interior/exterior

newby20

hey im planning to book a crossing for june 2007. and money is tight. i was just wondering if on a crossing would an interior cabin be sufficient or does any one think it would be worth upgrading to a balcony or an exterior! i was thinking that all you would see for 6 days is sea. but i dont know. i want this trip to be perfect! it will be my first cruise and i have been following the Queen Mary ii since her inception! any help would be wonderfull.

cheers

niall

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

hey im planning to book a crossing for june 2007. and money is tight. i was just wondering if on a crossing would an interior cabin be sufficient or does any one think it would be worth upgrading to a balcony or an exterior! i was thinking that all you would see for 6 days is sea. but i dont know. i want this trip to be perfect! it will be my first cruise and i have been following the Queen Mary ii since her inception! any help would be wonderfull.

cheers

niall

Book an oceanview or a balcony on the southern side of the ship (port from Southampton, starboard from New York) you'll not regret that private ocean view first thing in the morning. The B grade balcony cabins (on decks 4 5 6) are sheltered on a crossing, the B's on deck 8 and A grade ones can be a liittle windy TA but would be perfect on a hot sunny cruise, also, they are not very private. Imagine being on your first crossing on QM2 and not being able to step onto your own private bit of deck! Or not being able to open the drapes and see the sea from your oceanview cabin. When, after this first time, you book again (you will) then think about an inside, but not the first time. If you are travelling alone, watch out for the single supplement, 200% on inside and higher grade cabins but 175% on B grade ones. IMHO.

thanks a million are u sure u dont work for cunard lol. good sales pitch he he.

im still unsure tho its just money more tahn anything, but from what u have said it DOES seem soooo worth the extra 2 make it special!

any more opinions? also is there any loctaions on the ship that are better i.e mid aft etc?

and does anyone else think that these single supplement are ridiculous. seeing as if i was by myself i wont be eating food 4 too!!!!

god sorry for all the questions!!!!!!!!!!!!

newby,

I strongly recommend outside, at least. Having never experienced a balcony, you won't miss it. But as your first time, you will not want to feel you are sitting in a dark cinema One thing I always have enjoyed was watching out the windows (even if it is only a smal porthole) at the ocean going by. I find it most soothing and relaxing. Almost hypnotic. An inside cabin, you will not be able to tell if it is night or day. Insides are great for people who are not planning on spending any time in them- I.E. Young people who will be out on deck, at the disco, only in the cabin to bathe and sleep. While an insde may be slightly more stable, on the QM2, I believe there is not much difference. The entire ship is stable. She's BUILT for that ocean going stability! Also, if you fear there is any chance of motion sensitivity, everyone will tell you you need horizon if at all possible. You can't do that in a room with no windows! (A compromise might be the ones which overlook the grand staircase,but you have absolutely NO privacy in them with the curtains open!) When your body experiences the gentle rolling of the ocean (Side to side motion) and the pitch of the ship (nose up and down) sometimes what is happening in your inner ear doesn't mesh with what your eyes sense, as they are mvoing right along with the motion. Their surroundings do not appear to be bobbing up and down or side to side. With a horizon, your eyes can square with what the fine hairs or cilia (which move easily inside the ear canal in reaction to tht movement) in your ears feel. Thus there is no dichotomy between the movement your balance center detects and which your visual sense does not detect. Hence, View the horizon and all is right with the world (sort of! YMMV! <G>) If you spend time in your inside cabin, your reaction may be, so what? If you spend time looking out the window in your outsde cabin, even if it is the same "boring" ocean for six nights (with the possibility of dolphins, whales, other ships passing in the shipping lanes, etc) your reaction will be "Oh WOW!" I guarantee it! If I am wrong, I'll buy your first drink on the first cruise we are together on (Hint: I will be on the Labor Day cruise to Nova Scotia)

Karie.

who still remembers the wonderment gazing, for hours at night out the porthole at the green tinged froth of the ship cutting swiftly though the ocean. I booked inside guaranteed, and was so glad they moved me up to an outside. Each successive move up in class has spoiled me form the previous one!

P.S. Have a marvelous time, as I know you will!

hey I'm planning to book a crossing for June 2007. and money is tight. i was just wondering if on a crossing would an interior cabin be sufficient or does any one think it would be worth upgrading to a balcony or an exterior! i was thinking that all you would see for 6 days is sea. but i don't know. i want this trip to be perfect! it will be my first cruise and i have been following the Queen Mary ii since her inception! any help would be wonderful.

cheers

Niall

Niall - I've never been on the QM2 so can't comment on that. I have done a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 in an inside cabin and can advise on that part.

