Cruising Sunday to Mexico.....need help with a question

Fact is, I was on the cruise, I saw what Carnival allows in the dining room, on every night except formal nights, and the fact is jeans are allowed in the dining room.

For someone who is as wrong as you are, you certainly say "the fact is" a lot.

And for you to state otherwise is either wrong, or a lie.

Apparently they are on formal night as well, since I saw that.

Doesn't make it any less rude and inconsiderate.

It's Carnival's standard, not mine.

Carnival clearly is allowing this to happen, so apparently it is okay with Carnival.

So what?

So, if it is illegal, then it does not matter what the cruise line allows, it is still illegal. That is what makes it wrong, and that is why your examples are not very good examples.

Right; the old "looks don't matter" rationalization.

If looks don't matter, then whip up your plate o' grub in a blender and have it served with a straw. Eat the same meal under fluorescent lighting. Eat it on a picnic table with cinder block walls.

I'm talking about clothing, you are talking about the looks of the food.

I am not happy when the people next to me dress like slobs at dinner.

Or chew with their mouth open.

Or yack on cell phones.

Or have their children think the dining room is the playground annex.

But I'm cultured, and understand that being classy means "don't make a scene even if others are making a scene before you".

These seem to be your personal problems. Not everyone has the same hang ups as you do.

Right. And I've got to ask you: why do you think you can do that?

I am not trying to impose any standards on anyone. If you want to dress up every night for dinner, go ahead, it will not bother me one bit. However, if you expect everyone else to do so, then perhaps you should look into one of the other cruise lines where this does happen. Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea and Regal all come to mind.

Here's a hint: Windjammer.

Windjammer is RCI, this is the Carnival forum and we are talking about Carnival ships and Carnival standards. At least try and keep your cruise lines straight.

quote=Cuizer2]Okay, what did they say? And if you don't know, don't assume.

I believe I said "...it makes me wonder what they said..." Possibly, what I consider an immature and inappropriate tux tee shirt would amuse others who are of like mind with you. Who knows?:D

But you have no right to dictate to me what I will wear.....

Oh, was I "dictating"? I think I was relaying only what Carnival's dress code policy is.

If that is a problem for you, then that is your problem, I will not allow it to be my problem again.

This seems to be such a huge issue with you. I often think that folks who jump on the defensive have other problems as well.

You may wear a potato sack if you choose. I really don't care. End of discussion.;)

quote=Cuizer2]Okay, what did they say? And if you don't know, don't assume.

I believe I said "...it makes me wonder what they said..." Possibly, what I consider an immature and inappropriate tux tee shirt would amuse others who are of like mind with you. Who knows?:D

But you have no right to dictate to me what I will wear.....

Oh, was I "dictating"? I think I was relaying only what Carnival's dress code policy is.

If that is a problem for you, then that is your problem, I will not allow it to be my problem again.

This seems to be such a huge issue with you. I often think that folks who jump on the defensive have other problems as well.

You may wear a potato sack if you choose. I really don't care. End of discussion.;)

Thank you, but I am not dragging a potato sack around with me either. As to Carnival's dress code policy, it does not exist in practice. I could see this on my cruise. The dress code on the web site and the dress code on the ship seem to be two different things. Since I am cruising on the ship, and not the web site, I'll go with the dress code on the ship.

You wear what makes you happy. If how others dress is a concern for you, then perhaps you would be happier on another cruise line, Seaborn, Crystal, Silversea or Regal perhaps might be more to your liking as far as dress codes on the ship are concerned.

Carnival clearly is allowing this to happen, so apparently it is okay with Carnival.

Which only means that they are aware that a portion of their clientele are troglodytes.

So, if it is illegal, then it does not matter what the cruise line allows, it is still illegal. That is what makes it wrong, and that is why your examples are not very good examples.

Apparently driving 80 in a 65 zone is fine with the cops because they seem to allow an awful lot of it...

I'm talking about clothing, you are talking about the looks of the food.

You are missing the unmistakable point that "eating" is not the same as "dining". Apart from having family in law and insurance, I've got a brother who is a certified chef, having the equivalent [so he tells me] of a master's degree in food. Half of chefery is "presentation" and it includes not only what is on the plate, but what is on the table, what is on the walls, what is on the floor, the ceiling, the servers, and on the other customers.

It includes the lighting, and everything the can be seen, felt and smelled in the restaurant. "Dining" is not just a satiation of your sense of taste, but it includes every other sense you have as well.

Sight, sound, tactile and smell.

These seem to be your personal problems. Not everyone has the same hang ups as you do.

Funny, but I don't have these "hang ups" when I go to Applebees and order chicken wings. Just when I'm in a classy restaurant with people dressed for Applebees.

