River Cruise and carry-ons

S&B

We just received our documents today from Avalon and were told that we could not have a carry-on larger than 12in x 12in. Which they provided a very nice bag of that size. I am not really surprised at this but I would like to know what other people do. Do you just take your regular carry-ons anyway and if not how do you bring anything home? Our cameras will take up one of those bags. I wanted to buy a couple of nice porcelain items in Budapest but without a carry-on have no way to bring it home. I will not put it in our checked luggage.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I might add that we are taking a bus from Nurenburg to Prague and I am sure that there is not much room in the overheads as you have on a plane.

Thanks. (P.S. My husband will be thrilled if I cannot take a carry-on thus I cannot buy anything)

You caught something I didn't with those dimensions for a carry-on. I can't see how it is possible to follow the suggestion to bring a change of clothes in case your luggage is delayed, and use that small bag they sent. Guess I have to think about this!! I'm also not crazy about carrying around a bag identifying me as a tourist - not that it won't be obvious I guess. Oh, these last minute decisions.

Hi Livestotravel,

We got home this afternoon and our docs were at our door. In your little booklet (about 28 pages) on page 3 you will find the carry-on suggestions. I am sure it is because of the bus tour. We have a carry-on that folds up and when it unfolds it has wheels and is kind of like a small shopping cart that you pull along. I will still take one regular carry-on with us. I am hoping that we will get some suggestions from other river cruisers. The bag they sent us I am going to take as my personal item on the plane.

I see these business travelers take their carry-on plus their computer. Our sons travel that way and I keep asking how they do it!

You only have a week left before you leave. :) Happy Day!!

Archived