QM 2 in drydock?

flandre58

I noticed on this morning's QM 2 webcam that she is in drydock in Hamburg. Isn't she supposed to be on a Med cruise right now?

Oh Flandre58 .... you haven't been paying attention have you??????

KenC- a bit less of the facetious and a bit more pointing to the proper thread might have been a more appropriate response. Not all of us follow every thread every day....However, that being said, I now recall that QM 2 is supposed to be in drydock-- I had been thinking only about the November pod replacement, not the current de-podding or whatever you want to call it. So pardon my a memory lapse....

KenC- a bit less of the facetious and a bit more pointing to the proper thread might have been a more appropriate response. Not all of us follow every thread every day....However, that being said, I now recall that QM 2 is supposed to be in drydock-- I had been thinking only about the November pod replacement, not the current de-podding or whatever you want to call it. So pardon my a memory lapse....

Oh flandre58 ... can't you take a jest ? With all the hot air on this board it is difficult to miss a disaster such as a port being cancelled let alone a cruise replaced with a drydocking?? No offense intended ...

I don't follow these boards as much as I'd like to either. I have much going on at this time. I apologize if I upset anyone, but could someone tell me too why the QM2 is in drydock? Or direct to where that information is posted?

Dry dock in Elbe 17 Hamburg for port side forward pod removal - Damaged in Ft. Lauderdale. Dry dock again in Nov 06 for refitting of refurbished pod. Details on the damage to the pod and the cause are not clear (plenty of speculation) USCG & MAIB reports have not yet been made available inthe public domain (to my knowledge- unlees anyone has info to the contrary)

She'll run on 3 pods for the summer. One of the advantages of being the only 4 screw ship built since France (I think) is the ability to carry on crossing. There will be no drop in cruising speed, however, because she won't be able to reach her top speed to make up for any delays encountered at sea, they've (slightly) extended her sailing times. Some reports say that there is more vibration at the stern, it will be interesting to see if this is because the 3 working screws are working hard to keep that speed or because the damaged pod is causing this. Once the damaged pod has been removed I will be interested to hear reports of vibration from passengers. I will also be able to feel any vibration first hand later this year on my crossing which happens before the pod is put back.

Good question for all here, when was the last time a 3 screw liner crossed the atlantic? Will this be an historic summer, crossing on a 3 screw ship?

Pepper.

Good question for all here, when was the last time a 3 screw liner crossed the atlantic? Will this be an historic summer, crossing on a 3 screw ship?

Pepper.

I would think with 6 days at sea, there would be plenty of time for more than three.... uh, never mind!

Karie,

who is VERY BAD!

Pepper.

I'm sure someone will contradict , but I'd guess March 1935 with RMS Olympic????

I'm sure someone will contradict , but I'd guess March 1935 with RMS Olympic????

I'm going to go for Laurentic. I believe she was crossing regularly after March (1935) until she hit the Napier in August that year. She was repaired but didn't cross again, being used on other duties.

Unless anyone knows differently?

Pepper.

The April 15 crossing there was quite a bit of vibration however she kept her speed just fine. We left NY about an hour early but reached Southampton 3 hours ahead of schedule. (Much to my dismay) :cool:

Kroozcams now shows her out of drydock and en route to Southampton http://www.kroooz-cams.com/cunardindex.html Not like you can see anything right now...:rolleyes:

I'm going to go for Laurentic. I believe she was crossing regularly after March (1935) until she hit the Napier in August that year. She was repaired but didn't cross again, being used on other duties.

Unless anyone knows differently?

Pepper.

Trumped by 5 months (though she did sail to Canada not the USA) !!! But what about the Drottningholm of Swedish America (ex Virginian of 1905). She was sailing transatlantic until 1939 - though I'm not sure if she retained her triple screws after new engines were installed in 1922.

She sailed on until 1955 - so there's hope for all you QE2 groupies out there!!!!

Trumped by 5 months (though she did sail to Canada not the USA) !!! But what about the Drottningholm of Swedish America She was sailing transatlantic until 1939
The (ex Virginian) Drottiningham of 1905 sailed in WW2 as a Red Cross ship, and after the war she returned to TA work. In 1948 she was renamed Brasil and crossed Italy-South America. Renamed again (Homeland) she crossed Germany-New York and Italy-New York. She was scrapped in 1955 in Trieste.

The Oranje of 1939 (destroyed by fire in '79) is, I am told by others more informed than me, the last 3 screw Liner on the atlantic, but at present I'm not certain of the date of her last TA.

And there was me thinking that it was 70 years since the last 3 screw crossing!

Pepper.

The United States Line "America" was a triple screw. I think she sailed on under various names ("Australis")

I'm led to believe that America was a twin screw ship, anyone else know?.

Oranje as Angelina Lauro, crossed in late '78 and so far from there being a 70 year gap between the last 3 screw liner on the atlantic and QM2 there is less than 30! I'm grateful to P C Kohler at Liners List for this information.

Pepper.

I'm led to believe that America was a twin screw ship, anyone else know?.

There is a website that claims America as triple screw - but Kludas has her down as twin screw - so I'm inclined to believe that.

Peter

Archived