QE2 left for the Med

Bon voyage Stephen,

You'll have to let me know how the Princess Grill is (or are you in the Britannia Grill?) as I am in this Rest. on my next QE2 cruise this September.

Also did you have one of the newly 'refitted' bathrooms in your P grade cabin?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Hi Stephen

Delighted to hear that your safely away, and with Captain Bates you will be in superb hands, Im sure we are all waiting to hear your comments and observations of the old girl when you return!!

Have a great time anyway

Myles

(Im in a state of shock, recieved the voyage info booklet yesterday for my overnighter in July, maybe at last Cunard have got their act together, never really expected it so soon, usually it appears a few weeks before the tickets)

Got ours for the overnighter recently too. Hard on the heels for the ones for June.

Not impressed by the way these have fallen in quality in just two years - on our first trip together we had one each, in much better paper.

Then one between us, but still nice paper.

This one is cheap and nasty. The one in June has excursion prices missing, and doesn't make it clear when one port stops and another starts. I know one can work it out if you are an "old hand" but not everyone is.

Expanded, I note, for our shopping convenience.

Not impressed by the way these have fallen in quality in just two years - on our first trip together we had one each, in much better paper.

Ah - the advantages of being a gay man! We still get a booklet each (although still on cheap paper), we get separate ticket wallets, we even get two bon-voyage bottles in out cabin!:)

Ah - the advantages of being a gay man! We still get a booklet each (although still on cheap paper), we get separate ticket wallets, we even get two bon-voyage bottles in out cabin!:)

Was that a freudian slip? <G>

Well, I guess Marc and I must be gay men then! We got two booklets for our Jan cruise. And four sets of docs! That was just after the transition and they screwed up the first set. Coudn't tell which one were the right ones so we brought all four!

Karie,

Who definitely isn't a gay man... I don't think... Unless there is something my parents didn't tell me! (OTOH, I do like the same gender as you! <teehee!>)

Was that a Freudian slip? <G>

No - it should have read "our cabin"!

Well, I guess Marc and I must be gay men then!

Congratulations:)

And four sets of docs!

You aren't a gay couple - you're each a gay couple! Are you a candidate to be thrown overboard at an art auction?

Interesting idea.

If Cunard give two bottles of champagne to a same sex couple, are they acting illegally in giving one bottle to a married couple?

I'm tempted to ask the purser, but it might look a bit tight!

Still, congratulations for teasing extra goodies out of them!

If Cunard give two bottles of champagne to a same sex couple, are they acting illegally in giving one bottle to a married couple?

It's a mistake for me to take your question seriously, but I think they are acting immorally, not illegally. Their problem would be if they have a heterosexual couple who are not married - would they give them two bottles? If they don't I think that would be discrimination.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next Christmas. B/F and I are going for our honeymoon - we've booked a honeymoon package - Cunard know that we will be in a legal partnership - Will we still get two bottles (in addition to the one that's part of the package), two presents, etc?

My (now) wife and I took our first trip together on a transatlantic in 2004 - the outward one when the return was the tandem crossing.

We had one bottle only.

When we returned, as a married couple, we had one bottle only.

You're right - it will be interesting to see what they do in December!

My (now) wife and I took our first trip together on a transatlantic in 2004 - the outward one when the return was the tandem crossing.

We had one bottle only.

When we returned, as a married couple, we had one bottle only.

You're right - it will be interesting to see what they do in December!

I had always assumed that room service delivered the bottles. They saw that it was a booking with two different surnames in the cabin and therefore left two bottles. When you and your partner did your first trip am I correct in assuming that you weren't married? (You crossed in sin! Cunard were probably so shocked that they forgot the second bottle!:D )

My guess it that in December we'll get two bottles because they won't think otherwise.

You aren't a gay couple - you're each a gay couple! Are you a candidate to be thrown overboard at an art auction?

That explains the extra weight then. I've been eating for two! <G>

As for being thrown overboard, I think most constituents would agree I am a condidate for being thrown overboard with or without tacky art!

Geee, the mystery is solved! I am a gay couple! Cool!

Karie, who thinks those with big egos are never at a loss for abiding love..After all, they always have themselves!

(Hmm,I am a gay couple! Wow! <G>)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from QE2. Thanks for the Bon Voyage messages. We had great time on the cruise. The service throughout the ship and food in the restaurant was excellent. We much preferred the Britannia Grill to the Queens Grill (our last cruise). Our cabin 3075 was roomy, cosy, relatively stable, conveniently located and had acres of storage space. Unfortunately our bathroom was the old fashioned type. The entertainment was to the usual Cunard standard. We had seen several of the shows and acts before. I did not realise the Grumble Weeds were still going. We played a lot of shuffleboard during the day and spent most of the evening at dinner.

