Southampton

tcad1

We were on the crossing this past January. As we left Southampton a band was playing on the pier. We did not recognize one of the last numbers that they played and asked around about it. One fellow passenger said that it was called "Sail Away". Does anyone know anything about this piece: composer, date of composition, etc?

Don't know just what the piece was but suspect that it could have been "Sailing By"

There were many complaints last year when this piece was dropped from BBC Radio 4.

It used to be played at the end of transmission each day before the weather forcast, which was followed by the National Anthem.

You need to understand that some British radio stations are quite unlike American ones, and some folk get great pleasure listening to the shipping forcast each day, even though they have never been to sea in their lives.

Any way now it's gone after 30 odd years and it is good to hear that it was being played in Portsmouth.

Do a search for it for more detail.

David.

Don't know just what the piece was but suspect that it could have been "Sailing By"

There were many complaints last year when this piece was dropped from BBC Radio 4.

It used to be played at the end of transmission each day before the weather forcast, which was followed by the National Anthem.

David.

I think (and will listen tonight at 23.40 to check, but swear it helped me to drift off to sleep last night!) that Sailing By is played each week night. If it turns out that Sailing By has been dropped then I'm playing it each night on the radio in my head!

What was stopped THIS year was the UK theme played each morning at 05.20.

Pepper.

If you want to hear "Sailing By" then it's on a single, paired with the UK Theme. I don't like SB, but I love the R4 Theme:o

I think (and will listen tonight at 23.40 to check, but swear it helped me to drift off to sleep last night!) that Sailing By is played each week night. If it turns out that Sailing By has been dropped then I'm playing it each night on the radio in my head!

Pepper.

I am listening now to Sailing By on BBC Radio 4. it's 00.46. As anyone who has heard it will testify, you can't hear it without thinking of ships, boats and sailing.. by!

Pepper. (who loves the music!)

Is this the song you are talking about? Page down and click on the "Listen" link to the eighth sample song ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000149J/sr=1-5/qid=1147307317/ref=sr_1_5/102-9287119-9042512?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Paul

That's the tune or the shipping forecast. Isn't it dreadful - imagine hearing that night after night!

That's the tune or the shipping forecast. Isn't it dreadful - imagine hearing that night after night!

Whilst not my favorite piece of music (can't see myself sitting down to listen to it!) it is a tune that I've grown to like over the years, corny tho it is.

Pepper.

It may have been an old Rod Stewart tune called 'Sailing'. It is frequently used by shore side bands when cruise liners cast off. It was used as incidental music for a BBC series on the Royal Navy about 10 years ago and became very popular in its instrumental form.

Just goes to show that everyone has their own tastes:)

I was going to explain why I've grown to like it and the memories it evokes but I thought that would be way off topic on a cruise board so after writing I deleted.

And I agree, everyone has their own tastes, some like "art" auctions. And some like dressing up in cabin made hats and then going out where we can see them.

Pepper.

Archived