Cruising Sunday to Mexico.....need help with a question

The paperwork I was sent from Carnival said resort wear at dinner. Can I wear a skirt from Columbia or Capri's from Columbia sportswear? They are big where I live in Portland, Oregon and I have a ton which I wear in hot weather and they dry fast if they get wet so they are great for travel and they dry overnight in the bathroom. Can I wear those with a nice top from Chicos or J.Jill or Tommy Bahama??

TIA

Packing now and need help:confused:

:o My kids have started calling me "chico" because that's about all I wear anymore. I have some vintage Chico pieces, too!

You'll look absolutely fabulous! Hope you have a great trip!

Absolutely, that's what they mean by resort wear. You'll be fine! Have a wonderful time!:D

Even at dinner time? What kind of shoes? Flip flops, dansko sandals or fancy heels? The fancy heels will look dumb with a Sport skirt but......:rolleyes:

Even at dinner time? What kind of shoes? Flip flops, dansko sandals or fancy heels? The fancy heels will look dumb with a Sport skirt but......:rolleyes:

Sandals will be fine:) Relax and have fun:)

I'm scared because some of the people here say not to wear casual/resort wear to dinner. I'm not talking about the formal nights but just dinner in the dinning room. I'm on a cruise and Carnival is a low end cruise line so I figure casual. I mean compared to QM2 or Crystal Cruises, the rich line.

I'm scared because some of the people here say not to wear casual/resort wear to dinner. I'm not talking about the formal nights but just dinner in the dinning room. I'm on a cruise and Carnival is a low end cruise line so I figure casual. I mean compared to QM2 or Crystal Cruises, the rich line.

I just got off the Glory. Because of all the no jeans in the dining room people, I brought an extra pair of slacks to wear just for dinner. What a mistake. I was doing this to try and please someone else. I ended up having to lug an extra pair of pants across the country and back. I spent extra time changing before dinner and the people at the table next to me wore jeans every night except formal night.

To top it all off, on the last night I wore a tux T-shirt. The rules do say no T-shirts at dinner. I received several possitive comments regarding the shirt.

The bottom line, the people who cruise on Carnival are there to have a good time, not to judge a fashion show. Wear nice clean clothes and you will be fine. Don't make the same mistake I made and try to dress to someone else's standards.

Huh??? Low end cruise line? HARDLY! It's that type of perception that really bothers me about Carnival cruises.

Please plan to have fun, please enjoy yourself, but please dress for dinner like you are going to a nice restaurant, because that is what it is... a nice restaurant. That doesn't mean fancy, it just means nice. "Resort casual" is not dressy... it is a relaxed and comfortable look, usually accented with jewelry. It's not really hard to pull outfits together, given a bit of thought. Wear your Columbia... get some cute tops and sandals (not flip-flops), and you'll be fine.

Hey Suburb, I am going to be on your ship sunday as well... we can be dressed down together! My soon to be wife and I have no intention of dressing up every night, just the important ones.

Suburban Drudgery, remember that this is your vacation!!! What is dressy for one person, is not the same for another. Don't get caught up in what others want you to wear. If you think you will be uncomfortable and not dressed up enough, then see what others are wearing. This can easily be accomplished if you have the late seating. Just walk by the dining room during the first seating and check out the others. Just remember that you are there to have fun and vacation!!! Have fun!!! We leave in 12 days for the Pride!!! :)

Thanks everyone. I didn't mean that Carnival was a yucky line. Heck I'm cruising with them!:p I just meant they are a fussy, snobby line. I have 2 small kids so we are doing the early dinner time. I usually wear casual wear to dinner in my city of Portland, Oregon. People wear jeans here to the opera and ballet. My city is very casula. So I don't have a lot of fancy clothes. I did buy one fancy dress for the cruise. My husband won't. He wears to jeans to work and works in the computer field here. so it's me in black velvet for the formal night and him in tommy Bahama. Funny for a picture of us. I'll see what others are wearing the first night and go from there. I don't remember what I wore when I cruised in 1995.:rolleyes:

Make sure you pack a light sweater or jacket for each. It was a little breezy on deck in the evening, and it got a little chilly in the dining room a couple of nights. I got DH into a pair of slacks and a dress shirt for formal night. He carried a sport jacket, may have had it on for a few minutes.

I ended up having to lug an extra pair of pants across the country and back. I spent extra time changing before dinner and the people at the table next to me wore jeans every night except formal night.

Pretty sure they had to "lug" there jeans across country too; and I doubt they wore them all day and changed into them for dinner.

quote=Cuizer2] I spent extra time changing before dinner and the people at the table next to me wore jeans every night except formal night.

Good for you. You should be proud of the fact that you dressed appropriately and those other folks didn't.