I am not trying to impose any standards on anyone.

This is the same sorta thing we read in the papers all the time when the subject is academic performance: "We're not trying to impose standards on anyone when we want to have students graduate to the next class year if they haven't mastered the curriculum -- it's keeping them in their peer group..."

Nope. No standards imposition at all. It's now possible to "pass" by failing.

It's now "formal" to be informal.

Which only means that they are aware that a portion of their clientele are troglodytes.

Its cute that now you have reduced your agruments to name calling. If you are a Carnival client, then you can include yourself in this group.

Apparently driving 80 in a 65 zone is fine with the cops because they seem to allow an awful lot of it...

I agree, apparently driving 80 in a 65 zone is fine with the cops because they DO allow it an awful lot of it.

You are missing the unmistakable point that "eating" is not the same as "dining". Apart from having family in law and insurance, I've got a brother who is a certified chef, having the equivalent [so he tells me] of a master's degree in food. Half of chefery is "presentation" and it includes not only what is on the plate, but what is on the table, what is on the walls, what is on the floor, the ceiling, the servers, and on the other customers.

It includes the lighting, and everything the can be seen, felt and smelled in the restaurant. "Dining" is not just a satiation of your sense of taste, but it includes every other sense you have as well.

Sight, sound, tactile and smell.

Okay, you go to the dining room to dine, I go to eat. Enjoy.

Funny, but I don't have these "hang ups" when I go to Applebees and order chicken wings. Just when I'm in a classy restaurant with people dressed for Applebees.

I don't have your hang ups whether I am at McDonnalds or some four star restaurant. What other people wear or don't wear does not bother me in the slighest. I have learned to judge people by their character, not by the clothing they wear. I do have mine own hang ups, however, I don't try to impose them on others. If the way people dress bothers you that much, that is your personal problem. Perhaps you should explore other ships that are geared more to people who are as concerned as you are about dress codes. Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn and Regal come to mind.

This is the same sorta thing we read in the papers all the time when the subject is academic performance: "We're not trying to impose standards on anyone when we want to have students graduate to the next class year if they haven't mastered the curriculum -- it's keeping them in their peer group..."

Nope. No standards imposition at all. It's now possible to "pass" by failing.

It's now "formal" to be informal.

I never claimed informal was formal. I just have better things to do then waste my time pretending to be the fashion police while on my cruise. However, if you find that enjoyable, have fun. I was a fool to try and please everyone else on my cruise. Next time I will not make that same mistake. I enjoy being with people who know how to have fun and don't spend their time being judgemental about the clothing choices other people make.

I don't have anything to add to the controversy as it appears to me to be a dead horse; but I did want to tell the OP that I'm also from Portland and I will be waving to you on Sunday as you get off and I get on the Pride! Have a wonderful time! ;)

I would like to say one thing! The reason new threads are started each day about the whole "how should we dress thing" is because how posters like Rwilymz and cuizer2 carry on. You are not going to change each others minds! You carry on back and forth and the new cruisers don't know who to believe:eek:

Yes Rwilymz it does state on Carnival.com that resort casual is "recommended" on non formal nite in the dining room;) But people are still going to wear their nice jeans.

And yes cuizer2 you can wear nice jeans and you won't get kicked out;)

But people might turn their nose up at you. Who cares!

That being said, to the OP: Suburban drudgery: please feel comfortable wearing your capris and sandals (Yes I mean on non formal nites:rolleyes: )

As for me........I always wear my tight sexy jeans;)

I wonder why it's so difficult for some people to follow rules and guidelines and suggestions. It happens all over. Let's see how some of the rationalizations fit other guidelines and rules...

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can drive whatever speed I want to.

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can spit on the sidewalk.

"It's my vacation..." therefore I can chew with my mouth open, talk on the cell phone while the plane is in the air, smoke in someone else's home when they ask me not to, and kick a cat.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I get to crinkle candy wrappers during the symphony's performance of Beethoven's 9th.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I can talk loudly during the movie and tell everyone the surprise ending.

"I paid for my ticket..." therefore I can smoke in the airplane's restroom, blow right by the security checkpoint and take 4 carry-ons. [i personally think that airline security is excessively paranoiac, but if I've gotta take off my shoes then so does everyone else].

When in Rome, etc. Carnival asks diners to wear a minimum of "resort casual" to dinner, and that means something to the people who ask it, in this case, Carnival. It is their definition of "resort casual" which is important, not yours. No one has any business saying "well, 'resort casual' to me means blue jeans and t-shirts, flip-flops and a John Deere baseball cap, so that's what I'm wearing..."

