RCCL Adventure Ocean question

FPP777

We will be cruising with our two DD/s next July. One will be 6 and the other will be turning 5 while we are on the cruise. So from what I read that makes one an Aquanaut and one an Explorer. If I wanted the older one to be with her younger sister, can we do that? We would prefer that they are together the entire time, and I am sure so will my younger one.

Anyone have this experience before? If so, how did you handle it?

Thanks

You will have to wait until you board and talk to the staff. There will be an open house time in the afternoon when you board. There will be staff available to talk to at this time. It really depends on the number of children they have on that particular sailing in each group. It also depends on how big the 6 year old is compared to the 3-5 year olds that you want to place him/her with. It would be best to go with the attitude of wait and see... and if you can have them together then great... but if not... they will each have a great time as well. (plus, there are times that they have the groups together... if one group is smaller)

• 2 weeks later...

We had this situation with my girls and it wasn't a problem. They were having way too much fun to worry about where their sister was. Often times the groups were combined and on Enchantment, the two rooms were adjoining so they could see each other. Honestly, I think my kids would have spent the entire cruise in Adventure Ocean if they could have! They have a new activity every 15 minutes and the staff are so great.

Emily

While on our Granduer of the Seas cruise is March a mother with 2 kids was checking her kids in for the first time and asked if the kids could stay together ( I don't know what the ages were) and the AO staff would not let them. She stated that the activities were designed and appropriated for specific age groups, and that they had a strict policy. The mom got soooo angry she started yelling profanities that would make a sailor blush! This was in front of 20 kids, including her own.

You should definitely NOT plan on having the kids stay together. If they allow it, consider it a bonus for you. Our kids are close in age, however because of the age range cutoffs, they're never in the same group. While the counselors are mostly accommodating (remember, they work for tips!), they are really supposed to stick to the policies. Remember, RCCL plans, organizes and provides supplies for every AO group based on each child's birthdate as supplied when you booked your cruise. If everyone sought and were granted exceptions, AO probably couldn't function! That said, I agree with the other posts, in that your kids will have a great time either way!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something? Our 2 kids practically lived at AO on our last cruise and I never heard anything about tipping the AO staff. We are going again this fall and assume the kids will camp out at AO.

While the counselors are mostly accommodating (remember, they work for tips!),

I really feel like an idiot. I consider myself an upstanding type person and the tipping thing didn't cross my mind. While the wait staff and cabin steward tipping is mentioned everywhere, I didn't see any posts about children's staff tipping.

This is stupid, but how do you do it? Cash in palm, envelope?? How much? Help!!

Pam, here's a recent/current thread on the subject of tipping for children: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=357485. It starts with tipping the cabin steward, but ends with posts regarding tipping the camp counselors.

On our most recent 6-day cruise, we had two kids in Camp Carnival who used it only "occasionally" on a 6-day cruise so we tipped about $30-40/kid in cash on the last evening. When we were on Explorer, I recall that AO and other kid's programs are pretty much the same.

Don't blame yourself too much--you won't find any hints about this on any printed tip cards, cruise bulletins or other places (not that I'm aware of). I guess because this is not a service that the majority of cruisers use, they don't publicize it.

Archived