Port vs Starboard

DrSHF

This is probably a naive question...but, on transatlantic crossings, is there any reason to choose port vs starboard cabin when traveling east or west. I imagine that being on the south side of the ship in the North Atlantic affords more sunlight, but what about wind when dealing with a balcony. I don't think the acronym POSH applies to these crossings. Please advise.

This is probably a naive question...but, on transatlantic crossings, is there any reason to choose port vs starboard cabin when traveling east or west. I imagine that being on the south side of the ship in the North Atlantic affords more sunlight, but what about wind when dealing with a balcony. I don't think the acronym POSH applies to these crossings. Please advise.

Do try to choose the sunny side of the ship, POSH does apply to These ships, but only from Southanpton!

Do try to choose the sunny side of the ship, POSH does apply to These ships, but only from Southampton!

Yes, if you want the sunny side, however the acronym "POSH" is said to have come from the route From England to India in the days of the Raj, from the time before air conditioning, when the shady side of the ship was cooler and considered the more upmarket. Of course there is no evidence to confirm this story though and it appears to have been dreamed up retrospectively to match an existing meaning.

Yes, if you want the sunny side, however the acronym "POSH" is said to have come from the route From England to India in the days of the Raj, from the time before air conditioning, when the shady side of the ship was cooler and considered the more upmarket. Of course there is no evidence to confirm this story though and it appears to have been dreamed up retrospectively to match an existing meaning.

You are right, and it amused me when I booked TA that I was going "POSH" for opposite reasons than people at one time did, namely, they were avoiding the sun, I wanted it. They were going east, I was going west.

I also have to agree with you that there is no evidence to link POSH with India, the empire, P&O etc.

It's one of those nice things that sound right. And therfore I (and many others) use it because the word itself can be used to describe people and its acronym used in liner context, says it all. Even to the extent that I've always tried to return on the starboard side of the 'plane.

I have a list somewhere that gave other versions of what POSH means, wish I could find it, there were many very plausible explanations for its origins. Some were a little farfetched. One said that "Port Out, Starboard Home" only started with the song from "Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang"! Some I remember were very politically incorrect (and so I will not repeat them). Some came from India as a description of newly arrived British by those who had either been there many years or had been born there. I wish I could remember the explanations. Damn getting old.

Anyone else have any ideas? When is the earliest reference to POSH and when the earliest to PORT OUT, STARBOARD HOME?

Love to know. (now off to google)

Archived