camp carnival question

mzim

What is the procedure for signing kids up for Camp Carnival?

Do you just go to the area of the camp and sign them up? Do you bring birth certificates to do this? Should the children come with you when you sign them up?

Thanks in advance for the information.

mzim - There will be an orientation in one of the lounges the first night, and you can sign them up at that time. If you miss the orientation, you can sign them up right at Camp Carnival. I've never had to show any ID for the kids when registering them. You will need to show your Sail and Sign card when signing them in and out of Camp Carnival, and the same person that signs them in has to sign them out as well.

I usually bring the kids with me to the orientation, but you don't have to if they're off doing something else. If you have a teen, however, I'd recommend that they attend the teen orientation - it gives them a chance to meet the other kids early on.

mzim - There will be an orientation in one of the lounges the first night, and you can sign them up at that time. If you miss the orientation, you can sign them up right at Camp Carnival. I've never had to show any ID for the kids when registering them. You will need to show your Sail and Sign card when signing them in and out of Camp Carnival, and the same person that signs them in has to sign them out as well.

I usually bring the kids with me to the orientation, but you don't have to if they're off doing something else. If you have a teen, however, I'd recommend that they attend the teen orientation - it gives them a chance to meet the other kids early on.

My daughter and I have always attended the orientation. I make a point of making sure we meet at least one of the counselors for her age group. She tends to be on the shy side, so that makes the transition into Camp Carnival easier (although as she's gotten older it hasn't been an issue for her, she's been excited to go and having been a few times helps, too). We're going on our first Princess cruise in July and she's looking forward to seeing what their camp is like.

The one exception we experienced as far as the same person has to pick them up that drops them off is when there's a conflict with excursions. That happened in Alaska--I was going on a salmon fishing excursion so DH signed her in when they woke up (the excursion left at 6:30!) and when I got back, he was off the ship. So, they let me pick her up. But we did arrange that with the counselors the day before and they said it would be fine.

Have a great time!

Jayne

A way around the same person must sign in/out, is for both parents to sign in - then either one can sign out.

Also, if you are sailing during a time lots of kids are on board, try to register them on the first night (at the orientation or at the camp after 10 pm.) The line for registration the first morning was unbelievable on our one August cruise.

I was just curious as to the policy about Excursions and the Camp. We are going on the Imagination on June 24th which has port stops in Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. My husband and I would like to do Dunns River Falls but found out it is not appropriate for our 5 year old son.

Last year we went on the Fascination and just did our own excursions. As the cruise was ending, we found out that if we book an excursion through the ship, we could leave him in Camp. Anyone know if this is correct?

Andrea

Splendour of the Seas 11/96

Fascination 5/05

Imagination 6/06

I was just curious as to the policy about Excursions and the Camp. We are going on the Imagination on June 24th which has port stops in Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. My husband and I would like to do Dunns River Falls but found out it is not appropriate for our 5 year old son.

Last year we went on the Fascination and just did our own excursions. As the cruise was ending, we found out that if we book an excursion through the ship, we could leave him in Camp. Anyone know if this is correct?

Andrea

Splendour of the Seas 11/96

Fascination 5/05

Imagination 6/06

I am also curious about doing a more adventurous excursion than my children will be allowed to participate in. Anyone know if the kids can stay onboard for a couple hours? I can always come back and get them off the ship when we return, right?

Yes, they absolutely can stay aboard while you go off to do whatever...The camp is open from when the ship docks until it sails away, with no closures. They will see that your kids get lunch if you aren't on board.

I would just add a caveat based purely on my own paranoia. If you aren't traveling with other family members or close friends, you may want to consider a ship-sponsored excursion, just on the off chance something totally unforeseeable happens and you are delayed getting back to the ship. Never a good possibility, but unthinkable if your kids are on the ship "alone". :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

On the Carnival Spirit in Alaska last summer we left our boys in the camp for about three hours while we did a float plane/salmon bake excursion.

However, to clarify what someone said below, our experience was that you you cannot leave them in camp from docking to sail-away. You are supposed to pick them up for lunch (noon to 2pm) unless you are booked on an excursion. We dropped our sons off around 11:30am at the camp, explained that we were going on an exursion, and then went for lunch on the Lido deck before leaving for the excursion. When the camp counselors brought the kids up for their lunch, they happened to sit right next to me and my husband. One of them said, "you're supposed to pick them up for lunch if you're on board during lunchtime." We explained that we were just grabbing a quick bite before our excursion and she actually asked to see our tickets to verify. That annoyed me but I got over it. Overall, the camp was great with the kids and they had a blast.

Archived