Weather for Bahama Cruise in December

My wife and I usually cruise without our daughter in August but I am thinking of surprising my wife and daughter with a Cruise for Christmas that is reasonably priced. I was looking at the cruises to the Bahamas but was wondering what going to the Bahamas is like in December (as I have only been in August). So if you have been there this time of year I would love to hear about it!! Thanks.

I was on the Sovereign for New Year's the last two years. The daytime temps ranged from the upper 70's to lower 80's. The water temps were in the upper 70's, cool if you're from southern climes, but just fine if you're from the northeast like I am.

You can look up and find the average temperatures and rainfall for December in the Bahamas but when it comes time to sail there you are totally at the mercy of Mother Nature. If, even a few weeks ago, you had posted a message inquiring about what temperatures and weather conditions to expect in New England for middle of May, 2006, I doubt anyone would have told you to expect high temperatues to be in the low fifties with days of heavy rain accompanied by serious flooding. At some point you have to look at the averages and then understand that you are at the mercy of the specific weather conditions that will exist when you travel, and those conditions can differ dramatically (for better or worse) from the averages. If you are from an area where winter is typically cold and snowy, the temperatures in the Bahamas will probably be much better than you will be experiencing back home, but be prepared in case they don't quite meet your expectations.

Archived