There were a few problems on the ship probably due to the refit. On the first night the air conditioning just pumped out cold air and everybody was frozen. Some people found the air conditioning sent out soot in their cabins. All these problems were rectified by the end of the first full day.

The water both hot and cold was brown and contained particles of what I assumed was rust. This cleared up about halfway through the cruise. Apparently QE2 was not able to produce her own water. At every port we took on water. The anchor port of Cannes was dropped from the cruise in favour of Marseille where we could dock and take on water. Our table companions told me that on the last full day water was unavailable for a time in some passenger cabins. They found this out when they went to report that their toilet that would not flush. Leaking water from the ceilings was a constant problem. Buckets became a common sight in corridors and public rooms. Engineers worked hard to fix the leaks but they seemed to reappear a few days later. The aerobic studio in the gym was out of action for several days while they dried out the carpet after a leak.

Many of the renovated public toilets were not finished. They said out of order but if you looked inside they were unfinished. The crew worked hard to bring these in to service as the cruise progressed.

Some of the hull painting had not been completed. The fore deck looked a mess at the start of the cruise. In other places there were patches that had obviously been missed. Again the crew finished this work as the cruise progressed.

I must say some of the public rooms that had new carpets or seat coverings looked very good. The Crystal Bar, Yacht Club and Lido (not that we eat there and why would anybody?) looked much better than on our last cruise.

We had a celebrity passenger aboard, Sir Jimmy Saville. He spent his days walking boat deck dressed in sports clothing. He would often come up to your deck chair to say hello and make a (the same) joke. He certainly did not hide himself away. Funnily he was mentioned in the newspaper that gets satellited to the ship and pushed under the cabin door. He has been voted one of the unsexiest pensioners in the UK.

On the important matter of free bottles of sparkling wine. As a heterosexual, gold Cunarders, unmarried couple in a P grade cabin we received one half bottle on embarkation. A couple of days later we received two full bottles courtesy of the World Club. Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. Warren Smith was the Cruise Director. I liked his style, it seemed entirely appropriate for Cunard and QE2. Also I never once heard him solicit for good marks on the questionnaires.

Just back from QE2.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. Thanks for telling us about the effects of the refit.

We much preferred the Britannia Grill to the Queens Grill (our last cruise).

I'm interested - we preferred the Princess Grill to the Britannia. It's a long time since I was in the Queens Grill (at least 10 years!) - but when we were there we thought that the food in QG was of a higher standard than either PG or BG.

The entertainment was to the usual Cunard standard.

Poor:D

There were a few problems on the ship probably due to the refit.

Was everything fixed by the time you left? More importantly are they compensating you for the problems:rolleyes:

On the important matter of free bottles of sparkling wine. As a heterosexual, gold Cunarders, unmarried couple in a P grade cabin we received one half bottle on embarkation. A couple of days later we received two full bottles courtesy of the World Club. Hope this helps.

Last Christmas we were a homosexual, platinum Cunarders, unmarried couple in a P grade cabin. We received two bottles courtesy of the WC on embarkation and then nothing else (in liquid form) for the rest of the cruise. I suspect that the answer is "typical Cunard"!:rolleyes:

Just back from QE2. .... We had great time on the cruise............

There were a few problems on the ship probably due to the refit. On the first night the air conditioning just pumped out cold air and everybody was frozen. Some people found the air conditioning sent out soot in their cabins. All these problems were rectified by the end of the first full day.

The water both hot and cold was brown and contained particles of what I assumed was rust. This cleared up about halfway through the cruise. Apparently QE2 was not able to produce her own water. ..... The anchor port of Cannes was dropped from the cruise in favour of Marseille where we could dock and take on water. ...... on the last full day water was unavailable for a time in some passenger cabins. ....... Leaking water from the ceilings was a constant problem. Buckets became a common sight in corridors and public rooms. Engineers worked hard to fix the leaks but they seemed to reappear a few days later. The aerobic studio in the gym was out of action for several days while they dried out the carpet after a leak.

Many of the renovated public toilets were not finished. They said out of order but if you looked inside they were unfinished. The crew worked hard to bring these in to service as the cruise progressed.

Some of the hull painting had not been completed........ Again the crew finished this work as the cruise progressed.

I must say some of the public rooms that had new carpets or seat coverings looked very good. The Crystal Bar, Yacht Club and Lido (not that we eat there and why would anybody?) looked much better than on our last cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. Warren Smith was the Cruise Director. I liked his style, it seemed entirely appropriate for Cunard and QE2. Also I never once heard him solicit for good marks on the questionnaires.

