Jury's Inn-Southampton

tabascored

Has anyone had experience with the Jury's Inn? We have a room booked for a few days in August before our TA. I've heard recommendations to stay at the Hilton, but thats it. Is the Jury's an OK hotel?

Thanks for input.

Sue

I've stayed at the Jury's Inn in Leeds, and it was excellent value for the money. I make a point of staying there every time I have to go to Leeds on business. The restaurant doesn't do a very good job with dinner, but breakfast is fine. Could be the chef, I suppose!

According to TripAdvisor, past guests at the Southampton Jury's Inn are pretty pleased. I use TripAdvisor frequently to check out unknown hotels, and find their user reviews to be trustworthy.

Sorry I can't give a first-hand opinion on the Southampton Jury's, but based on my experience in Leeds, I would give it a try.

Good luck

Lisa

I've heard recommendations to stay at the Hilton

Hi sue - it's a long time since I've stayed at the Hilton (about 15 years!) so I can't comment on what it's like now. The one overriding memory is though that it is a long way out - if you were to stay there then you'd be stuck in the hotel until it was time to leave.

Sue, we have answered questions for each other before, we are sailing at the end of the August. I will ask my friend, who lives in Southampton about Jury's Inn. Maybe she can give me a recommendation of a hotel in Southampton. Will get back to you when I get an answer from Cheryl.

Christy

Hey Christy,

Good to hear from you again. Counting the days??

I have already booked Jury's Inn earlier this year. I picked it for the location and also the price. We don't expect to spend much time in the room having rented a car at Heathrow. We plan to do some exploring of England's coast.

Lisa (responding to post) directed me to Tripadvisor. Mixed reviews, just like the threads on this board. We're not picky about the decor, just want it clean with a decent shower.

I do appreciate you inquiring about the hotel through your friend. Any information is helpful. Perhaps Cheryl can recommend a good pub. Somewhere the locals go. Those places always seem to be the best.

Take care and best regards,

Sue

Sue, just received an e-mail back from my friend, Cheryl, who lives in Southampton.

She recommends:

DeVere Grand Harbour, 5 star

Holiday Inn, (not Holiday Inn Express)

Novotel

IBIS

Jury's Inn

Hilton is way out of town

In town, smaller hotels in High Street:

Star Hotel and The Dolphin

Hope this helps, Christy

I stayed there this past January and thought it was just fine, especially for the price. I'll agree that the food wasn't great. My room was large, clean and kind of institutional, but it met all needs. When I was there the crew of one of the Saga ships was staying there, so the pub was busy and fun. The park right near by there has a Titanic memorial and I walked to the shopping mall from there (about 20mins, but I'm a fast walker) and found a really good Indian restaurant on the way, though I can't remember the name of it.

My work takes me to Southampton quite a bit and I now always stay a Jury's.

It offers not bad value for money, the food is a bit expensive (like in most hotels) but you are right in the middle of the city so there are plenty of restaurants (some all right, some not) in every direction, try London Road & Bedford Place two blocks away. For better food, head up to the other end of town to Oxford Street. The railway station is within walking distance and it is close to one of the city car parks that have free parking overnight (that may change of course).

Some people prefer to stay down at the Oxford Street end of town. This is further away from the shops but has better quality restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed overnight at Jurys Inn Southampton on May 8, 2006 before embarking on the May 9 QE2 cruise. The staff was so friendly we thought they were some kind of aliens. The room was nice but unremarkable. They called us a cab to get to the docks, which was about a 10-minute drive. Lots of business people seemed to meet there. The immediate vicinity isn't very lovely (although there's a nice park across the street -- if you can get across the street! -- but nearby are several restaurants within 5 blocks. Construction going on next to the hotel. We ate in the hotel restaurant/bar. Again, not exciting but adequate, clean and friendly.

I'd easily stay again for the location -- near the bus and train stations, and near the docks -- and for the friendly service and clean accomodations. I think it was a remarkable value for our purpose -- a place to get over jet lag for a night and then move on to the ship.

- Richard

Archived