What should I do?

calij11

My fiance and I want to do some shopping for a watch and a ring in Marigot and in Phillispurg. We also want to hit up Orient Bay at some point during the day. My question is how should we go about doing it? I know Marigot is in the northwest and Orient is more towards the east. Should we first go to Marigot in the morning then Phillispburg and then back out to Orient? My reasoning for going to Marigot first was because I don't think much of the shops will be open in the morning in Phillipsburg. Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.

If your reason for visiting Marigot is limited to shopping for jewelry, I'd just skip it. Philipsburg will have better prices for most any items that you're considering.

I'd head for Orient and spend your time there, maybe have lunch, then return to Philipsburg for the shopping. You definitely don't want to shop first and take your purchases to the beach.

If you're looking for a very special ring setting that might require sizing, most jewelers should be able to do that in under two hours.

Perosnally I would suggest, get to Philipsburg early, most business's open by 9 am. Do your shopping early... Do it in P'Burg. Its much less expensive, and a much larger selection of stores. You wanna do your shopping in the AM incase u need to have ur ring sized, or a stone set, or ur watched sized or anythig else, they can work on it during the day, while u go to marigot and OB. Go to Marigot after ur shopping in p'burg, here u can do more window shopping, or visit a nice cafe for a drink and a snack, then head on to OB. Spend sometime soaking up the sun and head back to p'burg to pickup ur purchases if u need to, then back to the ship it is.

IMHO, fitting all 3 into ur 1 day schedule is cerainly possible but, I wouldnt recommend it one bit. You will be rushing through all 3, and wouldnt enjoy a single one completely. I would pick the 2 most important and call it a day.

(btw, In Philipsburg, shops open at or before 9 am and work straight through until 6 - 7 pm. Most business in marigot open around 10, and they close for lunch between 1 - 3, so be sure to accomodate for that in your schedule)

Thanks a lot. Sounds good. I think I will just stick to Phillipsburg and get all our shopping done there. We need to have a diamond set into the new piece so while that is occuring we will probably hit up Orient and then come back to pick up the jewelry. One question I have is, if you can get a better selection and price in Phillipsburg, why do people even go to Marigot?

With that new information, I think your idea is fine. Shop, select and leave the purchase with the shop to adjust, then hit the beach. Pick up on your return and you're set.

People go to Marigot for the French ambiance, the food, shopping for fashions or wine, etc. To experience a little bit of France, and it truly is a Department of France, i.e. not a territory or possession or something like that. You are on French Soil!

That said, sometimes the Cartier and Chopard jewelry/watch selection is better in the French side shops.

gary

p.s. Check out this earlier thread.

Thanks for the link. It was helpful. I also saw your post that has the shops and what brand watches they sell. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=77380&highlight=watches

I am looking for an Omega, Tag Heuer, or IWC. Too bad Shiva's does not carry those brands because I would definitely check it out. Is "Jewels by love" the only IWC carrier on the island? I hope not because we are going to skip Marigot. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions and other new travellers.

I had forgotten about that post. Thanks for the reminder, as I should update it. Will try to do so after this year's visit.

Unfortunately, for you, I believe that Jewels by Love is still the only IWC shop.

If you're shopping for IWC, I would really suggest that you fit in a visit to Shiva's to check out their inventory (not necessairly watches, but see what they have) with our friend Jay. Ask him if the Pink Diamond is still available.

If you are re-thinking a trip to Marigot, Note that you would spend literally hours in travel going from the Pier to Marigot to Philipsburg to Orient and back to the Pier. I don't believe that you've mentioned your method of travel; what are your plans there?

gary

p.s. feel free to e-mail me through my profile if you would like.

Not really re-thinking. If IWC is only in one spot in marigot I will still skip it. Next time I go to St. Maarten I will make it up to Marigot. The more I research the more I see that there is a ton of shopping to be done in Phillipsburg. We will most definitely check out Shivas though, it seems like a good place to start. I am guessing taxi will be the mode of travel. Also do you remember how much it will be from Phillipsburg to Orient? And how far away is Front street from the port. Thanks.

<snip>

Also do you remember how much it will be from Phillipsburg to Orient? And how far away is Front street from the port. Thanks.

For taxi fares to Orient or elsewhere, check the SXM Taxi website. Share a ride and save!

Front street is a ~ 10 minute Water Taxi ride or a 20-30 minute walk from the cruise facility. You could also take a regular taxi downtown for a small fee.

Check out my Great Bay Panoramic for an overview of the pier and 'downtown' area.

Re: for shopping, in general, Philipsburg is great for jewelry and watches, tablecloths, perfumes, cosmetics and liquor! Also pick up a Gouda Cheese!

We believe that the best shopping in the Caribbean is right here in Philipsburg.

Archived