You come to my home and I ask you not to smoke and you say "well, 'not smoking' to me means only cigarettes so I'm lighting up a joint...". The difference between me and a cruise line is that I don't care if you come back to my home. They want you back, even if you can't follow their guidelines.

It is extremely arrogant of people to impose their own meanings on someone else's rules and guidelines. It's one thing if you're new and don't know better; it's supremely arrogant if you know better and don't care.

You wanna have truly casual main dining? do Windjammer or Seabourne [i believe Seabourne will serve you while you're naked if you do it in your cabin]. You wanna have all formal all the time? do Cunard etc. Carnival requests 'resort casual' or formal for dinner. Why can't people just do it?

Let me offer a round of applause!:)

Just because you can get away with wearing jeans at dinner doesn't mean you should do it. It's disrespectful to the other passengers, the staff, and the whole cruise experience. You're taking advantage of everyone else's politeness, which is the very definition of rude.

Just because you can get away with wearing jeans at dinner doesn't mean you should do it. It's disrespectful to the other passengers, the staff, and the whole cruise experience. You're taking advantage of everyone else's politeness, which is the very definition of rude.

Would you like some cheese with that whine:rolleyes:

Get a way with what??? There is no rule against wearing jeans in the dining room. Rude? How about people who make up rules to serve their own self interest? People who could careless about other who just want to enjoy a week without having to worry about the dressing up. Not everyone likes to dress up. Wearing jeans hurts no one. Why do some people continue to act like it does.

If it does not bother Carnival, why does it bother you? And clearly Carnival is okay with jeans in the dining room, since they make no effort to prevent anyone wearing jeans from entering the dining room. Other cruise lines actually do have rules against jeans in the dining room, but Carnival does not. If this is a problem for you, then perhaps Carnival might not be the best choice of cruise lines for you.

The paperwork I was sent from Carnival said resort wear at dinner. Can I wear a skirt from Columbia or Capri's from Columbia sportswear? They are big where I live in Portland, Oregon and I have a ton which I wear in hot weather and they dry fast if they get wet so they are great for travel and they dry overnight in the bathroom. Can I wear those with a nice top from Chicos or J.Jill or Tommy Bahama??

TIA

Packing now and need help:confused:

Here is a link to Carnival's dress code, You'll be fine, read for yourself.

http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Your right!

Your wrong!

Excuse me? This statement below does sound like whining to me:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by shiloh25

"just because blah blah blah......

And by the way no one is getting away with wearing jeans.

If they let you, then how does that mean you are getting away with it:confused:

And as far as you blatantly say I'm wrong, that's my opinion! Does not make it right or wrong;)

I don't understand why people don't get that the restaurant on the ship is not Chili's, is it that difficult to NOT wear jeans. Jeans are pretty casual and the restaurant is not.

Of course, all five star restaurants have conga lines parading around while the guests are trying to finish desert. All the five star restaurants I've been to have the waiters and waitresses dress up in very colorful clothes and sing and dance while the guests are still eating. All the five star restaurant reviews I have read comment on how the guest are broken up into three color groups (red, white and blue) and that at dinner the scores are announced while the people in those color groups cheer on their teams. Not to mention that all five star restaurants have thousands of meals cooked ahead of time so the thousands of guests that are seated all at the same time will not have to wait for their dinners to be cooked.

The bottom line is, the restaurants on Carnival are very casual. That is how Carnival treats them. These are fun ships, not stuffy ships. Apparently many of the anti jeans groups simply don't understand this.

Putting table cloths on the tables and waiters and waitresses in uniforms does not change a three star restaurant into a five star restaurant. These are not five star restaurants, and Carnival does not treat them that way. I am sorry you cannot see beyond the window dressing, but the fact is that these are very casual restaurants and are treated that way by Carnival. There is no reason the guests cannot feel relaxed and wear jeans in these restaurants.

When is the last time Crystal broke its passengers up into three groups by color, and announced the color teams scores during dinner, amid cheering by the members of each color team? When is the last time Crystal had a conga line circling the dining room, lead by the waiters and waitresses? When is the last time Crystal had its waiters and waitresses dress up in very colorful costumes and sing and dance during dinner?

The anti jeans group's premise is that the restaurants on Carnival are formal restaurants. They are not, as evidenced by the way Carnival itself treats the dining experience. With the anti jean's foundation for all its arguments being a myth, the anti jean's arguments fail completely.

Excuse me? This statement below does sound like whining to me:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by shiloh25

"just because blah blah blah......

And by the way no one is getting away with wearing jeans.