To top it all off, on the last night I wore a tux T-shirt. The rules do say no T-shirts at dinner. I received several possitive comments regarding the shirt.

Bad for you. Yes, they definitely say NO tees. Those tux tees are soooo tacky. Not cute and not funny. Just because you got some positive comments makes me wonder what those folks said after they walked away from you.:rolleyes:

Don't make the same mistake I made and try to dress to someone else's standards.

It's the cruiseline's 'standards', and they should be followed. If not, that's what the Lido buffet area is there for, folks who choose NOT to follow the dress code guidelines.

It's the cruiseline's 'standards', and they should be followed. If not, that's what the Lido buffet area is there for, folks who choose NOT to follow the dress code guidelines.

I wonder why it's so difficult for some people to follow rules and guidelines and suggestions. It happens all over. Let's see how some of the rationalizations fit other guidelines and rules...

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can drive whatever speed I want to.

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can spit on the sidewalk.

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can chew with my mouth open, talk on the cell phone while the plane is in the air, smoke in someone else's home when they ask me not to, and kick a cat.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I get to crinkle candy wrappers during the symphony's performance of Beethoven's 9th.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I can talk loudly during the movie and tell everyone the surprise ending.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I can smoke in the airplane's restroom, blow right by the security checkpoint and take 4 carry-ons. [i personally think that airline security is excessively paranoiac, but if I've gotta take off my shoes then so does everyone else].

When in Rome, etc. Carnival asks diners to wear a minimum of "resort casual" to dinner, and that means something to the people who ask it, in this case, Carnival. It is their definition of "resort casual" which is important, not yours. No one has any business saying "well, 'resort casual' to me means blue jeans and t-shirts, flip-flops and a John Deere baseball cap, so that's what I'm wearing..."

You come to my home and I ask you not to smoke and you say "well, 'not smoking' to me means only cigarettes so I'm lighting up a joint...". The difference between me and a cruise line is that I don't care if you come back to my home. They want you back, even if you can't follow their guidelines.

It is extremely arrogant of people to impose their own meanings on someone else's rules and guidelines. It's one thing if you're new and don't know better; it's supremely arrogant if you know better and don't care.

You wanna have truly casual main dining? do Windjammer or Seabourne [i believe Seabourne will serve you while you're naked if you do it in your cabin]. You wanna have all formal all the time? do Cunard etc. Carnival requests 'resort casual' or formal for dinner. Why can't people just do it?

I wonder why it's so difficult for some people to follow rules and guidelines and suggestions. It happens all over. Let's see how some of the rationalizations fit other guidelines and rules...

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can drive whatever speed I want to.

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can spit on the sidewalk.

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can chew with my mouth open, talk on the cell phone while the plane is in the air, smoke in someone else's home when they ask me not to, and kick a cat.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I get to crinkle candy wrappers during the symphony's performance of Beethoven's 9th.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I can talk loudly during the movie and tell everyone the surprise ending.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I can smoke in the airplane's restroom, blow right by the security checkpoint and take 4 carry-ons. [i personally think that airline security is excessively paranoiac, but if I've gotta take off my shoes then so does everyone else].

When in Rome, etc. Carnival asks diners to wear a minimum of "resort casual" to dinner, and that means something to the people who ask it, in this case, Carnival. It is their definition of "resort casual" which is important, not yours. No one has any business saying "well, 'resort casual' to me means blue jeans and t-shirts, flip-flops and a John Deere baseball cap, so that's what I'm wearing..."

You come to my home and I ask you not to smoke and you say "well, 'not smoking' to me means only cigarettes so I'm lighting up a joint...". The difference between me and a cruise line is that I don't care if you come back to my home. They want you back, even if you can't follow their guidelines.

It is extremely arrogant of people to impose their own meanings on someone else's rules and guidelines. It's one thing if you're new and don't know better; it's supremely arrogant if you know better and don't care.

You wanna have truly casual main dining? do Windjammer or Seabourne [i believe Seabourne will serve you while you're naked if you do it in your cabin]. You wanna have all formal all the time? do Cunard etc. Carnival requests 'resort casual' or formal for dinner. Why can't people just do it?

Amen!

Pretty sure they had to "lug" there jeans across country too; and I doubt they wore them all day and changed into them for dinner.

How do you know??? Where you there??? Did you see what they were wearing during the day??? Where do you come off making such a statement that you have no knowledge about???

I usually wear casual wear to dinner in my city of Portland, Oregon. People wear jeans here to the opera and ballet.

