QE2 at least 20 years older than thought!

dougnewmanatsea

Well, not really. But on page 11 of this month's "The Cunarder" (the Cunard World Club past-passenger magazine) is a photo with the following caption:

"In 1949 Hilary A. Blanchard and her mother had afternoon tea on the Sun Deck aboard QE2."

The accompanying black-and-white photo is of a young girl and her mother wearing very 1949-looking fashions, sitting on a very 1949-looking deck chair.

I guess they got the year right, but nobody realised that QE2 wasn't around in 1949!

The next photo is captioned "In April 2004 Hilary is a guest of QE2 once again, during the historic Tandem Crossing of QM2 and QE2 from New York to Southampton."

That one shows a woman standing in the Midships Lobby aboard QE2 (in its current decor scheme), so perhaps they at least got one of the two right...

No Peter I didn't - I would have written the truth ...... 1959 !!Ken

oooh I think thats a little unfair.....as originally built the QE2 was undoubtedly a product of the late 60s - and quite a stylish product too.....now she's a bit of a time machine, with hints of the sixties overlaid with dollops of faux-Edwardiana......but wait until we see the Queen Vic:eek:

Peter

Archived