Wasting Food - Here's A Solution

superjerryw

Here's a link to an article about some people that were thrown out of an all you can eat buffet restaurant becasue they were wasting the food.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060507075009990020

Perhaps the cruise lines need to do something similar since so many people pile their plates high with food and then leave most of it uneaten.

Every cruise ship will now have "Plate Police" that will admonish you if you leave the table and there is still food on your plate. Offenders will be banned from all shipboard restaurants and will only be given a can of Spam that they have to eat in the confines of their cabin....:eek:

I think it's great that a restaurant stood up to this type of people. I feel guilty when I leave food on my plate when I have taken something off the buffet that I didn't like. It goes back to the old "clean your plate" lecture from childhood! :)

I still say that life is too short to eat food you don't like. :) I refuse to feel guilty if I take something from a buffet and don't like it. I leave it uneaten with a clear conscience. I might choke down something I hate to please my mother-in-law, but for some restaurant owner? Never!

Lisa

I don't like wasting food and at a buffet I spend more time picking out little bits, then going to try a little more, but at a resautrant where in this country the portions are supersized I don't feel that I have to clean my plate. I'm being successful losing weight by leaving a bit and resigning from the clean plate club. I usually don't get a doggie bag, because the next day soggy stuff in styrofoam just goes in the trash anyway.

I do agree that it is discusting to see people load there plates with food falling off, or strainng out the soup so they get all the "good stuff". I like buffets better where servers dish out the food. At one smogasborg there is a sign that states that people removing food from the restaurant will be considered shoplifters.

Buffet food at best is mediocre, so there is much left on my plate at the end of a meal. I have no idea how something is going to taste until I put it on my plate and try it. If it's horrible, I don't eat it.....simple as that. If people don't like it, too bad. :)

Nothing wrong with not eating what you don't like.

But what I do the odd few times I go to a buffet is to try a little first and then go back for more if I like. Unless it's a popular item, chances are that it'll be there when you go back.

I don't have a problem with taking a couple of egg rolls, trying one and deciding that I don't care for them. But in the article this family was described as taking a bunch of an item, taking one bite, tossing the rest out and then going back up to the buffet and taking more of the same item. That's just wrong. I don't have a problem with a family being asked to leave that does that.

Archived