Playa Uvas

rscima

We did snorkeling on our own, since I’m soo familiar with the area. LOL

We geared up and got in the water and began snorkeling. This is my favorite thing to do!!

Off we went into the ocean with my new camera. We saw several fish, parrot fish, other types of fish that I have no idea what they are called! LOL. We also saw 2 stingrays. I saw 4 barracudas!! I guess I attracted them! My DH is not a really good swimmer and I went off to where some coral is at to take some pictures of fish. Well I leave my husband behind and go off to the deep and I’m happy with my camera and I’m just taking pictures. Well, I get a feeling that something is watching me and I look to the right and I see a barracuda. I gasp for air. (those things scare the piss out of me!!) I put my head back in the water and I still see it there, just watching me. Well I look the left and OMG, OMG, OMG!! There are 3 more!!! I wasn’t brave enough to take a picture of them. They look really mean. So I start swimming towards the shore where my husband is at and basically stuck by his side the entire time we were snorkeling. That’s when we saw 2 stingray’s. I believe that the snorkeling has gotten better since my last time and I just can’t wait to go back!! I absolutely love snorkeling! It's a whole new world to me. I'm really amazed how clear the water is in Cozumel. If your hesitant to snorkel, I would highly recommend Playa Uvas. They offer guided tours or if you would like to do it on your own you can do that as well.

PC050208.jpg

The coral/reef. This is where I saw the 4 barracudas.

PC050207.jpg

PC050233.jpg

PC050210.jpg<-- This a pic of the sting ray. It is right here........

Look up. it was white with black spots. I didn't see it at first. But my Dh had to point him out to me.

PC050217.jpg

Parrot fish

PC050231.jpg

The bigger fish was white with some spots on it. I could barely see it in the water because it's complexion was like the sand at the bottom of the water.

I have to say that during our trip to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel the weather was very windy and made snorkeling a little hard. (our sting ray excursion was canceled due to the winds in Grand Cayman...so you get my drift.) I had to keep fighting with the waves and my camera. LOL I still don't know how to remove the blue tint to my pictures but if i learn how to these pictures would come out even clearer. For the life of me, I can't dive down to get closer to the fish so I have to take my pictures far away. However, I am very happy with my new camera. It takes better pictures than the disposable kind!

We have never been to Playa Uvas but thinking about trying it. I have a few questions: If we have our own snorkel equipment can we go out on our own? We don't drink alcohol but would like to go ahead & have non-alcoholic daquiris etc....would we be able to do that anytime since we are not watiing on a snorkel guide?

Thanks!!!

We have never been to Playa Uvas but thinking about trying it. I have a few questions: If we have our own snorkel equipment can we go out on our own? We don't drink alcohol but would like to go ahead & have non-alcoholic daquiris etc....would we be able to do that anytime since we are not watiing on a snorkel guide?

Thanks!!!

If you are snorkeling on your own you can go snorkeling anytime that you like. The only reason that they limit what people can drink before they go snorkeling is because they don't want a whole bunch of people getting drunk and then trying to go snorkeling and possibly drowning!:eek:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

please post a review when you get back! :)

If you are snorkeling on your own you can go snorkeling anytime that you like. The only reason that they limit what people can drink before they go snorkeling is because they don't want a whole bunch of people getting drunk and then trying to go snorkeling and possibly drowning!:eek:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

please post a review when you get back! :)

Thank you so much!! I am sure it has been answered here before but do you have any idea how much a taxi would cost? We will be in Coz (2nd leg of our b2b) on the Valor first week in Feb. but not sure which port we will dock at.

Thanks again

did the cab to Chakannab park last January on the Mariner of the Seas posted rate was $10 per cab not per person.

Cabby tried to charge 10 per person suggested we call the Taxi official at the pier he then said 10 for the cab (2 of us) was correct.On way back to pier the charge was a no nonsense $10 plus I gave a $2.00 tip

We were there on the 2nd. It was a last minute decision, walking down the pier. Carminita took great care of us, as did David (snorkeling) and Juaquin(iirc) behind the bar, and Betty gave me a great massage. :p

Really a wonderful day. Thanks for all the info here, y'all!

I just like to give Eduardo at Playa Uvas some kudos. We have been debating back and forth what to do, but finally decided that we would reserve in advance. I submitted the registration form at 11:50am on Sunday and he responded confirming my reservation in exactly 11 minutes! We will be there in 9 days, and I cannot wait!

After snorkeling, our lunch was served. YUM FAJITAS!! I think they are the best here!!

PC050242.jpg

PC050243.jpg

After eating lunch, we downed a big glass of the Hawaiian coconut (i think that's what it's called), we relaxed and enjoy our view and I remembered our wedding day that took place there a year ago.

PC050245.jpg

We took a couple of pictures and we said goodbye to Playa Uvas and to everyone else. I made sure that we tipped the bartender and our waiter. They always work hard to keep us happy!!

PC050244.jpg

The service, food, and snorkeling was great!! We always enjoy our day while we are there, even if it's just for a couple of hours. Next time we go, I plan on spending the entire day there so that I can snorkel more. Maybe one day I can be brave enough to do the scuba diving class! :cool:

I highly recommend Playa Uvas, there service is always superb!! It's always quiet, peaceful and relaxing..... oh, I wish I was there again!!

If anyone has any questions just ask and hopefully I can answer them. :D

I have another question....how much is a normal tip for the waiter & bartender?

Thanks!!

I have another question....how much is a normal tip for the waiter & bartender?

Thanks!!

How much you would like to tip them is really up to you. For example, the last time I went up there I tipped our waiter $20 bucks and the bartender $5 or $10 bucks. Sorry I don't recall. The only reason why I tipped the waiter so much is b/c I felt like he did an outstanding job.

However, you can tip the waiter about $5 per person and if you want to tip the bartender i would say about $3 bucks too. (depends on how much drinks you order) and if you would like to tip the tour guide I would say $3-5 bucks.

I hope this helps you out some. Feel free to ask any other questions. :)

How much you would like to tip them is really up to you. For example, the last time I went up there I tipped our waiter $20 bucks and the bartender $5 or $10 bucks. Sorry I don't recall. The only reason why I tipped the waiter so much is b/c I felt like he did an outstanding job.

However, you can tip the waiter about $5 per person and if you want to tip the bartender i would say about $3 bucks too. (depends on how much drinks you order) and if you would like to tip the tour guide I would say $3-5 bucks.

I hope this helps you out some. Feel free to ask any other questions. :)

Thank you again!!! That is a big help. I reserved us a time there for our day in Cozumel on the 6th of Feb. I didn't reserve the kayak or snorkeling part only the food & open bar...AND I did book a massage....it will be the first one ever for me (besides the ones from my DH which are pretty amazing!!)

Our group just got back from Playa Uvas on Saturday, January 17th. This was my daughter's wedding cruise, she was married in Tampa right before we sailed. We made a reservation for 70 I think but 81 of us came to Playa Uvas for the day. What a day it was!!! Everyone had a ball, unfortunately the winds were high so there was no snorkeling tour but later in the day some were allowed to go snorkeling. Eduardo, Carmen, and his staff were friendly and attentive. Many of our guests got henna tattoos and massages. Boy did the guests LOVE the massages. I can't thank Eduardo enough for such a wonderful day at the beach. Our friends and family could not have had a better time anywhere else.

Next time i go there I plan on getting a massage. It's sad to know how many times I have been there but never a massage! I can't help it! I love snorkeling there! lol

Please post a review when you get back! :)

I will definetly post a review....I have got so much information from these boards that it is only right to pay it back.

Our group just got back from Playa Uvas on Saturday, January 17th. This was my daughter's wedding cruise, she was married in Tampa right before we sailed. We made a reservation for 70 I think but 81 of us came to Playa Uvas for the day. What a day it was!!! Everyone had a ball, unfortunately the winds were high so there was no snorkeling tour but later in the day some were allowed to go snorkeling. Eduardo, Carmen, and his staff were friendly and attentive. Many of our guests got henna tattoos and massages. Boy did the guests LOVE the massages. I can't thank Eduardo enough for such a wonderful day at the beach. Our friends and family could not have had a better time anywhere else.

If you are unable to go snorkling do they refund your money?

If you are unable to go snorkling do they refund your money?

One of the times that we've been to Uvas, when we arrived it was very windy and Carmen informed us that due to the strong winds there were no snorkeling tours, but because you pay for your reservation when you arrive, we just paid for the entry fee, lunch, and beverages. I remember we stayed like 3 hours; I had a massage and then we went downtown shopping.

The winds were too high for kayaking on Wednesday when we were there, so we just paid for the entry and enjoyed a morning of just 3 guests! Later in the afternoon, so tours came through for snorkleing, so we were able to join up with them. It was very nice.

Just back from the Carnival Valor, and we had a great day at Playa Uvas. I didn't make a reservation, as we had been up in the air with what to do in Cozumel. The taxi ride was 10 each way for 2 of us. When we walked in, they asked which package we wanted. We have our own snorkel equip, so all we really wanted was a chair and umbrella. It was $10 per person. BUT - the money was then applied to our bar bill! So, 2 margaritas and 2 beers only cost 2 dollars! We did get some envious looks when we received some giant drinks, and others on the packages were served in smaller plastic cups.

There were plenty of waiters around, and the girls kept coming around offering massages. I would say to get there early, if you go on your own, as there are other tours that come through - and even though they don't stay long, they pounced all over every open chair. I really don't know what time we arrived there, but we left the ship about 11am - so it was probably around 11:15-11:30. There were only 24 chairs set up the day we were there, although there is plenty of seating in the restaurant area.

We didn't order any food, so I can't comment on that - but the snorkeling was wonderful, the bathrooms were clean, and the staff was very friendly.

Taxis were lined up right out front when we left - about 2:30pm

Yes, we did get a refund, of course. Eduardo explained that the winds were much too high and the surf was very rough. He said if the weather calmed down he would allow people to snorkel at no cost. Some of our group did that but very few, we did not have a tour, however. It worked out and my granddaughter was happy to just snorkel for a short time with my brother and sister.