I think that a lot depends on how much time you want to spend in your cabin - If you're only using it to sleep in it will be night anyway so you can't see the view! The QE2 (and I'd assume the QM2) has a camera on the bridge looking forward. This shows on the cabin's TV. I think that this gives you a view at least as good as a small porthole. When you want to see the water there are plenty of open docks. When you sail and when you land you'll want to be on the open decks anyway. Conversely if you want to spend a lot of time in your cabin then a view could be important.

The other thing you need to think about is that your cabin affects where you'll be eating. Not so important on the QM2 as most people eat in the Britannia, there isn't a single seating alternative like the Caronia until you get into Grill Class.

thanks a million are u sure u dont work for cunard lol. good sales pitch he he.

any more opinions? also is there any loctaions on the ship that are better i.e mid aft etc?

Newbe20, glad to help where I can. Locations? Mid ship deck 4 5 6 will be the most stable part of this stable ship if you're prone to seasickness. Conversly, passageways at the ends of the ship will be quieter then midship. More movement at the bow than the stern. I've said already about port v starboard. When you look at cabins, look at what is around you. Avoid cabins with connecting doors. Avoid cabins with me partying next door (!). Look at what you're next to. Avoid lifts and stairwells (all night "bing" and slamming doors, kids running up and down first thing in the morning). Avoid the launderettes (noise). Look at what's above and below you (deck 6- people running on the prom and noise from the kitchens above your head, deck 4- noise from bars and disco under your feet). If you're young you might not mind the nightime sounds but hate the morning type ones! Where do you think you'll spend most of your time? In the library or gym? Book a cabin towards the bow. In the Queens Room? Get one aft. If you go for a "guarantee" then you could A. get a cabin cheaper and with more chance of an up-grade but also (because they can put you where they like) B. a cabin with many of the problems above. If you book a particular cabin (as I have) you get less chance of an up-grade but you know where you'll be. As regards paying for it. By choosing mid summer you're paying peak fares, maybe spring/fall would be cheaper? This side of the pond (UK) the balance is required 90 days before the voyage. Regarding the single supplement, book it NOW (as a single, you can change the booking later) and then spend the next year getting a friend to go with you. Offer to pay a bit of their fare (it will still be cheaper then the supplement). If you're outgoing, ask for a table for 6 or more, make friends! If you're a night owl, ask for late seating at dinner.

Hope a little of this helps.

newby20,

Pepper has already given you excellent advice - one thing I'd add is that if you are willing to book within 90 days of sailing on a 'guarantee' basis - i.e. you are guaranteed a specific grade of cabin, but not its location - then you may find that inside/outside/balcony (with restricted view - but you can still see plenty) are the SAME price. A leading cruise discounter (frequently has ads on this board) has the May 17 westbound for $999 for all 3 grades, and 3 other dates for the same prices, for example.

Peter

yikes ooo much info. i think ill have 2 go for a balcony! even tho i would probably spend alot of my time in the public areas. it would be nice to wake up in the morning and here the wosh of the ocean that beautiful smell etc etc.

when it come sto the cost tho! i have to go in june cause im in uni at the minute and this is a traet for finishing and i have exams etc up until then! and i really want it to recover from the stress lol..

also are those hull balconys really as dark as people say, or as i saw when i googled it?????. they would be handy to shelter from the wind lol..

also is it true that i can change a single booking to a double later? cause i have no one to go with at the minute but might have one later in year?

yikes ooo much info. i think ill have 2 go for a balcony!

also are those hull balconys really as dark as people say,

also is it true that i can change a single booking to a double later? cause i have no one to go with at the minute but might have one later in year?

No they are not dark and gloomy but sheltered from the 20 knot+ wind! I've changed singles to doubles with no bother at all from Cunard or my travel agent, ask whomever you book with, when you go to book, if you can change the numbers later (a good travel agent would help here, not sure about on-line), if they say "no, not sure, think so" then say "thanks but no thanks" and go elsewhere and book, but as I said, I've not had a problem.

kool thanks for all da info!! they do look like fab rooms. just da picture i saw it was v v dark den at closer inspection it was nite he he. doh. im going to ring cunard 2moro and ill ask her about changing if so ill book it then and if not ill leave it for a while! id just be worried that id lose the sailling date i want.

Do not rule out inside cabins. People book them every week, and many are repeats. If you want to save some money, it is a viable option. As said, as it gets closer to cruise time, they often discount prices and give free upgrades from interior to view or balcony cabins.

