except the Amazon - which was on a cruise ship - the attire in general was very relaxed. My hubby will have to take a suit or similar!:)

H.

• 2 months later...

Having returned from a wonderful trip sailing the Danube from Nuremberg to the Black Sea. The high light for us was seeing "Rigoletto" at the Viennastaats opera. We did dress up, my hubby wearing a jacket, cravat, etc. and I a longish skirt and glitzy top, do find tho, yes people were "dressed", but the majority not - was a bit dissapointed with that. Such a wonderful venue and a magnificent Opera. Even today some 3 weeks later, still humming "La Donna Mobile." :)

Did also see Leoncavello's "La Bohome" in Prague - would suggest if anyone can see an opera in Europe, to do so.

For us River cruising is the best:D

..The high light for us was seeing "Rigoletto" at the Viennastaats opera. We did dress up, my hubby wearing a jacket, cravat, etc. and I a longish skirt and glitzy top, do find tho, yes people were "dressed", but the majority not - was a bit dissapointed with that.

sailoruk you say the majority were not "dressed" and we are wondering what the majority were wearing? Men in causal cotton pants and collared golf shirts or slacks and dress shirts? Woman in casual pants or dressy pants and fancy tops?

I personally thought that there would be more evening dress. There seemed to be people wearing casual trousers/slacks and ordinary tops. Yes, there were men wearing suits,and women in smart dresses/suits etc. it is just as I said, I thought it would be more "glitzy" maybe also it was an extremely hot evening - but it didn't deter from a great evening. :)

THANK YOU so much for posting after your trip. I'm so glad you enjoyed (as we did) the opera in Vienna and (as we did not get there) in Prague. We did get to the State Opera House in Budapest -- saw 3 Bartok pieces. But like you, we think it makes the entire event more special to dress appropriately. As I tell J, if the orchestra can wear very formal wear (including tailcoats), I don't see very casual wear as the right thing for the audience to wear. It somehow seems disrespectful to the musicians, not to mention those fantastically beautiful opera houses.

S

Archived