Anyone used the electronic Seaband?

My DH just bought this for me..... I am a little leery of putting this thing on since you need to put conductive gel and find the stimulation point by feeling a tingling in your palm or fingers. I have to say I will be trying it if I feel like I'm gonna hurl (pregnant so i am avoiding meds) however I'm a little scared of the whole electronic stimulation thing. Does it hurt? I have a few diver friends that swear by them, anyone else use them with success?

~Jen

I have one, mine must be a simpler version as you don't have to use gel or anything..I have brought it with me everytime we sail and have never had to use it..People here all say that they work..maybe you won't need to use it either :) Maybe it's just the knowing you have it if you need it..mind over matter type thing.. and I have been in big seas with lots of people getting sick and still never needed it..Good Luck.

My DH just bought this for me..... I am a little leery of putting this thing on since you need to put conductive gel and find the stimulation point by feeling a tingling in your palm or fingers. I have to say I will be trying it if I feel like I'm gonna hurl (pregnant so i am avoiding meds) however I'm a little scared of the whole electronic stimulation thing. Does it hurt? I have a few diver friends that swear by them, anyone else use them with success?

~Jen

We have one, take in on every cruise, just in case have used it three or four times. It has work for us eveytime. Remeber it is getting it's power from a battery, it is just a lite shock and It is FDA appoved, not many can state that. It was made for morning sickness we have heard from women that say it works. Good luck on what ever you decide ( the one I am speaking about is call the Relief Band)

If you have ever heard of "Mythbusters" TV show then you may have seen the episode they did on sea sick cures. They do scientific trials (though they do only use a small sample so they are not perfect in their methods) of popular cures. They tried Sea Bands, Electronic Sea Band bracelets, Ginger Pills, Bonine, and one other I can't remember right now. They put the cast that was the most likely to get seasick in a "sea sick inducing chair". They said it is what NASA uses to test the stomachs of astronauts. The ONLY ones that had any significant effects were the bonine pills and Ginger pills to a slightly lesser extent, but no drowsiness with the ginger. So the results were basically that the bracelet type devices were "Busted" ie. do not work at all.

Now after saying all that I bet there are plenty of people who will swear by the bracelets, my opinion on why is either they are people who would not have gotten sick even without the bracelets, or it is all in their heads, sometimes if you believe something will work... it will work, mind over matter and all that.

As for me I will skip all the magic cures that can't be proven to work and stick with the cures that are proven scientifically, but don't take offence if you use those others, we are all entitled to our opinions, and as long as you enjoy your cruise I guess you made the right decision for yourself.

We have one, take in on every cruise, just in case have used it three or four times. It has work for us eveytime. Remeber it is getting it's power from a battery, it is just a lite shock and It is FDA appoved, not many can state that. It was made for morning sickness we have heard from women that say it works. Good luck on what ever you decide ( the one I am speaking about is call the Relief Band)

Yup that's the one I have, the relief band, FDA approved, cost like $99. I cruised last September and had to take Dramamine four out of 10 days. If it works as well as I have heard I may be wishing I knew about it earlier in the pregnancy when i felt like throwing up 24/7 for 2 1/2 months!

Thanks for the info, I will use it if I need it.... hoping just having it will be enough :)

~Jen

The Relief Band works for me. In really rough seas I also take the less drowsy Dramamine. I used to have to take the Dramamine all the time just to be sure I didn't get sick since it doesn't work too well after the fact. May be "all in my head" but that's OK - the Relief Band works for me for whatever reason. And the little shock isn't painful.

Works for me as well.

I haven't be seasick since I've used it. (not counting 2004 Hurricane Ivan's weather) Nothing would have saved me from that.

You can adjust the sensation. I use #2 option usually.

My original one died after many years of service. I just bought on on ebay a few months ago for $45.

Archived