Fly By Night Comedy Club in Anchorage

pookeycat

We've taken our parents and our daughter to the show, also have been with a convention group and everyone has enjoyed it. I don't know if you'll find anything quite like it anywhere else! I'd give it a definite thumbs up.

• 3 weeks later...

We lived in Anchorage for 5 years and the Fly by Night is a lot of fun. Most tourists don't know about it, they really don't need to advertise as it is a very popular place with Alaskans. Have fun on your cruise!

Pat

Went to their web page and this is what I found about minors -

MINORS: The Fly By Night Club is a Bar, and Alaska has very specific liquor laws regarding people under 21. Persons under 21 can ONLY be admitted if they are accompanied by a PARENT. There are NO EXCEPTIONS under the law for grandparents, aunts & uncles, brothers & sisters, foreign exchange students, or other adults. In addition, all minors need to be 16 or older to be admitted.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The Fly-By-Night-Club shows are very popular here. It surprises me to see how much the visitors enjoy it. A fellow with the alias “Mr. Whitekeys” is the promoter and the lead entertainer. He brings out the humor in much of our every day Alaska happenings, which gives one an opportunity to look at the lighter side and appreciate issues from a different perspective. A lot of the stuff is normally stressful and subject to argument. No politician, business or public personality is exempt. Even those whom are the butt of a joke usually roar with laugher. It is good for Alaskans’ psyche to have something like this to enjoy. True, some of the stuff can be pretty risqué. Back when my kids were young I’m not certain if I would have let them go. Now that they have kids I think I’ll check out their opinion. It is amazing what this guy picks up in his travels around the state. As a for instance, some time ago Whitekeys noticed a small bar and Inn on the highway about half way between Nenana and Fairbanks, which he has had a field day with. It is owned by a guy named Dick. The name of the lodge was “Skinny Dick’s” (halfway in).

Susan in Anchorage - thank you so much for the info - since he is only 15 we just have to miss it; this is our 4th Alaska cruise and we still find plenty of new, interesting and fun things each time - I am sure this will be no exception

MamaQuack

Normally, in Alaska, a minor between 16 and 21 can be in a AS 04.16.049 licensed premises up to 10:00 P.M. and a minor 16 and under must have the consent of parent or guardian. Apparently, the Fly by Night Club doesn't meet Alaska Statute 04.16.049 as a "resturant". Here are the rules:

9.04.040 Access to person under the age of twenty-one to

licensed premises.

A. A person under the age of twenty-one

(21) years may not enter or remain in a licensed premises

unless:

1. Accompanied by a parent, guardian, or spouse who

has attained the age of twenty-one years; or,

2. The person is at least sixteen (16) years of age,

the premises are designated by the Alcohol Beverage Control

(ABC) board as a restaurant for purposes of AS 04.16.049, and

the person enters the premises and remains only for dining; or,

3. The person is under the age of sixteen (16) years,

is accompanied by a person over the age of twenty-one (21)

years, the parent or guardian of the underage person consents,

the premises are designated by the ABC board as a restaurant for

purposes of AS 04.16.049, and the person enters and remains only

for dining.

B. Notwithstanding subsection (A), a person under the age

of twenty-one (21) years must be off the licensed premises by

ten p.m.

Nancyquilts----The way I understand it, Whitekeys stopped by one time when it was simply "Skinny Dick's" or something like that. It was his humorous and prurient observation that connected the name with the location. After that, Whitekeys began exclaiming to all at his shows this uniquely titled enterprise. I believe that, after he gave them so much wide spread notoriety, they officially changed the name to what it is now, "Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn".

Archived