Cruising Sunday to Mexico.....need help with a question

I, for one, am planning to dress to hilt for formal night in a beautiful gown I purchasedfrom Nordstrom's[for $30!] If anyone else plans on wearing t-shirts, or their blue-jeaned fringed cut-offs, I don't care.That won't stop me from "playing dressup".I am there to have fun,however I dress, and will not be offended by anyones atire.[life is really way too short for that.]Maybe it's because I'm a nudist, but I find this entire thread a little humorous.I think people are sometimes a little too offended by stuff that isn't really important, to be offended by the cruelty, indifference to others pain,and suffering in this world.JMHO

I, for one, am planning to dress to hilt for formal night in a beautiful gown I purchasedfrom Nordstrom's[for $30!] If anyone else plans on wearing t-shirts, or their blue-jeaned fringed cut-offs, I don't care.That won't stop me from "playing dressup".I am there to have fun,however I dress, and will not be offended by anyones atire.[life is really way too short for that.]Maybe it's because I'm a nudist, but I find this entire thread a little humorous.I think people are sometimes a little too offended by stuff that isn't really important, to be offended by the cruelty, indifference to others pain,and suffering in this world.JMHO

Wow a gown from Nordstroms for $30.00? That's a great deal:) I like the way you thing Vickivicki, but I think t-shirts and blue jeaned fringed cut offs are no place for formal nite:) They are not allowed according to Carnivals rules.

But, no reason not to wear nice jeans on non formal nites;) Nothing states that you can't.

Once again it is Carnival's dress code that dictates what to wear in the dining room and it still does not include jeans.

Wow! Now Carnival DICTATES what to wear:confused: Sounds more like a suggestion to me;)

It appears that this will continue to be a problem until the cruise line actually enforces their own dress code.

People will not follow the guidelines themselves, they either cant read, or dont care. It is just that simple.

Fortunately there have been reports that the lines are starting to enforce the guidelines more, this is a good thing.

As I understand it, there are non-formal places to eat, if you dont want to dress formally, then there are places for you to eat as well. If you do want to attend the formal events then you should dress according to the guidelines.

If you don’t know what formal means, then you probably should not be unsupervised anyway.

The point is, there are formal events, when attending one you should dress appropriately, as you would on any formal occasion, weddings, funerals, formal award banquets etc.

It really is not complicated.

And there are alternatives if you don’t want to attend a formal function.

It appears that this will continue to be a problem until the cruise line actually enforces their own dress code.

People will not follow the guidelines themselves, they either cant read, or dont care. It is just that simple.

Fortunately there have been reports that the lines are starting to enforce the guidelines more, this is a good thing.

As I understand it, there are non-formal places to eat, if you dont want to dress formally, then there are places for you to eat as well. If you do want to attend the formal events then you should dress according to the guidelines.

If you don’t know what formal means, then you probably should not be unsupervised anyway.

The point is, there are formal events, when attending one you should dress appropriately, as you would on any formal occasion, weddings, funerals, formal award banquets etc.

It really is not complicated.

And there are alternatives if you don’t want to attend a formal function.

I totally agree:) But we were not talking about formal nites:) We were talking about non formal nites. This is how things get twisted on here:)

For what it's worth, as far as the jeans thing, the maitre-d' on the Miracle specified over the PA, on the second night, that on non-formal nights diners must wear "long pants." (He repeated it to stress the point, so I remember it well.) No mention was made of jeans.

For what it's worth, as far as the jeans thing, the maitre-d' on the Miracle specified over the PA, on the second night, that on non-formal nights diners must wear "long pants." (He repeated it to stress the point, so I remember it well.) No mention was made of jeans.

Yep:)

This thread is a great hoot to read. It's almost identical to the smuggling liquor threads. People treat the Carnival guidelines/rules/policies as if they were written in stone by the hand of God. I don't care who you are, it is human nature to evaluate a rule and follow or ignore it based on your own preferences. People value different rules in different ways . . . you may think the Carnival dress code rules are to be followed in all instances but I bet there was a rule somewhere, sometime, that you thought was stupid and you didn't follow it.

This is from the FAQ:

What should I pack?spacer.gifThe first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and [casual?] resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. [Hmmm. This seems to define "casual attire and resort wear" as including shorts. No mention of jeans being allowed. Are you sure you can wear jeans on board without violating the ship dress code? Shorts are specifically allowed, but not jeans?] You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops). [specific grant of authority to dress "casually" for dinner on non-formal nights. Is this "casual" different than the "casual attire" defined above? Notice it says "casually", it does not say "casual resort wear".]

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. [LMAO, the Lido has a "casual dress code", but I thought the dining room allowed "casually" on non-formal nights too according to the preceding sentence. So is the "casually" for the dining room different than the "casual" for the Lido?] Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [Hmmm. Now we have a different definition. "Casual resort wear" is specifically defined to not include t-shirts, tank tops, and bathing attire. Nowhere does this policy state you have to wear "casual resort wear" to dinner . . . . it says you may dress "casually" for dinner. The only time "casual resort wear" is used is in the first underlined sentence.]

LMAO, what a terribly written policy.

This thread is a great hoot to read. It's almost identical to the smuggling liquor threads. People treat the Carnival guidelines/rules/policies as if they were written in stone by the hand of God. I don't care who you are, it is human nature to evaluate a rule and follow or ignore it based on your own preferences. People value different rules in different ways . . . you may think the Carnival dress code rules are to be followed in all instances but I bet there was a rule somewhere, sometime, that you thought was stupid and you didn't follow it.

This is from the FAQ:

What should I pack?spacer.gifThe first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and [casual?] resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. [Hmmm. This seems to define "casual attire and resort wear" as including shorts. No mention of jeans being allowed. Are you sure you can wear jeans on board without violating the ship dress code? Shorts are specifically allowed, but not jeans?] You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops). [specific grant of authority to dress "casually" for dinner on non-formal nights. Is this "casual" different than the "casual attire" defined above? Notice it says "casually", it does not say "casual resort wear".]

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. [LMAO, the Lido has a "casual dress code", but I thought the dining room allowed "casually" on non-formal nights too according to the preceding sentence. So is the "casually" for the dining room different than the "casual" for the Lido?] Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [Hmmm. Now we have a different definition. "Casual resort wear" is specifically defined to not include t-shirts, tank tops, and bathing attire. Nowhere does this policy state you have to wear "casual resort wear" to dinner . . . . it says you may dress "casually" for dinner. The only time "casual resort wear" is used is in the first underlined sentence.]

LMAO, what a terribly written policy.

Yep! You are exactly right:) Until they are more specific with their dress code, people will continue to wear jeans (on non formal nites).

I love this part:

On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops). [specific grant of authority to dress "casually" for dinner on non-formal nights. Is this "casual" different than the "casual attire" defined above? Notice it says "casually", it does not say "casual resort wear".]

LOL, and then there is this:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

What is it Carnival? One policy says "casually" allowed in the dining room, and another says "casual resort wear".

Archived