Snorkeling without Stingrays

klflote

Okay, I've swum with and fed the stingrays. It was fun, but I'm over it.

Anyone know of companies that offer snorkeling trips that don't stop at Stingray City? I don't see those options on Captains Marvin or Bryan sites.

Captain Marvin's offers a shipwreck snorkel. That's on our list the next time we are there. I don't know why I can't find it on their webpage...I know I saw it. I e-mailed CM's and I'm wondering if they just e-mailed me the info (I looked in my old e-mails but don't have it anymore). We talked about doing this this past January, but ended up only doing the stingray snorkel.

Captain Marvin's offers a shipwreck snorkel. That's on our list the next time we are there. I don't know why I can't find it on their webpage...I know I saw it. I e-mailed CM's and I'm wondering if they just e-mailed me the info (I looked in my old e-mails but don't have it anymore). We talked about doing this this past January, but ended up only doing the stingray snorkel.

Good luck in finding a snorkel tour without rays. Been trying for the last 5 months. Email every tour group on the grand cayman website and every tour and dive shop listed on the CC sites. If you can find one PLEASE post it.

Klfote; Know what you mean After being around Manta rays and all other types of rays , being around half tame ones takes the fun out of it. Also these so call dolphin swims. They just don't know what they are missing

Paul

The only way I found so far will be shore snorkeling and then the rays you will find are the wild ones.

DW and I have been thinking about EdenRock,the CALI wreckand Cheese burger reef if there is not to many others around And if so go to West Bayto Turtle farm and Cemetery reef

Paul

Carnival Valor 26 Nov 06

203 days to go:eek:

Good luck in finding a snorkel tour without rays. Been trying for the last 5 months. Email every tour group on the grand cayman website and every tour and dive shop listed on the CC sites. If you can find one PLEASE post it.

Klfote; Know what you mean After being around Manta rays and all other types of rays , being around half tame ones takes the fun out of it. Also these so call dolphin swims. They just don't know what they are missing

Paul

Captain Marvin's offered snorkel trips that weren't with the stingrays (when we were there this past January). They were called "shipwreck snorkels." It seems to me that they may have been later in the day, so it wouldn't work for cruise ship passengers. But I know they offered this because I talked to Joan several times about it. I wonder if they are still offering this? It would be worth it to e-mail CM's and ask. I know it was offered when I was setting up our stingray snorkel.

Here's a page that shows what I was talking about. They offer a shipwreck and reef trip. I know when they sent me the infomation, I was surprised to see this being offered. I hadn't seen it on CM's website. At any rate, my kids wanted to do the stingrays again, and we never got around to doing another snorkel trip that week.

http://www.caymanislands.ky/vacation_planner/eBrochure.asp?k=6&b=1&pid=36632

We went to Eden Rock last year and spent a few hours.... great snorkeling, clean bathrooms/food and beverages and renatl equip if you need it. I highly recc. it and it is basically free if you have your own equip. Lots of fish and if you snorkel out there are good coral reefs.

We've also snorkeled at Eden Rock twice and another place down the road a bit(can't think of the name). Both places, in addition to the amenities already mentioned, also have lockers to rent if you want to stow some stuff. A nice variety of fish and just a short walk from the tender pier.

Becki

These tours take you to the following areas

A) The gamma wreck and Cheese burger reef or

B) The Cali wreck and Eden rock

C) or a mixed of A&B.

All in close to the Pier. From those I talked to it is easier to do a shore tour than the Boat tour You get more time and less people in the water at the same time. They are within 1/2 mile of the pier.

About a year and half ago we went on the Capt. Marvins shipwreck and snorkel tour. It was on a glass bottom boat. But at that time it was listed on his website. Since it is no longer listed, it may not be offered any longer. So I would contact Ruth, in his office, and inquire.

Also, the Nautlius, which is a semi-submersible, offers a tour which includes the ride on the semi-submersible and then an hour or hour/and one half of snorkeling. The snorkeling is around the shipwreck which is located near Cheeseburger Reef. You can book this privately, although some cruise lines offer it as a ship-sponsored excursion too.

We have also seen at least one ship-sponsored shore excursion involving non-stingray snorkeling on every RCI and Princess cruise we have taken to Grand Cayman, although we have never taken one of these.

Archived