A tip for Roatan...an excursion you will love...

Sometimes the VERY best excursions have nothing to do with the ships as my new husband and I found out last May.

We stopped at Honduras on Carnivals Valor. Although it didn't look like much of a stop...(high fences...unfriendly looking folks at the gate)..etc. We exited with caution but embarked on the absolute most wonderful day ever!

The Sante Wellness Centre was a place I had read about on our very own Cruise Critic site last year. It was not affiliated with the ship in any way (which made it all the better to me). We were picked up at the pier by a cab driver that was waiting for us. We drove a good 30 minutes thru some really poor areas (very sad areas to be exact) before reaching a small dock where a boat was awaiting us. The only way to the Wellness Centre was via boat. We boarded the small boat (there was one other couple from the ship with us) and went a short distance to the most lovely island retreat...it was stunning. The couple that ran this place (which also served as their home) were wonderful. Angela and her husband were wonderful people. We had this huge place all to ourselves. (the four of us that is..) We had a wonderful fresh breakfast out on a verandah overlooking the ocean...birds chirping...the sound of the water. There is a plunge pool to enjoy...you can snorkle...or kayak....or just take in the view. Later on...we had a massage amd a mud wrap. This was absolutely the most awesome massage I've ever experienced and my hubby said the same. I felt like a noodle when we were done. We probably spent about 4-5 hours there and it was fabulous! I think our total for the day (including transportion) was around $240 and oh my gosh was it worth it!

I now feel that looking for excursions on my own is the way to go. I have experienced the ones affiliated by cruise ships...and this one surpassed anything I've ever experienced before.

http://www.santewellnesscenter.com/index.html

Esmerelda

Archived