Drinks on board

deej123

I'm off shortly on a first cruise/crossing - and just had a short query on drinks.

I'd like to take some drinks on board with me just to have in the cabin - I'm not trying to be cheap (honestly!!) but thought it would be nice for relaxed night cap, etc, and it is what we tend to do in hotels - but wondered if this is frowned on or even strongly discouraged ????

Grateful for any tips

Wondered if this is frowned on or even strongly discouraged?

I am fairly sure that Cunard wouldn't be keen on the idea, they do say in their conditions that alcohol not bought on board should be handed to the baggage master for safe keeping, however they've never stopped us taking drinks on-board. As long as you don't become drunk and rowdy more than once on your trip then you should be OK!

You don't say if you're doing a cruise or a crossing - if you're doing a cruise you might well find that your first port of call will sell drinks much cheaper than at home. Again we've carried bottles on from ports - they've x-rayed our bags, but never taken the liquor.

Cunard Line Package Contract, which every passenger must sign, states:

"No passenger may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard the vessel unless the servants or the agents of the Company have served or provided that beverage to the passenger."

Firstly, you can order drink through Cunard for your room, so that you can both fit in with the rules AND have the drink you want. This might be the easy option, although it won't be the cheapest.

Secondly, I would imagine that you just need to be discreet about it. We certainly had a bottle of champagne on the shelf for a week in full view, and nothing was said. But there could not have been complaints about the amount that our bar bills generated! As long as your cabin stocks aren't losing them revenue of note, I don't imagine anything would be said.

I have always brought a huge bottle of rum and vodka with me for my transatantic crossings. Never confiscated, never a word said on both the QE2 and QM2. Always in plain sight in our cabin no matter which grade of cabin we had, from lowest of the low to pretty high up. But, the packages they have on board aren't too bad. $20.00 for a bottle of rum or vodka and I think 5 cokes or diet cokes. But it's a small bottle of booze, not like the ones I bring aboard. I was glad to have them with me on board and especially in England, as I found the liquour outrageously expensive. Couldn't believe the price of beer never mind liquour when you could find it to buy it. Love those nightcaps.

Cheers

I believe I have brought booze on board on every cruise I have ever been on. The secret is to be discreet. I usually decant from glass bottle into a plastic water bottle type bottle- The ones with the sipper tops for ease of pouring. This is lighter weight in your handcarry and less likely to break. I also put each bottle individually in a ziplock bag and wrap a beach towel or item of clothing around it. Be zure to label them with a sharpie or something so you don't mix them up! Last cruise I brought all of the makings (complete with fresh mint and limes and decorative straws) for mojitos for a party with some CC'ers from this board. We had a marvelous time in their cabin with our small, but nicely crowded private party before dinner one evening!

The trick is to sneak mixers on board! If you like things like Margaritas! We have even brought on a six pack of a favorite beer or soda not available on board. All they have for diet generally is diet coke (ugh) So I bring a six of Fresca or diet Mountain Dew or Diet Pepsi. What can they say? They don't serve what I like!

And they make plenty off of my bar bill, trust me! I like a cocktail while I am getting ready for dinner, (and not dressed yet) or as a nightcap. I also bring (or buy on board) a thermo sipper bottle- The ones with the foam around them to keep drinks cold. A water bottle is also nice to take when walking on a port stop. (I have to keep hydrated or I go into choking fits that catch my breath) You can even get these with insulated carry cases. I've recently discovered Propel flavored fitness water. The bottles have a neck wide enough to fit ice cubes into- (And the blue bottle gives the illusion of being colder! <G>) They even taste good in flavors like mango and mandarin orange. If you bring stuff on board in this type of bottle though, use some packing tape, duct tape or even strapping tape around the neck/top to be sure the screw top doesn't loosen and soak your clothes.

Karie,

who has lots more helpful hints if anyone needs them!

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

I hadn't realised that they did the bottle/mixer packages - I'd thought that we'd have to be ordering individual drinks one at at time, which seemed really inconvenient. I should have guessed that they make things nice and easy for you, so that definitely seems the way to go, and will save room in my bags!

Thanks again - I've never been on any sort of cruise before so I'm finding these boards really helpful and slightly addictive!

Deej

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Thanks again - I've never been on any sort of cruise before so I'm finding these boards really helpful and slightly addictive!

Deej

You've said exactly what I love about this board, there are so many friendly, helpful, experienced and wonderful people here that are so willing to share their knowledge and information. To all of them I also say "thank you".

Pepper.

I'm off shortly on a first cruise/crossing - and just had a short query on drinks.

I'd like to take some drinks on board with me just to have in the cabin - I'm not trying to be cheap (honestly!!) but thought it would be nice for relaxed night cap, etc, and it is what we tend to do in hotels - but wondered if this is frowned on or even strongly discouraged ????

Grateful for any tips

the ship is not a problem with you personal supply of alcohol !!! we have brought our own wine and liquor on many occasions with out incident!!!! but if you are travelling via an airline some airlines will not allow alcohol or other liquids to be shipped unless packaged as to thier specs so as to prevent breakage/leakage in the cargo area and contaminating other cargo!!!

Nothing has to be sneaked on board. Airlines give you the go ahead as long as nothing is opened. Cunard has never questioned any alcohol we have brought onboard as long as it is not already open. If you ask them, Cunard, on the phone before going on a cruise they discourage it, but that is to their advantage. I have been told if alcohol is not in it's original container it will be confiscated. Just like any medications. They should be in the original containers, not in pill boxes. Once a mother was trying to bring on breast milk in a bottle and it was taken away. So, use your best judgment. If it's liquid and unmarked........good luck.

Nothing has to be sneaked on board. Airlines give you the go ahead as long as nothing is opened. Cunard has never questioned any alcohol we have brought onboard as long as it is not already open. If you ask them, Cunard, on the phone before going on a cruise they discourage it, but that is to their advantage. I have been told if alcohol is not in it's original container it will be confiscated. Just like any medications. They should be in the original containers, not in pill boxes. Once a mother was trying to bring on breast milk in a bottle and it was taken away. So, use your best judgment. If it's liquid and unmarked........good luck.

I guess take that as a caveat, but I have never had a problem.

About a year and a half ago, I was boarding a plane at a small airport (DAB) I had a half-filled 1.75 liter bottle of expensive tequila. I wasn't about to pour it out! As I passed through secuirty and they examined the contents of my bag, they exclaimed, "I'm afraid you're going to have to drink some of this in front of us to prove it's not gasoline or something"..."We'll help you," they grinned. And let me pass through with my bottle intact (and undrunk)

I wouldn't recommend anyone try this. But it is nice to see that some folks are reasonable. It obviously smelled like tequila,. It obviously was the remains of what I had with me that was too much to just toss, and a sense of humor goes a long way!

Karie,

who elected not to share any with the pilot

Archived