Wine in Southampton

Thanks Elaine,

We've often found it worthwhile to buy our wine prior to boarding. We're on princess out of Southampton on July 15th so we may give it shot.

Provided you're not a wine buff, you might like to buy it in 3ltr boxes; the quality has improved greatly over the years and it's easier to transport than bottles (and less likely to fall prey to the alcohol police on boarding). Reckon on paying about 12 to 20GBP per box (there is often a decent one on special offer).

Mary

The big supermarkets offer a great selection of wines at reasonable prices

In central Southampton there are 2 'supermarkets' that sell alcohol.

Waitrose - ground floor of West Quay shopping Centre

Asda - attached to West Quay shopping centre.

Also inside West Quay is Marks & Spencers that probably sell alcohol, but I've never bought it there so can't be sure.

If going by Cab (or more importantly leaving by cab) Waitrose is probably best as you just turn left as you leave the store and the exit with taxi rank is right there.

Asda is perceived as the cheaper, but might be more difficult to get cab from (long time since I shopped there- can't remember how far I had to go to find cab:) )

I'm not sure whats available outside of West Quay - there used to be an 'off-licence' in Southampton High street but I've got a feeling its closed now.

Simplest option might be to ask a taxi to take you to an oiff licence or easier to 'access' (i.e. park outside) supermarket & ask him to wait - though I don't know if there is anything particularly close!.

hope some of this ramble:D helps

Karen

PS I don't often make it through all the boards I want to visit in one day and as ports of call is towards the bottom or the page, it often gets forgotten. You don't say which line you are going with, but you might like to ask on one of the cruise line based boards that have ships that leave from Southampton - for example Cunard or P&O (there might be a few P&O UK sailors in among the Austrailian crowd:D )

• 2 weeks later...
You must be the first person ever to suggest wine from a box.........you must be from Cromer................just a joke....Norwich maybe.

Brian

Actually, I have to come clean and admit I don't live in Norfolk and I'm not called Mary; until recently I lived for most of the time in a place called Dorneywood, and it was my dear wife Pauline who suggested the boxed wine (although English is my 93rd language, so she may have recommended it for fluffing up ones hair nicely).

As I used to work on the cruise liners, she suggested I use up some of the massive amount of spare time I now have helping people out on these boards (I used to spend hours and hours punching voters, at office parties and playing croquet, but my friend TB has stopped me hitting the electorate, confiscated my croquet set and Pauline has banned the parties, which is a shame). As she always says, the devil makes work for idle hands, and he certainly did for me.

So, Brian old chap, if there's anything else I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards, JP

Wonderful to read a post from someone with a sense of humour - well done!!!

You'll notice I spelled it 'humour' and not 'humor' so you'll know I'm a Brit, too - in fact I'm not - I'm a Scot - BIG difference! Seriously, well done, enjoyed the joke immensely!

Pat

Wonderful to read a post from someone with a sense of humour - well done!!!

You'll notice I spelled it 'humour' and not 'humor' so you'll know I'm a Brit, too - in fact I'm not - I'm a Scot - BIG difference! Seriously, well done, enjoyed the joke immensely!

Pat

Thank you, sir. However, before we become too chummy my husband noticed that you are a Scot, muttered mysteriously that we all have our cross to bear, and wishes to know if you will be wearing what he describes as 'Paraguayan strip' next Saturday. Have no idea what he is chuntering on about, but have been forbidden from further communication until you reply in the negative.

Please advise urgently

Mary

Is something happening next Saturday?

Kindly Chap, where have you been for the last six months? It is, of course, the International Ladies Knitting Circle Final, a real needle match for us as we are up against Paraguay, starting at 2pm. We have been training all year by frantically knitting patriotic St George's Crosses (you may have seen the fruits of our endeavours, which in our usual altruistic fashion we have donated to various unfortunates of limited IQ to display on their cars). In particular, our husbands are hugely looking forward to this (attendance compulsory, withdrawal of ALL services the unfortunate outcome of non-compliance). Look forward to seeing you.

Casting off now, Mary

Archived