Vancouver Info if needed

PD - did you take your little trip up the coast and if so how was it and what's the latest on the new ferry for the Earls Cove crossing.

Yes we went up yesterday it was a beautiful trip. In some respects I think it is nicer then going thru Active Pass and the Gulf Islands. The Queen of Tsawwssen is still on the run. Global ran a news item recently on the new build and as I recall it won't be in place until this fall some time, only about 11 months late. After lunch at the Thai-dal Zone we drove up to Lund and sat on the deck of the old Lund Hotel where we enjoyed a wobbly pop. The only unfortunate event was just before Maderia Park a deer lept on the road, I swerved to miss her and she ran right into the corner panel and passenger side door of my car, she got up bruised and continued to cross the Hwy but I likely have several thousand dollars of damage to my car that ICBC is going to have to deal with.

How unfortunate - hope that everyone including the deer are okay. Animals on the road are always a concern when driving as they can be very unpredictable.

How does ICBC handle that accident - are you assessed a penalty and lose any discounts or is it consider an "act of God"

Second night of fireworks tonight but it is clouding over and it could be showery to watch - well that at least will keep the crowds down.

Take care

Cheers

Dennis

How unfortunate - hope that everyone including the deer are okay. Animals on the road are always a concern when driving as they can be very unpredictable.

How does ICBC handle that accident - are you assessed a penalty and lose any discounts or is it consider an "act of God"

Second night of fireworks tonight but it is clouding over and it could be showery to watch - well that at least will keep the crowds down.

Everyone in the car was fine, just rapid heart beats. The deer went back into the woods and then crossed the highway behind us but was limping. The last time I wacked a deer was up at Yaak and that time they just covered it with do deductable. However they do like to see some hair so I gathered a few and took pictures of hair on the tires, so that seemed to placate them yesterday.

Hello y'all.....question re: the building around Canada Place. Last year, when we were doing our pre-cruise for Alaska.....we stayed at Fairmont Waterfront. As we looked out at the Harbor and toward Stanley Park, there was major construction blocking part of our view. It seems it had something to do with Canada Place extension. Is that completed, or is the harbor view/Stanley Park still blocked with building and builders ?? Just trying to get prepared to request a room with a great view/not a partially great room :D . gg

Hello y'all.....question re: the building around Canada Place. Last year, when we were doing our pre-cruise for Alaska.....we stayed at Fairmont Waterfront. As we looked out at the Harbor and toward Stanley Park, there was major construction blocking part of our view. It seems it had something to do with Canada Place extension. Is that completed, or is the harbor view/Stanley Park still blocked with building and builders ?? Just trying to get prepared to request a room with a great view/not a partially great room :D . gg

gg, the work is still going on but the pile driving noise is over with. Yes it is an extension of the Convention centre at Canada Place so depending on what floor you got it could impair your view, however the higher the floor the less the impact.

Thank you, Putt, for your reply. Another question that I have posted on HAL & Alaska, but so far no feedback. We use HAL transfers to simplify our travels to Canada and Alaska. In our past trips, we have placed our luggage inside our hotel room on cruise day and HAL picks it up and we see it next in our cabin. Great. Then we meet in the lobby of hotel for a HAL shuttle to take us on a tour of the city, then early afternoon to Canada Place to board. The HAL reps meet the shuttle bus, take your group in tow, and take you through check in, then you are on the boat. BUT, we are thinking that this year, we would like HAL to take care of our luggage.....but we would like to skip the tour and board our ship earlier....before noon. Do we need to inform our HAL reps that we won't be on the shuttle ?? I assume the luggage is handled the same whether you take the tour or not. 2nd question: how do you get to the HAL check in line from....lets say Fairmont Waterfront (since we have only gotten there via the shuttle which goes under PP. Is there an elevator in PP we can just ride down in ?? Sorry, so wordy. gg

gg, I am sorry that I can't answer your first question as I have never sailed with HAL so am not familiar with the process at all. I would suggest that you would be best to contact HAL directly. As for the second question, you only have to walk across the street and you are there, you shouldn't have any trouble finding the embarkation level via an elevator, there are lots of direction signs

Question:

Have been to Vancouver before...seen the Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain and Granville Island and seen town somewhat....we are planning to come in 1 day early but could come 2...is there anything else to tour that is special except Stanley Park???? We are not shoppers....we are sightseers???

Lou

Drive an hour north past Horseshoe Bay for some spectacular scenery between Vancouver and Whistler. An overnight stay can be had for around $100 per couple and there are many great outdoor activities. Check squamish tourism websites for details.

From the Pan Pacific Hotel (across the street from the Fairmont) go thru the front doors, all the way to the back - right hand side, to the parking elevator - 1st elevators you pass for room access, the elevator you want is a few feet past. Press CS (cruise ship level) and Voila.. you are at the terminal.

Enjoy

Oh thank you so much for this info. We have stayed both at Pan and Fairmont Waterfront.....but as of yet, have not rec. our docs to know which one we will be at mid Sept. Both are wonderful, for sure !!! We do not go through immigration again until after our cruise is over, correct ??? gg

gg, I thought you were going to phone the hotels to find out which one you were staying at.....you've got me curious now?;)

You will clear Canadian customs at the Vancouver airport and then you will clear US customs at the cruise terminal.

gg, I thought you were going to phone the hotels to find out which one you were staying at.....you've got me curious now?;)

You will clear Canadian customs at the Vancouver airport and then you will clear US customs at the cruise terminal.

