Carnival or Princess?

Modawg1991

I am looking at next October (2007) for a 7-day cruise with my DW, and two DD ages 7 and 3 next year. I am a Carnival fan and I am going again on Carnival this October (2006). I have narrowed it down to Carnival Glory or Caribbean Princess. The difference is Glory is a Western Carrib and Princess is Eastern. We will have been on two Western Carribs by the time next October rolls around and was looking at an Eastern. These two are within driving distance and Miami is a little two far for the two girls. (and I HATE flying). Prices and upgrades are almost the same (we will get a $150 on board credit with Princess).

If you are wondering, we have a fall school break the first week of October that limits our dates.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I'm a fan of all cruise lines. I just did Carribbean Princess in March and LOVED it. I went with my mother and we kept saying "Where are all of the people?" For such a huge ship, it NEVER seemed crowded. (Except you needed to get to the early show at least 30 minutes early if you expected a seat.) The buffet is by far the best I have experienced. There was lobster and/or king crab what seemed like almost every night. MMMMmmmm...... And we loved the choice of when and with whom to dine each night. We had an inside cabin and we both thought it was the best laid out floorplan of any ship we've been on. Also loved the outdoor movietheater.That said, I'm cruising on Inspiration next week. I love them all.

I am looking at next October (2007) for a 7-day cruise with my DW, and two DD ages 7 and 3 next year. I am a Carnival fan and I am going again on Carnival this October (2006). I have narrowed it down to Carnival Glory or Caribbean Princess. The difference is Glory is a Western Carrib and Princess is Eastern. We will have been on two Western Carribs by the time next October rolls around and was looking at an Eastern. These two are within driving distance and Miami is a little two far for the two girls. (and I HATE flying). Prices and upgrades are almost the same (we will get a $150 on board credit with Princess).

If you are wondering, we have a fall school break the first week of October that limits our dates.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

While I have never sailed on Princess, I plan to one day. I don't believe you will go wrong either way. You know what Carnival offers. If Princess is the route you want, I would go for it.

Since you've not done a Princess and you are doing Carnival this year I would go for Princess for the change in atmosphere. I'm sure you'll find many things about Princess you will love and still go back to Carnival for things Princess does not have but you love on Carnival. I would say the 2 ships are pretty similar so what you are really narrowing down is the East vs. West. Again I would go to the one you have not been to recently. I hope you have not ruled out other lines like Celebrity and HAL or even NCL. They should have one going East or West the same week from that area.

The Caribbean Princess is one of our favorite ships and loved the Eastern itinerary. She's elegant yet in an understated way, has much to offer both adults and kids, and we love the Anytime Dining. No need to rush around to get ready for dinner at the same time every night.

Thanks for your replies . . . I just think I needed some confirmations before I went with another cruise line. Kinda' felt loyal to Carnival.

I am sailing on the Inspiration for the second time this fall. I love the ship and the staff is outstanding. Just wish we had more time in Cayman. I can tell you more of my last trip on the Inspiration if you want.

I will try other lines as well when the girls get a little older. Camp Carnival looks like a great fit right now for my 2 year old. This will be her first cruise.

Thanks again.

I've sailed on both with older children. I enjoyed both lines. Of course, it's a cruise - it's got to be good. Here's my opinion on both

Carnival:

1. Better pizza according to my 16 yo DS. I liked the pizza on both lines.

2. Free ice cream 24 hours. Princess has it on the buffet at certain times of the day. You can purchase ice cream on Princess.

3. Larger cabins for the standard cabins. I can't say about the suites. We had a balcony cabin on both.

4. Towel animals - your children will love them. We adults love them too. My 60ish mother couldn't wait to see what animal we got each evening. I bought her the book so she can do her own animals.

5. Your children may enjoy Funship Freddie.

6. Salt water pools but cool slides.

Princess:

1. Loved the movies under the stars! Your children may enjoy it. It's the closest thing you can get to a drive-in movie theater on the ocean.

2. I liked the way the cabin door to the balcony operated. Sliding door rather than opening like a regular door. No fingers slammed in the door like the near misses we've had with Carnival's cabin doors.

3. No towel animals.

4. A little less partying.

5. Fresh water swimming pools. No slides

Both lines are terrific. The food is good on both. The shows are amazing.

The anytime dining on Princess is the best if you have a small group (4 or less). On the Princess cruise it was just my son and me. We loved meeting with different people at dinner. Never did we wait on a table. However if you have a larger group, you may need to wait. Friends we met on board had 7 in their party. Several evenings they waited 30 minutes or longer. Traditional dining is a better way to go with a large group.

Your children will enjoy either cruiseline. I believe the younger children really enjoy the camp activities. With the older children, it's hit or miss. My son enjoyed the teen activities on Princess much more. He said Carnival's teen program was "lame". Of course it depends upon the other kids on board.

Archived