pompeii and sorrento, in what order??

When we stop at Naples we would like to go to Pompeii and Sorrento but I'm not sure which way round to do it. I've got train timetables and stuff but not sure what is the best thing to do. Help from you seasoned cruises would be very welcome!

Hmmm, you might want to go to Capri, or Herculeum closer to Naples but with the museum from Pompei. All the good stuff displays etc are in that museum, not at Pompei. We visited a few years ago, and went to Pompei spent half the day there and then enjoyed Capri that afternoon nothing prettier than Capri. Just a suggestion. You can spend a whole day in Pompei or Sorrento.... I'm sure this didn't help, but we didn't have time to see Sorrento also, we were daytripping from Rome. Anyway you do it, it will be fun and it's so beautiful in Italy, the people are wonderful. Enjoy your trip!:)

I don't know if this will help or not. I'll be in Naples in a couple of weeks and after thinking about it, this is our game plan. We are going to take, hopefully, the first hydrofoil from the dock to Sorrento, tour around there for a few hours, early lunch, then train from Sorrento to Pompei. I know from research that many shops will close after lunch and it seemed to make sense to do a circle in that direction. The down side will be that it will be hotter in Pompei later in the day but we want to make sure that Sorrento is open while we're there. Also, on the chance that we have any extra time, we can stop at Herculean or in Naples to see the museum there on the way back to the ship. If we only make Sorrento and Pompei that is great too. We leave on the May 28th sailing of the Jewel and I'll be sure to post comments how this plan went once we return.

Why not take the train to Sorrento to start with--station is right across from the pier? We're planning on doing that, then train back to Pompeii, then train back to Naples and explore.

Why not take the train to Sorrento to start with--station is right across from the pier? We're planning on doing that, then train back to Pompeii, then train back to Naples and explore.

Hi gsb!

We just want to see and do something different. The scenery will be the same going to/from Sorrento by train and the idea of taking the hydrofoil, which will be quicker, seems like fun.

Go to Pompeii first. It is very hot there, and you do not want to be there in the afternoon. Also, very little when it comes to eating. Sorrento, on the other hand, is a great place to enjoy a leisurely lunch and stroll about the city.

Hi gsb!

We just want to see and do something different. The scenery will be the same going to/from Sorrento by train and the idea of taking the hydrofoil, which will be quicker, seems like fun.

Hi GP--Sounds like a good idea--especially if it's hot. I assume the hydofoil is close to the dock?

On the other hand, I always like to go to the fartherest point first, then work my way back. If it starts getting late, I want to be as close to the ship as possible...(that way I guess I can get a good look at her as she sails away:eek: )

Hi GP--Sounds like a good idea--especially if it's hot. I assume the hydofoil is close to the dock?

Another poster has said that the hydrofoil leaves very close to where the ship docks. Evidently, easy walk. The good news is that there isn't a right or wrong answer to getting to both places. As with any part of travel, it's personal wants/needs.

GP; We are pondering the same question but we are leaning toward Pompeii, by train, first due to temps in July and on to Sorrento via train to have lunch etc. and enjoy the hydrofoil and the cooler air on the trip back to the port. For us Naples is the first port and I anticipate plenty of opportunities to shop elsewhere if some/all stores are closed. Regards, DMaugle

There's two ways to thing about this. I think generally private tours try to get you to Pompeii first and then to the Amalfi Coast. However, because we left it late to organize a private tour guide, our driver had to organize for the afternoon. This suited my sister as Pompeii was closer to the port so if there were any delays we knew we were a lot closer to the port at that point.

However, we were there in September so it wasn't too hot. I would think on a hot day you would definitely want to do it in the morning as there's no shade so it might become unbearable by afternoon.

Frances

Do take into consideration that they suspend the service of hydrofoils when the winds are high. Just one more thing to consider. Oh, and Pompeii in July is REALLY hot! We've been twice in July. Last time I brought a mister for our son.

You need to go to Pompeii first. It is extraordinary. We enjoyed it more than Herculaneum, but it was HOT!! We were there in the beginning of June. On a July afternoon I think it would be unbearable. The Amalfi Coast is stunning and Capri is lovely. Take your pick. Be sure to enjoy some Limoncello and gelatto while you are in the area. Having done both a private tour is the best.

Linda

You need to go to Pompeii first. It is extraordinary. We enjoyed it more than Herculaneum, but it was HOT!! We were there in the beginning of June. On a July afternoon I think it would be unbearable. The Amalfi Coast is stunning and Capri is lovely. Take your pick. Be sure to enjoy some Limoncello and gelatto while you are in the area. Having done both a private tour is the best.

Linda

We will be there the first week of October and are hiring a driver. He suggested Capri first then Pompeii. Don't think the heat will be a problem. Hate to miss the Amalfi Coast. What were your highlights?

Quite honestly..if you are short on time, why not have an expert show you. We used nello from drive sorrrento and he is quite an expert and he took use where we wanted to go in a timely manner and we aere able to see everything we wanted to without worying about missing a train or a boat.You can reach him at info@drivesorrento

karen

We are looking for a easy, reliable way to get to Sorrento and Pompeii. We have never been to Italy before, so we aren't sure about the hydrofoils of buses.

Any suggestions? We are going to be in the area on July 6.

Archived