St Petersburg Ship Excursions

We'll be sailing on NCL Dream on June 4. We're very conservative and will do the ship tour. My husband does not want to pre-book any shore excursions. My question...if we wait to get on the ship will trips to Peterof, Pushkin and Hermitage still be available? Or do they sell out early on-line?

We'll be sailing on NCL Dream on June 4. We're very conservative and will do the ship tour. My husband does not want to pre-book any shore excursions. My question...if we wait to get on the ship will trips to Peterof, Pushkin and Hermitage still be available? Or do they sell out early on-line?
I don't know specifically about the Dream, but from sailing two other ships in the Baltics, I would advise you to book your tours ASAP because the most popular ones sell out.

I hope your husband has read all the threads and is prepared to wait in line for an hour or more at the Hermitage, Peterhof, and Catherine's Palace in a shore ex group so that he won't be disappointed. I have read reports of shore ex passengers standing in the rain too because the shore ex guides refused to let them wait on the buses. The private tour groups have reservations and don't have to wait.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I agree with Donna....many of the excursions do tend to book up early.

There was a couple at our dinner table last year who booked an excursion prior to the cruise. The night before the excursion, they called for a wake-up call the next morning...the wake-up center never called them and they missed their excursion!

They went to the purser's and complained and the purser did everything they could to get them on another excursion...because they were all booked up, there were none that they could get on the 1st day until the afternoon (a half day excursion)...it wasn't preferable, but at least it was something...

Book St. Petersburg early...you won't regret it!

thanks to both of you for your heads up. I let my husband read your replies; and he groused - go ahead book the tours. Sure enuff the one to Peterof was already sold out. I took my second choice(s) and those will be great - not to mention my peace of mind. And his, now that I've stopped nagging.:p

We'll be sailing on NCL Dream on June 4. My question...if we wait to get on the ship will trips to Peterof, Pushkin and Hermitage still be available? Or do they sell out early on-line?

Hi, Scarlotte - in addition to the concern about the tours selling out, I've heard that you may have trouble booking St. Petersburg tours once you're on board since the ship has to supply the local authorities with each passenger's passport information far enough in advance to get the "group" visa for that tour. This isn't from personal experience, but I've understood that from reading these boards. We've already arranged for two days of tours with Denrus for our cruise on Jewel OTS later this summer, so our visas will be taken care of by them.

Enjoy your trip, and please post your thoughts after you return!

Bruce - that is fascinating but it makes sense. Actually we tried to contact Red October - twice; and they never replied. At that point I felt I wanted to get the reservations over and done with. Even though I've read great things about RO and also Denrus, my husband kept asking the question - what if that other tour company has vehicle trouble and can't get you back. I had read on one of the boards about a huge traffic jam in StPb - luckily the ship waited because its own tours were late coming back.

Yes, I'll post our experiences.

You have a wonderful trip too. ANd thanks for taking the time to answer.

Bruce - that is fascinating but it makes sense. Actually we tried to contact Red October - twice; and they never replied. At that point I felt I wanted to get the reservations over and done with. Even though I've read great things about RO and also Denrus, my husband kept asking the question - what if that other tour company has vehicle trouble and can't get you back. I had read on one of the boards about a huge traffic jam in StPb - luckily the ship waited because its own tours were late coming back.

Yes, I'll post our experiences.

You have a wonderful trip too. ANd thanks for taking the time to answer.

Scarlotte,

This maybe fascinating, but as an ex-Shore Excursions Manager in the Baltic, I can say that unfortunately in this case Bruce is incorrect.

However, I would advise booking in advance especially if there is something that you really want to see. Depending on the line you are cruising with, you maybe able to switch tours once onboard if you decide that there is something else that interests you, especially once you have been to the port talk, for example. I am not sure if this is the case with NCL, but have a read through their bookings conditions and it should be clear from there.

Have a wonderful cruise!

[A]s an ex-Shore Excursions Manager in the Baltic, I can say that unfortunately in this case Bruce is incorrect.

Hi, Tiggrr - This is why these boards are so great - you can hear from so many different people. I know that I've read that about the ships having to submit the list of names and passport numbers in advance on several threads here, but I didn't know if it were true or not. Thank you for providing your insights!

Still, like Scarlotte, based on what I've heard about SPb I wanted to have the tours taken care of so we've got our excursions booked three months in advance! We'll go on our own at some of the other ports but not there.

Happy cruising!

Hi, Tiggrr - This is why these boards are so great - you can hear from so many different people. I know that I've read that about the ships having to submit the list of names and passport numbers in advance on several threads here, but I didn't know if it were true or not. Thank you for providing your insights!

Still, like Scarlotte, based on what I've heard about SPb I wanted to have the tours taken care of so we've got our excursions booked three months in advance! We'll go on our own at some of the other ports but not there.

Happy cruising!

Glad to have thrown some more definite light on this one! Sure, certain lists are submitted in advance but not that strictly relating to excursions, expect maybe for the Moscow tour.

But yes get booked up early to avoid disappointment!

Have fun!

Archived