Millenium's Gym

jerseyjohn711

Hi folks,

Any diehard fitness fans have views on the Millenium's gym?

-Is it big enough/ or crowded?

-Is the equipment in good shape?

-Any opinions on the yoga, spinning or the aerobics classes (for my

fiance of course)

-Anyone use the personal training? How much did it cost?

(phone rep. said they don't know)

-How heavy do the free weights go up?

-Any thoughts if it will be less crowded on a mediterranean cruise,

perhaps due to older passengers?

Thanks!

The gym on the Millennium is an adequate size in terms of equipment. It's been a couple of years since I was on the Millennium so I can't comment on the shape of the equipment. However, I was on the Constellation recently (same ship, same gym). As for it being crowded, it will be very crowded on sea days as people have little to do. On port days the diehard fitness fans will be at the gym the minute it opens to get in their workout before going ashore. If you want to ge in a good workout, be there when the gym opens, no matter what day it is. There is not much in the way of free weights, as the dumbells are probably no heavier than 50 lbs. if I remember correctly, maybe a little heavier. Nothing in the way of barbells except for some hollow bars that you can load up with sand/cement filled plates. The problem is that the ends of the bars are very short and will only hold a couple of plates on each end so you can't really make the barbell much heavier than about 50-60 lbs. The best pieces of equipment are the weight training machines and they do at least have a machine for each body part so you should be able to get by.

As for the gym being less crowded because it's a Med cruise with more seniors, that will not necessarily be the case. If the cruise is port intensive you will find that many people do not go to the gym on port days because they are on excursions that leave early in the morning and don't return until dinner time. If you are taking excursions you will be in the same position. On sea days the gym will be mobbed. If you are a diehard fitness fan you will find it very hard to workout most of the time. Since there is no charge for using the gym you will frequently find the gym overwhelmed with people that have never worked out in their life and will never work out when they get of the ship. They are only in the gym because it is free. They seem to think that using the treadmill for 10 miuntes will compensate for the 3,000 extra calories they just had at breakfast. You'll recognize there people right away as you will see men using the weight machines dressed in Bermuda shorts wearing knee high, black dress socks and dress shoes and women on the treadmill wearing capri pants and flip-flops or mules.

As I said, the bottom line is if you want to get a good workout, be there the minute the gym opens.

Since the Summit is in the same class as the ship you are referring to, my husband was not happy with the gym.

They will not let you use the spin cycles unless you take a class and pay $10, and yoga is also $10. They actually have removed the seats from the cycles, so obviously they cannot be used except for generating revenue.

This was not the case a year ago on the Infinity, so no doubt it is company wide.

Considering that my husband has two expensive bicycles, and rides at least 30 miles a day, this was one thing that really annoyed him. No doubt he did not need a class.

As I said, the bottom line is if you want to get a good workout, be there the minute the gym opens.

Does anyone know what time the gym opens on the Millenium? Is it the same time for port days and at-sea days?

Thanks!

I just got off the Millenium TA cruise. Gym was open 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM. I just used the treadmills and bikes; there were about a dozen treadmills, two upright cycles and four recumbent. At least one treadmill and one recumbent were out of commission the entire cruise. One or two of the weight machines were broken at various times. It was more crowded on sea days than port days, and it was more crowded earlier in the cruise than towards the end. I can't answer any questions about spinning (seats were not on the bikes) nor fitness sessions.

Bob P.

Hi folks,

Any diehard fitness fans have views on the Millenium's gym?

-Is it big enough/ or crowded?

-Is the equipment in good shape?

-Any opinions on the yoga, spinning or the aerobics classes (for my

fiance of course)

-Anyone use the personal training? How much did it cost?

(phone rep. said they don't know)

-How heavy do the free weights go up?

-Any thoughts if it will be less crowded on a mediterranean cruise,

perhaps due to older passengers?

Thanks!

JerseyJohn - you might be interested in the attached thread, in which I included a link to a photo album showing the gym in the Infinity, which is substantially identical to that on the Millennium. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=227328 We've been on Millennium twice, most recently for the westbound transatlantic in November. We've always been impressed with the size and equipment on Celebrity's Millennium-class ships compared with their smaller Century-class ships or Princess' ships - the only comparisons we have. The HAL Vista-class ships are only a little smaller, but similar in location, size and layout.

The selectorized equipment they have (Nautilus brand?) has odd ergonomics, but is generally in OK shape. The large wood floor is good for stretching and ab work if it's not being used for classes or seminars. In our experience the gyms aren't overly crowded in the mornings (we're usually there around 8 a.m.) but are more crowded on at-sea days, much less so on port days.

Free weights (dumbells) only go up to 45 lbs, and the benches are bolted to the floor which can create some crowding in the free-weight area as many people (non-lifters) try to use that same space for ab and floor work.

We haven't done spinning classes or personal training so can't speak to that. I believe personal training is $65 per hour, but that's just my recollection of seeing it advertised. I've only noticed trainers working with what appear to be inexperienced exercisers, so I couldn't speak to their level of knowledge, etc.

Archived