Confused Limey again - Pantryman, Bathroom Boy, Piccolo

Kindlychap

What do these terms mean?

I'm sure I'll recognise the jobs - but I'm only able to guess.

Pantryman - back stage in the galley?

Bathroom boy - the young lads who are always up and down the corridor but not in a normal steward uniform - given the name presumably mainly clean bathrooms?

Piccolo has me stumped. There isn't a piccolo in the QE2 orchestra.....

We have a Car Park at Bradley airport in CT called Piccolo's.

Maybe this is the one who parks all the laundry and food car(t)s on the ship!

The first thought that came to mind was the similarity to the term "gigolo".

But they call those "gentlemen hosts!"

Karie,

Who is totally clueless on this one. Though she will attempt to google it or net-dictionary it momentarily!

I've already checked Google - all it can suggest is either "a small flute" or"a fictional character from the Animes Dragon Ball"! Where does this term come from? Have you ever heard it used on-board? KC - where did you hear it?

I heard all three terms on this very board, in reference to stewards sometimes giving these grades of staff money given that they had no tips of their own.

If I'm right on "bathroom boys" then I'm surprised to hear they get nothing from tips - if indeed that is the case.

Not to bring this forward agin, but I chanced upon a refence to this tonight, complete with definition.

And it came from a posting on this very list!

Someone here, I'm sorry, I don't remember who, or the circumstance, posted a reference or had a link in their sig line. I've had my computer on for a week because I didn't have time to read it, but didn't want to lose or forget about it. I often do that these days!

Anyway, http://www.oceanliner.org/johnson.htm

This is a 1st persn story of the sinking of the Andrea Doria.

In it, the narrator tells of being reassigned (on the Stockholm) to the position of Piccolo!

" Early in the morning of the next day, we were again assured by our captain and his officers that Stockholm could remain afloat. I had to pursue my duties as the "Glass Dish Washer" on board Stockholm. To my happy astonishment, I soon discovered that most of the glasses had been broken in the force of the collision. I was then assigned the role with the interesting title of "Piccolo," general messenger factotum, called upon to do many tasks all over the ship. Such a role allowed me the time to visit my family, not clandestinely as I had feared earlier, because the distinction between crew member and passenger had long since disappeared. It also gave me the mobility to wander all over the ship, to inspect at first hand all of the devastation and wreckage from the collision, and to participate with several other crew members in the discovery of a little child, Linda Morgan, who had miraculously been lifted alive from her cabin on the Andrea Doria into the wreckage of the Stockholm. I was also able to see the ignominious end of Andrea Doria as she sank, first listing badly to the starboard side and then rolling over and out of sight with a mighty roar and roiling of water."

Very interesting and short tale.

Do take a look!

Karie,

who has played the piccolo once or twice- enough to make a pretty sound, but that's all!

"Piccolo," general messenger factotum, called upon to do many tasks all over the ship.

LOL ... on land we call them "go fers." :)

I love the one about the gentleman hosts too. That's exactly what my dad called them, after I told him what their function is ... gigilos. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived