Toddler + Rays = ?

barefootscribe

We're going to be in GC in October of this year and I want to go see the rays and do some snorkeling from Eden Rock. I'm concerned about taking my DD (who will be 2) for the rays, tho. She's normally fearless around animals (loves dogs and bugs and walks right up to cows and similar sized animals) but should I risk taking her to see them? Of course I'll have her bundled up in a floaty suit and probably not let go of her the whole time, paranoid mom that I am, but has anyone else even tried this with real little kids? Would you take them again or is the stress not worth it?

Also, any recommendations from folks who have done tours with toddlers? Is there a company anyone could recommend that's good (or at least patient) with littles?

Thanks!

I've seen children as young as four do great, but two is really very young. There's probably no way to know whether she'll adore them, or scream her poor head off, until you actually get into that situation. Quick question - have you visited the rays before? I ask because I didn't think I'd be afraid at all, but initially they did scare me just because of their size, and since babies often take fear cues from their parents, I think that probably factors in too. If you're comfy and relaxed about it, it's more likely she'd be fine.

Your best bet is probably to check out a tour you think you'd like, then email them and ask about your specific situation (it's probably a common one). :)

We are going on the Carnival Valor in August. We plan on do the Stingray tour. I have 3 kids, and my youngest wll be 2 yrs old. We plan on taking her on this with us. I think she will be ok. If not, one of us can always hold her while the other takes turns in the water. Im looking forward to this tour.

We had our 2-year-old with us at Stingray City. She wasn't crazy about the sting ray when the dude held it up to her. She was screaming. But just for a second or two.

The bigger problems is that Stingray City was waaay too crowded (it was the last week of March) and people were jammed in and, worse, boats were jammed in. We were on a Captain Marvin's boat, which was fine, but a crowded ferry boat was anchored waaaaay too close to us. And that seemed dangerous.

Our 2-year-old just bobbed around otherwise. But you do have to be careful, as they will anchor in water that is 5-to-6 feet deep. Have lots of people available to help with the toddler.

We just got back from a cruise on the Conquest, our son is 2 1/2 and we booked the Stingray City, Hell, and Turtle Farm excursion thru Carnival. He did fine and seemed to really enjoy the Singrays. I am glad we took him.

Archived