I called the Fairmont Waterfront this week (since that is my hotel of choice in Vancouver:)) and asked if they had our HAL pre/post cruise reservations. She said they did not, but it was too far out to have them from HAL. She said the hotel would probably not have them until two weeks before our arrival date. BUT......I may call Pan and F.W. both tomorrow and just see if they have any info. I am not a patient gal. I also want to insure that we have a room overlooking the harbour vs overlooking the city. Oh yes, I remember the U.S. customs lines at the cruise terminal. But, oh my gosh.....the Canadian lines at YVR are the longest and busiest I have ever seen. Not griping though. Can hardly wait to get to the cooler temps of Vancouver and Alaska. This whole week our temps have been over 100, here in East Texas, which is just miserable. I walk the Golden Ret. before 7 am, so she can handle the heat and it is in the 70's at that early hour. We need rain terribly. Send us some cool temps and rain from the Great Northwest, y'all. gg

Well let us know how you make out re hotels. We had a lousy spring up here but July was pretty nice although we had a pretty good rain here yesterday and is supposed remain cool for the balance of the week. By September though at hot day will be mid 70's so you should enjoy it.

For those planning on a pre or post cruise excursion to Whistler in the next five days or so...there was a huge rock slide last night that has blocked the Sea-To- Sky highway to and from Whistler.

They are saying it will be five or more days before they blast out the remaining over-hang and clear the road for travel.

There maybe alternative transportation available...but no one knows for sure what and how much.

TCF, they are not saying anything about it but I suspect the train tracks may be closed even longer which may place the Rocky Mountaineer trips via Whistler in jeoprady for a while. So anyone with reservations on the Rocky Mountaineer may want to check with the company.

Heh Putt and TCF......any photo links for the rock slide that we can see. Has this area had a lot of rain that would cause the slide, or is this just part of the natural process of the mountainside ?? You can tell that in E. Texas we don't have mountains.....just rolling hills and lots of green forest and lakes........so I don't quite know how to word my question. Maybe, just to say: Pictures ??? Cause(s) ??? gg

This is a great thread - thanks to all for the information. A few questions:

1. We are arriving at Ballantyne on the Radiance and staying at Blue Horizon - what is the best method of transportation to the hotel for the four of us?

2. What is the difference between the HOHO bus and the Vancouver Trolley?

3. After doing the HOHO or trolley and Stanley Park, what we will have time for in a day?

Thank you,

Sharon

This is a great thread - thanks to all for the information. A few questions:

1. We are arriving at Ballantyne on the Radiance and staying at Blue Horizon - what is the best method of transportation to the hotel for the four of us?

2. What is the difference between the HOHO bus and the Vancouver Trolley?

3. After doing the HOHO or trolley and Stanley Park, what we will have time for in a day?

I am afraid that the only way from Ballantyne is via taxi or limo. Because most of Vancouver's cabs have been downsized to the point that 4 people with bags won't fit you will have to wait for a full size or van cab. There are limo desks there. Ballantyne is not close to transit and it is in a very seedy area.

The hoho bus is Vancouvet Trolley, hoho means hop off, hop on; don't worry I puzzled over that for a while.

I think you are going to find the trolley and the shuttle in the park are going to fill your day particularly if you get off the trolley and shuttle to see some of the sights as you go along. But if you still have the energy then you may want to take a trip over to the North Shore and do the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride.

www.capbridge.com/

www.grousemountain.com/

This is a great thread with so much information. We arrive in Vancouver on Celebrity and I believe that means Ballantyne Pier. We have a car rented through National and I believe that means the car will be at the other pier. Best I can tell there is no National office at Ballantyne and we need National since they have the best prices to drop the car off in Seattle when we fly out 5 days later. Can someone confirm that there is no National at Ballantyne and also confirm what I assume and that is I just need to get a taxi to the other pier to pick up the car and then come back for all the luggage. We are staying at Sutton Place. Thanks for your help. David

This is a great thread with so much information. We arrive in Vancouver on Celebrity and I believe that means Ballantyne Pier. We have a car rented through National and I believe that means the car will be at the other pier. Best I can tell there is no National office at Ballantyne and we need National since they have the best prices to drop the car off in Seattle when we fly out 5 days later. Can someone confirm that there is no National at Ballantyne and also confirm what I assume and that is I just need to get a taxi to the other pier to pick up the car and then come back for all the luggage. We are staying at Sutton Place. Thanks for your help. David

David, there are no rental cars campanies at Ballantyne (sorry) and you will pick up your car at either National's Canada Place or downtown location on W. Georgia. I would advise you to call the company but I am all but certain that they will shuttle you from Ballantyne to your car.

Greetings everyone - just thought that I would do one more post before I disappear into the Canadian Rockies hiking trip with my long time friends in the http://www.skylinehikers.ca of the Canadian rockies - to see the area just click on Tall Timbers.

Back to civilization next Saturday so until then take care.

Cheers

Dennis

Greetings everyone - just thought that I would do one more post before I disappear into the Canadian Rockies hiking trip with my long time friends in the www.skylinehikers.ca of the Canadian rockies - to see the area just click on Tall Timbers.

Have a good time, was in the city today....ok for you city dwellers...:)

I am on the links Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday's game is at Squamish....hope they don't drop a ton of rock on me. Then Friday we are going overseas....to Comox....DW says we are not leaving there until Monday so you will likely beat me home. Better take my clubs in case a game breaks out.