Again, people book interior all the time. Put your TV on the bridgecam and you have a "window" to the outside. Some even leave it on all night which means you get the sunrise in your room.

by the way, since you are new, a little hint. Make your subject line more descriptive. I thought the interior/exterior was talking about something totally different and actually skipped over it yesterday.

You say that money is tight. Lots of folk (who have fatter wallets than you will happilly reccomend an outside cabin. Hey, why not go the whole hog and book a Grill. Money is tight, so be assured that waking up to see the sea, and yes that is what you do see outside on a crossing, costs.

You will have a great crossing in an inside cabin, it is your decision, or your wallet's if you spend more on an outside.

David.

Usually it's me and Nana traveling transatlantic, this time we took my 8 year old. Only sleep in the cabin. Got a great deal on an obstructed view, cabin 8083. We have had inside, portholes, and the like, having done several crossings, but this past cabin was just wonderful. Not a great view, but hey, it's the middle of the Atlantic, but we still could see daylight, see the sea and get some air. If they give you a deal, I would go for obstructed view.......if on a budget.

May I suggest that next time your subject line reads "I am thinking of booking a interior (that is, an INSIDE) cabin or a exterior (that is, an OUTSIDE) cabin, advice please".

That way no-one will pass your question by and you'll get answers from all (not just from those members who easily understood your original question (interior/exterior) but also from those who find english difficult to master (and why should they, it is only one of many great languages from around the world).

A word of caution however, if "fredginger" answers your queston by refering you to previous threads eg "this has been answered before, go look" then don't be upset, look, it will give you insights into how things used to be in history, in years gone by. However, for an up to date, relevant answer, hang in there, someone who has real knowledge will answer you with current information.

Hope this helps, your friend

Some good advice from the last poster, with one addition (or different view).

The problem with asking a question and getting answers that are CURRENT, is that only CURRENT and active members answer it. Some people come and go depending when they are crusing. Therefore, somebody that has a very good answer from the recent past may not be active and the person asking the question misses out.

And, sometimes people get tired of the same question being asked over and over and do not bother to answer. Maybe they should, maybe not. But meanwhile, the person asking for help gets the short end.

A search really is a great way to get indepth answers to most questions.

hey im planning to book a crossing for june 2007. and money is tight. QUOTE]

Niall said "money is tight"

So strongly recommending him to book an outside as minimum is probably not the soundest advice.

If money is important to him dollars spent on a more expensive cabin are dollars he won't have elsewhere.

That an outside cabin is more pleasant is obvious, but it may not be best choice for his circumstances.

David.

It certainly is. I booked my 2004 back to back transatlantics a couple of days after returning from my first transatlantic, and a couple of days before meeting my (now) wife.

I had been forced to book a double cabin because there were no singles left, but it was the work of a moment to change it.

It's much better with two!

I think if money is tight that booking an inside is going to leave you more money to spend on wine, women and song. If you are on your own you are less likely to spend a lot of time in your cabin, and having seen pictures of the inside cabins on QM2 I'd consider one myself if I was on my own and couldn't go the whole hog to a grill.

A balcony isn't much use on the North Atlantic. It's nice if you have it, but most don't.

You have access to the outside day and night - which is all you need.

You might want to try taking a wander on deck at night about 2.00 am or later. From my experience it was deserted - just the throb of the engines below in the background.

It makes you think quite how desolate and alone the poor souls on Titanic must have been, as that was about the time the ship went down.....

hey im planning to book a crossing for june 2007. and money is tight. QUOTE]

Niall said "money is tight"

So strongly recommending him to book an outside as minimum is probably not the soundest advice,

That an outside cabin is more pleasant is obvious, but it may not be best choice for his circumstances.

David.

David, you are so right, go book 4049 Niall, you'll have a great crossing

(but when you've missed out on the sight and smell of the ocean from your cabin, you've got the sound of the parents and kids in the connecting cabin (4053) as an alarm clock, you discover that the sounds of the royal court theater are below you and keeping you awake when all you want to do is sleep, when you hit that storm and feel the power of the north atlantic in your bathroom (because you're so far forward), or book 4210 and dance (because the bed is moving) to the beat of the music from the G32 disco under you. Book 6030 and know when every passenger gets out of the elevator, book 6154 and hear both when the glass elevator goes past your cabin and when breakfast is being prepared in the kitchens above your bed at 5 in the morning).

Have a great crossing.

Archived