Adventure Ocean questions (RCL)

Already In Love

We're taking our very first cruise this october to the mexican riveria with RCL Vision of the Seas.

I am considering leaving my children in the adventure ocean camp one of the port days so my husband and I can do some snorkling together. We don't have a cell phone though. Is there any way that they can get ahold of us if the kids need us while we're on land and they're on the ship? Do they give you a beeper or anything?

I can't find the answer on the webesite. I know carnival gives you a beeper.

~AIL

Sorry to say there is no way for them to reach you once you leave the ship.

We have been able to find some long range walkie talkies though that go up to 8 miles and have left one at the kids clubs before, just in case. Luckily they never had to use them so I don't know if they really have the kind of range they claim to or not. If you're not going too far from the ship that may be a good solution.

We're taking our very first cruise this october to the mexican riveria with RCL Vision of the Seas.

I am considering leaving my children in the adventure ocean camp one of the port days so my husband and I can do some snorkling together. We don't have a cell phone though. Is there any way that they can get ahold of us if the kids need us while we're on land and they're on the ship? Do they give you a beeper or anything?

~AIL

Radios are a good option but do your kids know how to use them? I don't think the counselors will accept them.

As for Carnival providing beepers, when we were on Liberty last fall, and I never saw them give out beepers.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry--your kids will be having way too much fun to ever need to call you! :D

On the older Carnival ships they will give out beepers, but on the Liberty they give out very nice Cisco IP phones which are basically cordless phones that work as though they are an extension off the ships phone system. They only give the beepers/phones out to parents of younger children and they do NOT work when you leave the ship. Our kids were 3 and 5 years old and they gave us a phone on the Liberty. My 5 year old can operate the walkie talkie, he knows how to set it on channel 22 and we have a "code word" he says so we know its him and not some other kid trying to call his mom. We also give the code to the counselors and they have never had an issue with holding on to it for our kids.

The counselors do a lovely job and I am sure the kids will have a ball.

~AIL

On the RCI Jewel they gave us a on ship only phone for our younger child. It did not work off the ship. We had two cell phones along, and did not pre-arrange service - one had service, one did not. My advice would be to prearrange for cell service with your carrier, take your cell phones - verify that they work -- otherwise I agree with the other poster, there is no way to reach you when you leave the ship. Of course if you are both snorkling, you won't hear the phone anyways!!:rolleyes: :D

thanks for the info/ideas.

We are the last holdouts on the planet. We don't own cell phones and don't plan to be buying them in the next few months, so I was hoping that there was some system for contacting us in case of emergency.

I woudn't expect to be contacted if my kids weren't having fun (they aren't the kind of kids who would just sit there and cry or anything, even if they were bored) but it does seem a bit odd for there to be no way to contact me even if my child chokes or breaks an arm or something. I guess I have to trust that they will provide adequate medical care and just relax and have fun. Either that or not let my kids attend the program (That's not going to happen, good kids' programs is one of the main reasons we chose to do a cruise this year).

anyway, thanks again for the info, I'm glad to be prepared and not surprised when I Get there.

Casey

Good Morning! I read your posting about the programs aboard the RCCL ships. My family and I went on a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas in April, and one of my concerns was my 9 year old son not wanting to go to the programs provided on the ship. Well, we were blessed! Once we took him the first night, he begged to go back after dinner every night. You can drop them of after dinner and pick them back up by 9:45PM or for $5.00 more an hour they can stay until midnight. He did 2 nights in a row! They do all kinds of fun activities with the kids. My son still talks about it today, the other day we were discussing with my 16 yr. old about a graduation cruise in 2yrs. and he said 'I'm coming I want to go back to the Kids stuff, it was fun!' They make an everlasting impression on your kids! The crew is great! I hope I shared a possitive side to RCCL's Kids program, God Bless!

Archived