Where is the Pieta in St Peter's Basilica?

Long ago, my family was in Rome and, of course, visited St. Peter's. The Pieta was at the far end of the Basilica on a matching Carrera marble base. We stood at the base and looked up at this magnificent statue by Michaelangelo. We also saw it at the New York World's Fair - we stood on a moving walkway and passed by The Pieta which was lit with ethereal blue light.

Evidently, after the man attacked the statue with an axe and The Pieta had to be sent for repair, it was moved. Nowadays, as you walk in the main entrance of the Basilica, where is the statue placed? Can you walk up to it or is it under some kind of protective covering?

I gather that visitors are no longer allowed to lie on the floor of the Sistine Chapel due to the crowds?

Also, do pilgrims still kiss the toe of the statue of St. Peter's? It was a tradition when we were there so many years ago. Thanks for your input - I will not be going back to Rome but am curious about the evolution of St. Peter's.

Ruby

Nowadays, as you walk in the main entrance of the Basilica, where is the statue placed? Can you walk up to it or is it under some kind of protective covering?

Ruby

When you walk in it is to the right...just look for the crowd and the flash's going off.It is behind a protective plexiglass,but eye level.

I gather that visitors are no longer allowed to lie on the floor of the Sistine Chapel due to the crowds?

Right, it is not allowed to even sit down.

Also, do pilgrims still kiss the toe of the statue of St. Peter's? It was a tradition when we were there so many years ago.

Many pilgrims at least touch it.

You are Correct. The Sistine Chapel is too crowded to lie down on the floor, so we sat on benches and arched back.Still, its dizzying, but worth it!

Some still kiss the statue of St. Peter, but most kiss their fingers and touch the foot.

With the Pieta on the right, does she occupy her own space or is she in a line of statues? Does she stand out from the surrounding environment?

She was a beautiful sight when I saw her sitting so gracefully, in such deep pain at the loss of her son, at the far end of the basilica. She had pride of place and sole possession of the area.

Thanks for updating me. I love masterful art in all forms because I have not one atom of artistic ability. To pull out those magnificent figures from a solid block of marble "surpasseth all understanding." I've seen a video of another tiny town in Italy that has a shrouded horizontal Jesus and the shroud is so well rendered that it looks like a gauze veil over the body.

I've been wondering how much "furniture moving" the Vatican does on the rare occasion. In photos, St Peter's seems like a large church; in person, the entire architectural layout of buildings and interior furnishings were overwhelming to this kid back in the day.

Thanks, everybody.

Ruby

Thanks so much for posting your excellent photo. Maybe it's because I'm "all growed up" but she looks even more magnificent than I remember.

I was always frustrated that the last time I saw her was in that ethereal blue light as seen from the moving walkway in New York City. And your photo proves that out.

Again, thanks for showing me that marvelous piece of marble which is a serendipitous result of artist, subject, and stone.

Ruby

Archived