That might be fine and well for Portland, but you aren't going to BE in Portland, you are going to be on a nice ship and dining in a nice restaurant. Just because you live in jeans 24/7 doesn't mean they are appropriate in other settings! The "suggested attire" does not state the words "fancy" or "dressy" and to me, there is just no excuse for those who choose to dress like they're heading off to Burger King for a Whopper or two. :(

quote=Cuizer2] Bad for you. Yes, they definitely say NO tees. Those tux tees are soooo tacky. Not cute and not funny. Just because you got some positive comments makes me wonder what those folks said after they walked away from you.:rolleyes:

Okay, what did they say? And if you don't know, don't assume.

As to the standards, there are no "standards" on Carnival against wearing jeans in the dining room. That rule was made up by a bunch of people who judge people by the clothes they wear and not by their character.

As to the no T-shirts in the dining room, I have to question if that standard even exists, given I received no negative comments, I walked past the maitre d' twice and I did receive several positive comments. People go on a Carnival cruise to have fun, not to pretent they are in some sort of a fashion show. Everyone had a great time, and the clothing someone wears does not change that.

If you don't want to wear jeans or T-shirts in the dining room, that is your choice and I will respect that. But you have no right to dictate to me what I will wear, and in the future I will not repeat my mistake in allowing this to happen. If that is a problem for you, then that is your problem, I will not allow it to be my problem again.

I agree, so why do you believe it is okay for you to set the standard? Obviously Carnival is not bothered by jeans in the dining room. Your examples are very poor examples, given that most of them are illegal.

The bottom line is, what someone wears (or does not wear) has no effect on the service I receive or the taste of my food. As to showing up in the dining room naked, that might be a health hazzard (I don't know).

Clearly Carnival realizes the passengers are there to have a good time. As long as this is happening and no one is being hurt by the actions of someone else, Carnival is happy and the guests are happy. It is just that some people believe they have the right to impose their ideas and their tastes on others. I allowed this to happen to me and it detracted from my vacation. I will not make the same mistake next time.

As to the standards, there are no "standards" on Carnival against wearing jeans in the dining room. That rule was made up by a bunch of people who judge people by the clothes they wear and not by their character.

You've said this before, and you were incorrect before.

You are incorrect now.

And you will be incorrect in the future if/when you say it again.

Carnival says "resort casual" is their standard. Avail yourself of carnival.com and look it up if you need to.

When you get on board the Capers on the first day will tell you that blue jeans are allowed in the main dining room on the first night since not all passengers can be guaranteed to have received their luggage but that on the remaining nights to please dress in "resort casual" or formal attire.

This means that jeans are not included in "resort casual".

And this means that every time you say they are you will be incorrect.

You've said this before, and you were incorrect before.

You are incorrect now.

And you will be incorrect in the future if/when you say it again.

Carnival says "resort casual" is their standard. Avail yourself of carnival.com and look it up if you need to.

When you get on board the Capers on the first day will tell you that blue jeans are allowed in the main dining room on the first night since not all passengers can be guaranteed to have received their luggage but that on the remaining nights to please dress in "resort casual" or formal attire.

This means that jeans are not included in "resort casual".

And this means that every time you say they are you will be incorrect.

You can be as theoretical as you want. Fact is, I was on the cruise, I saw what Carnival allows in the dining room, on every night except formal nights, and the fact is jeans are allowed in the dining room. And for you to state otherwise is either wrong, or a lie.

I agree, so why do you believe it is okay for you to set the standard?

It's Carnival's standard, not mine.

Obviously Carnival is not bothered by jeans in the dining room.

Not to the point of pissing off the troglodytes, no. Just got off the Miracle on Sunday, the folks sitting next to us showed up -- I've mentioned this before -- in a wide array of inappropriate clothing, up to and including dirty jeans [looked like oil stains, frankly], crass-saying t-shirts, shorts, and formal night the guy wore jeans with a shirt that actually buttoned.

Your examples are very poor examples, given that most of them are illegal.

So what?

The bottom line is, what someone wears (or does not wear) has no effect on the service I receive or the taste of my food.

Right; the old "looks don't matter" rationalization.

If looks don't matter, then whip up your plate o' grub in a blender and have it served with a straw. Eat the same meal under fluorescent lighting. Eat it on a picnic table with cinder block walls.

Clearly Carnival realizes the passengers are there to have a good time. As long as this is happening and no one is being hurt by the actions of someone else, Carnival is happy and the guests are happy.

I am not happy when the people next to me dress like slobs at dinner.

Or chew with their mouth open.

Or yack on cell phones.

Or have their children think the dining room is the playground annex.

But I'm cultured, and understand that being classy means "don't make a scene even if others are making a scene before you".

It is just that some people believe they have the right to impose their ideas and their tastes on others.

Right. And I've got to ask you: why do you think you can do that?

I allowed this to happen to me and it detracted from my vacation. I will not make the same mistake next time.

Here's a hint: Windjammer.

Archived