Well Stephen you certainly are a master of understatement. If something like this happened on QM2, passengers would be demanding their full cruise fare back PLUS compensation - funny old world isn't it????

Glad you had a good time inspite of the 'few problems' - at least the new carpets look good and the CD didn't ask for good marks (well, he couldn't very well could he???).

Ken

Hi Stephen,

Glad that you have returned safely and enjopyed the cruise!!!

The entertainment was to the usual Cunard standard. We had seen several of the shows and acts before. I did not realise the Grumble Weeds were still going.

Wasnt the Grumble weeds the ringleaders for compensation on the QM2 rio trip... ouch !!!

Did happen to notice that in refit on the webcam there did seem to be a bit of a mess on the fore deck , thought one day l saw flames .

Hope all the unfinished bits didnt leave you too traumatised;) and only added to the enjoyment of a super cruise

Counting the days till lm onboard

Cheers,

Myles

I had always assumed that room service delivered the bottles. They saw that it was a booking with two different surnames in the cabin and therefore left two bottles. When you and your partner did your first trip am I correct in assuming that you weren't married? (You crossed in sin! Cunard were probably so shocked that they forgot the second bottle!:D )

My guess it that in December we'll get two bottles because they won't think otherwise.

So we're going on a 'honeymoon package' an upgrade from Cunard to celebrate our civil partnership. Presumably, despite the different names, we should only expect one bottle of champagne on arrival!?

Stephen,

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable cruise in the main & sorry to hear about all the a/c & plumbing problems!! I am surprised to hear they did not upgrade the bathroom in your cabin!!

I was also interested to hear you thought the B Grill Rest better than QG - were there many items on the a la carte menu in the Britannia Grill and could you order off menu? I will be in the Princess Grill Rest in Sep on QE2 and usually travel in the QG Restaurant so would be interested in hearing your comments - if at all possible it would be great to see some sample menus?

Have they refurbished the indoor pool at all and or the cabins themselves?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

So we're going on a 'honeymoon package' an upgrade from Cunard to celebrate our civil partnership. Presumably, despite the different names, we should only expect one bottle of champagne on arrival!?

I would think that you only get one bottle of Champagne from their honeymoon package (although experience of Cunard says that they might think two names = two bottles). If you're in Grill Class accommodation then you'll also get something on arrival. It used to be Champagne, then it went to sparkling wine, now the brochure says Champagne for Queens Grill and just wine for Princess.

The idea of people going for Civil Partnership honeymoons is new to Cunard - I think that they'll take a while to work out exactly what they want to do. Full marks to Cunard for giving Civil Partnerships the same rights as a heterosexual wedding.

It's a gift

Is it? I think of it more a a bribe - Cunard want us to spend our hard earned pounds with them, rather than a holiday somewhere else. It is a bribe that's worked though:rolleyes:

A friend has owned for many years a family resort in the Virgin Islands. Last year in their annual "spruce up" they decided to put 4 cup coffee pots in the rooms, as they all have little kitchenettes with a fridge. So, they put in the mini coffee pot and guests asked "Where is the stuff to make the coffee?" So they decided to add a start up kit for the first night with a little note, "Enjoy your first morning's cup of coffee with our compliments in the new coffee pots we added for your convenience. If you need more, it is available in the coffee shop for a nominal fee." Well, you guessed it, some of the guests complained they now had to buy their coffee fixings (mostly repeat guests I might add who for years have not had a coffee pot in their room). And all this began because the owners were giving something as a gift. Some people always want more, always want to know what someone else got, always want more. So whatever spirits you get in your stateroom is a "gift" from Cunard and like everything else, things change constantly, so if you get a gift from Cunard, great, if you get 2 gifts, great, if you don't get a gift - well - you didn't get a gift.

I'm with you on the coffee - It's human nature to want more. If you don't offer something then you can avoid the questions of what next? However if you do offer something as part of the contract (for example the honeymoon Champagne) then it is a service that you must provide.

Things provided as "gifts" (like the World Club wine) are done to encourage you to come back. They are gifts, but they are also bribes.

A 'package' as advertised in a brochure should contain the elements offered. It is a gift, in that the net cost to the recipient(s) is nil. And my remark about the champagne was tongue in cheek; we will be delighted with a (single) bottle of champagne.

But I agree, it is a marketing ploy to encourage future bookings. Brand loyalty is becoming an increasingly rare commodity. The cost of the 'free' upgrades will have been covered across the board one way or another, I'm sure.

Archived