Ben Lyons article in Frommers

guernseyguy

Peter,

Thanks for the article on Ben Lyons. We met him when my Cunard house flag was flown over QM2 back in Nov. 2004. He was an interesting person to talk with. He told us alot of what was in the article. He gave me back my flag after they had flown it and gave my wife, niece, and myself a tour of the bridge. He deserves all he gets. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. I hope to see him again next year on our transatlantic.

Ed

Peter and Patrick,

Thank you for these links. Very interesting profile, and I wish I had seen this before the crossing; I would have been interested in meeting Mr. Lyons. A number of us can no doubt identify with an inbred fascination of ships.

Equally interesting was the real estate situation in New York. It is surprising Mr. Lyons is so intent on owning space in such an expensive area when he is at sea most of the year. I took note that he settled on a place closer to the Manhattan West Piers instead of Brooklyn. Maybe ... just maybe he knows the QM2 is returning there some day?

Paul

I took note that he settled on a place closer to the Manhattan West Piers instead of Brooklyn. Maybe ... just maybe he knows the QM2 is returning there some day?

I wouldn't count on it.

My guess is that Ben chose his apartment based on where he wants to live, not where QM2 berths, or will berth.

Keep in mind that while ship's officers and crew spend most of their time at sea, when they are at home, it's often for a few months at a time... So where they live on land is important.

Archived