If they let you, then how does that mean you are getting away with it:confused:

And as far as you blatantly say I'm wrong, that's my opinion! Does not make it right or wrong;)

There is a specific dress code, those who do not follow it are trying to get away with something, and in many cases suceeding. That does not make it right.

The fact that some people are bothered by others blatant disregard for the rules does not make them whinny.

You have the right to an opinion, that doesn't mean your opinon is right.

I still say "you are wrong".

Get a way with what??? There is no rule against wearing jeans in the dining room. Rude? How about people who make up rules to serve their own self interest? People who could careless about other who just want to enjoy a week without having to worry about the dressing up. Not everyone likes to dress up. Wearing jeans hurts no one. Why do some people continue to act like it does.

If it does not bother Carnival, why does it bother you? And clearly Carnival is okay with jeans in the dining room, since they make no effort to prevent anyone wearing jeans from entering the dining room. Other cruise lines actually do have rules against jeans in the dining room, but Carnival does not. If this is a problem for you, then perhaps Carnival might not be the best choice of cruise lines for you.

There is a rule

Is there a dress code for the dining room? spacer.gif Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Jeans are not slacks

Let me make a small point. You go into a fancy restaurant that has linen table cloths and waiters wearing tuxedo's and you're dressed for Burger King. Please, please please do not complain if your dinner tastes like food from Burger King. Isn't that what you dressed for?? One other small note. Don't you think that the cruise lines are aware of the fact that so many of their customers appear to have little or no self respect? Why cater to those with manners and respect for their fellow diners when they can get away with not doing their best for their customers that "don't care" ??? Don't whine about food quality going down hill if you're gonna dress like one of the Beverly Hill Billy's at dinner !!! Enough said !!!

Let me make a small point. You go into a fancy restaurant that has linen table cloths and waiters wearing tuxedo's and you're dressed for Burger King. Please, please please do not complain if your dinner tastes like food from Burger King. Isn't that what you dressed for?? One other small note. Don't you think that the cruise lines are aware of the fact that so many of their customers appear to have little or no self respect? Why cater to those with manners and respect for their fellow diners when they can get away with not doing their best for their customers that "don't care" ??? Don't whine about food quality going down hill if you're gonna dress like one of the Beverly Hill Billy's at dinner !!! Enough said !!!

I have no clue what you are talking about. I found the food to be very good. Read my review. http://www.cruise-critic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=18296

The problem here is people believe they have the right to dictate the clothing that other people can wear. Clearly Carnival is less concerned about that then all the anti jeans people. The only people that have a problem with jeans in the dining rooms are the poeple posting such on this board.

You refer to the restaurant as a fancy restaurant that has linen tables and waiters wearing tuxedos. Then you are concerned about the way I am dressed. Well, I have been to real fancy restaurants with linen tables and waiters wearing tuxedos and they don't break the guests into teams by color. They don't announce the scores every night amid cheering by the respective teams. They don't have their waiters dress in fancy colorful costumes and sing and dance while their their guests are finishing dinner. And they don't start a conga line to parade around the restaurant during dessert. Finally, I have never found the taste of the food change as a result of the type of clothing I was wearinig.

The fact is, Carnival does not treat the dining experience like true four star restaurant would. Linen table cloths and waiters wearing tuxedos is window dressing. That does not turn a three star restaurant into a four star restaurant. Carnival treats the dining room as part of the "fun ship" experience. It is too bad that you are unable to enjoy it for what it is.

The bottom line is, Carnival does not treat its restaurant as a four star restaurant. Carnival wants its guest to have fun. If this is unacceptable to you, then perhaps Carnival is not the cruise line for you. Carnival is perfectly comfortable with guest wearing jeans in the restaurant for dinner. Why is that a problem for you?

There is a specific dress code, those who do not follow it are trying to get away with something, and in many cases suceeding. That does not make it right.

The fact that some people are bothered by others blatant disregard for the rules does not make them whinny.

You have the right to an opinion, that doesn't mean your opinon is right.

I still say "you are wrong".

This is where "you are wrong:) " The dress code is not specific, if it were, it would state that jeans are not allowed in non formal dining. they are suggesting only. Here in, that's where the problem lies. Believe me, if they wanted to be specific they could, but they don't.

And again, no one is getting away with wearing jeans on non formal nite.

They let them in because its permitted:rolleyes:

And what really cracks me up is the ones that wear the jeans on non formal nite are not the ones complaing(whining)

It's the ones who see the jeans in the dining room and get on their high horse and start bringing up the rules and disrespect and call them names like bubbas.......blah blah blah.........(whining):rolleyes:

If it's such a big problem, e-mail, write, fill out comment form etc. instead of preaching whats right and whats wrong:)

My opinion only:)

Archived