MS AMADAGIO-Amadeus Waterways

wishfulcruiser

Hi J, I have a few questions for you since we are on the Amadeus Blue Danube. What time did you leave Budapest? Did you get to see the Danube Bend? Did you cruise the Danube Gorge? If so, when did this occur? Thanks so much for all your help. Marlyne

Hi Marlyne

We left Budapest after dinner, it was dark so we got a spectacular river view of the illuminated buildings along the river, the Parliament building was especially beautiful. Going under all of the bridges was fun too.

We cruised through the Wachau Valley which is in Austria and was the most beautiful part of the cruise. We did not go thru the Danube Gorge, it is the other way on the river,toward the Black Sea.

J

The Abby in Melk was fantastic, the views from the outside verandas(I don't know what they are really called) were beautiful, it was one of the few times that the sun came out just as we came outside of the doors onto this breathtaking view.

We were offered a wine tasting at the Abby too, it was fun, wine, music and a song or two.

Favorite day, (morning) was at Durnstein, we walked into town without the tour group and just poked around in little shops we toured the monastic parish church on our own (must buy a ticket) and then ambled back to the boat.

J

Sun came out for us too - we must have been within 15 minutes of each other on that tour of the Abbey. We weren't offered the wine and song, though. I was just glad to get back up all those steps without it pouring!

And I loved Durnstein too - got my "trip T-shirt" there - no one will have ever heard of the town, but it was my favorite also. Got my granddaughters' dolls there and never saw such cute ones again. These were also music boxes that played Edelweiss!

We probably passed each other many times!

• 2 weeks later...

I did post this message to a similar thread but I'll tell you anyway. We were parked next to the Amadagio in Amsterdam earlier this week. The ship is beautiful, first class. Some friends went aboard and said it looked great. We could see the dining room with nice linens and the lounge with very comfy looking chairs. It was pretty elegant!

We are planning to go on Amadagio in 2007. You recommended front instead of rear for rooms because of noise. Also, what advantage is there to 3 floor as opposed to 2 floor. I assumed you were on 3 floor for your trip. Thanks.

Hi,

After being aboard the Amadagio it seems that the 2nd floor rooms are the same as the 3rd floor. At the time we booked we thought the 3rd floor might be the best but after talking to other passengers they did not notice any noise from the room above and the rooms on both floors all had the french balconys so....as far as we could tell they were the same.

I would recomend in the center of the boat or nearer the front if I had a choice.

J

Hi - just getting back to the Boards, the dolls were about 5" high. I started our two granddaughters with dolls about 5 trips ago, and always go for the smaller dolls. They are in Bavarian dress, are music boxes that play Eidelweiss, and were probably about $10 - $15.

The store was at the lower end of the street in Durnstein - I have a receipt with the number 19 Durnstein which may mean something. Anyway, there are so few shops, I'm sure you'll find it.

I'm envious of all of you that still have this trip ahead of you and look forward to your posts afterwards!

Archived